Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

hvtitan08
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2017, 2:32 pm

Today is Election Day - Decision 2017 is here and the race is on here in the so-called "Same-sex marriage United state" of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Today we see in the Commonwealth of Virginia whether Ralph Northam will become the new governor of Virginia, and his humble opinion on the Confederate Monuments.
The topic of the Confederate monuments is so sickening, I feel that the Governor of Virginia - hopefully Northam himself, if elected, will keep the Confederate monuments and Confederate flag high and flying, and he hopefully is not a traitor to our Confederate heritage. :heart:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 2:38 pm

I think the monument decisions should lie with the owners of the properties they are situated on. But if they do choose to keep them, there should be a sign similar to this from the Looney Tunes DVD collections:

Looney Tunes DVD Disclaimer wrote:
The cartoons you are about to see are products of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in the U.S society. These depictions were wrong then and they are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros. view of today's society, these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming that these prejudices never existed.

Basically, replace cartoons with statues.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 2:58 pm

I too am from Virginia. I feel confederate statues should be allowed as long as a statue of someone like Nat Turner be allowed also. The confederate statues should also have a disclaimer " this group of people led a revolt to keep some of Americans held against their will and forced to do menial labor to enrich the lives of people who "owned" them" . These statues were errected not to honor but to intimidate.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 10:45 pm

Northam won.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 11:08 pm

...Well. I guess Antifa will be parading down every street in the Commonwealth now and bringin' them stachies down, in an orgy of destruction, and then lining all the Sons of The Confederacy up against the nearest wall and wettin' 'em, huuhh??? Takin' 'em out like Biggie took out Tupac!! !! ! :) Sarcasm.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 9:53 pm

In regard to the OP - the Confederacy lost a long time ago, so loyalty to it is rather pointless. Also, one has to look at when the statues were put up, and why. Very often, the monuments were erected to celebrate and promote white supremacy, with all it's ugliness and murder. It must be recalled that the very first monument to be removed was one in New Orleans that commemorated white supremacy specifically in that it honored Confederate army veterans who tried to violently overthrow the Reconstruction government of the city, and lynch every black person they found. These men being remembered were thankfully shot dead by black troops. Then there are other statues erected in response to the civil rights legislation that put an end to white supremacy under state law. In my humble opinion, these monuments should be removed if they were clearly set up to oppress the black population.

Piers
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Nov 2017, 5:32 pm

I believe it's ignorant to remove history because people disagree with it, despite negative connotations where applicable. The removal of anything African slave-trade-related would also require 90% of Washington D.C. to be removed, including the White House, Capitol, Lincoln Monument, etc.

Instead, it would make more sense, cost less, and provide education to place a plaque stating that this building/monument was created with African slave-labour during YEAR.

But, of course, common sense doesn't always apply to people who want to destroy history.