Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 11:13 am

If it's normal, natural and healthy for women in their child-bearing years to have their period every month, then why is it so painful? Pain normally means something is *wrong* with our body, and without it we could end up dying of an illness or injury that needs medical attention because we just wouldn't know. And yet I was up last night with cramps and had to use a heating pad to get relief for something my body naturally does all because a human egg didn't get fertilized. And then of course there's all the lovely symptoms that start as early as two weeks *before* my period as well. :roll:

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 12:12 pm

Sorry to hear that. I can certainly relate! My periods started early at 12 and were absolutely horrific too. I was prescribed mefenamic acid that helped a little, but in the end was put on the pill. Learned how to meditate which, wishy washy as it may seem, allowed me the space to 'predict' the next cramp and count between them. Maybe it won't be helpful to anyone else but knowing when the pain reached the next peak helped me weather the storm if painkillers and all else had failed. Maybe see a doctor to ask about options available if the pain continues to disrupt your nights. The uterus is possibly the most amazing - but bestial! - organ ever evolved.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 9:49 am

It shouldn't be keeping you up all night, I don't think. You should definitely see a doctor. The friends I've had who've complained of that sort of pain had medical issues.

plainjain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2017, 8:26 pm

hi lostonearth35. Sorry you're in pain.

I think it's normal to menstruate, but maybe not so normal to have so much pain. I don't know if you should dismiss the notion that this pain is also a signal that something is wrong, and needs your attention. Especially if the pain keeps you from sleeping. Sleep is so important, your body needs a good nights rest to heal. And you can't catch up really once you're sleep deprived.

There are so many ideas on the internet for reducing menstrual pain, that I think it would be helpful for you to start searching and trying methods that sound safe, until you find some that reduce your pain.

For me, Burdock Root (taken as a supplement in a capsule form) was very helpful for reducing menstrual pain. There are so many other herbal remedies, I can't name them all for you. But you could research "herbal remedies, menstrual pain" and find a slew of information out there. Also, I'm finding that a higher fat diet works for me to the point that I don't think I need the Burdock Root anymore. To be fair, it's more than high fat for me, I'm grain free, soy free, dairy free, almost bean free (not coffee because coffee!), spinach free . . . it's mostly about reducing exorphins, and sugars/starches for me. If you do an internet search for, "menstrual pain, high fat diet", you should find some pretty good articles about that, and start there if you like. Learning about exorphins might be very helpful, too.

Meditation and a heating pad are good methods for helping to reduce menstrual pain because you don't have to ingest anything in order to feel a benefit. But when you use them, the pain is already there, and you're just trying to sooth it enough to endure it. If you can stop the pain beforehand through diet, or some other method, maybe you will be able to get the sleep your body needs.

You should be very careful before trying any herbal remedy. Learn as much as you can about it, from lots of sources, because many herbs can't be used with other conditions or medications.

Also, do mention it to your doctors, and lady friends/family members, because they could have tons of ideas you never thought of, and are worth a try.

I hope you get some relief. Pain stinks.

PurpleMoongirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2017, 4:40 am

crystaltermination wrote:
Sorry to hear that. I can certainly relate! My periods started early at 12 and were absolutely horrific too. I was prescribed mefenamic acid that helped a little, but in the end was put on the pill. Learned how to meditate which, wishy washy as it may seem, allowed me the space to 'predict' the next cramp and count between them. Maybe it won't be helpful to anyone else but knowing when the pain reached the next peak helped me weather the storm if painkillers and all else had failed. Maybe see a doctor to ask about options available if the pain continues to disrupt your nights. The uterus is possibly the most amazing - but bestial! - organ ever evolved.

Oh my gosh me too i am on mefamic acid and its a nightmare- sure it works but you have to take a day or so before to get it in your system and for me my period is like a "lucky" draw each and EVERY month. Diffrent length on cycle diffrent length in period. Warning cramps before sometimes no cramps
But usually 1-2 sets of horrific cramps so bad i cant think or am sick
I was put on the pill but that seriously messed me up im not sure how. But it was like continous pms and nonstop severe moodswings.
So yeh how can this be normal? Why does my body hate me :(
crystaltermination i feel ya!!

Cherina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2017, 6:24 am

Hi, I feel your pain, mine started young as well, and painful, bad clots, very heavy, none of my friends had that or understood, until they saw me in pain, only eased up for a few years after my kids were born, but I was diagnosed a few years ago with varicose veins in my ovaries, so now ovulation and menstruation are painful :(

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 12:44 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
If it's normal, natural and healthy for women in their child-bearing years to have their period every month, then why is it so painful? Pain normally means something is *wrong* with our body, and without it we could end up dying of an illness or injury that needs medical attention because we just wouldn't know. And yet I was up last night with cramps and had to use a heating pad to get relief for something my body naturally does all because a human egg didn't get fertilized. And then of course there's all the lovely symptoms that start as early as two weeks *before* my period as well. :roll:

Periods are not supposed to be painful. That part isn't normal, that's just it. Periods are supposed to make you feel hot sometimes and have cramps and you pop in a pill and you feel good again within a half hour and no big deal.

If your periods are so heavy they bleed through your pads or tampons and you have to change it every half hour, that is not normal. If your cramps are so bad and a pill doesn't work and you have to call in sick, that isn't normal.

I was diagnosed with hormonal issues in 6th grade so my period wasn't normal, I had to take birth control pills to make it normal. But it seems common to have medical issues with your period. Lot of women seem to have them. Then those who have normal periods don't understand those with medical issues so they think they are being p*****s about their cramps and having a period.

If your period is very painful and if they are irregular or very heavy and if a pill doesn't make the pain go away, go see your doctor.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 2:08 pm

I think the human design is a bit flawed. Fortunately for me I don’t get much period oain, but I get terrible migraines and become emotionally over the top. I hate periods, they’re so annoying.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 7:49 pm

I would go to a gynecologist and get checked for fibroids.

Most woman I've known who have had painful periods turn out to have fibroid tumors.

They're not serious, and they are not cancerous---but they have to be operated on.

Usually, this operation gets rid of the pain.

peregrina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Dec 2017, 10:23 pm

I am sorry to hear that. I can feel your pain. I suffere d from heavy period for many years and, in the past few years, it was so heavy and painful that I fainted. I had a history of ovarian cysts as well and was given various pills and injections. I tried natural remedies. Nothing worked. :( Last year, they finally found that I had fibroids and I had a total hysterctomy a few months ago. No more back pain, cramps and heavy periods. :D I still feel some discomfort at ovulation because my ovaries are kept. Period should not be painful. If cramps are getting worse and regular, you better see a gynecologist.

If you see lot of clots, you may have fibroids.

Another cause of period pain can be endometriosis.

Or maybe, depending on your age, you are entering menopause. My mom had menopausal symptoms as early as forty-two. Me, I am likely to experience menopausal symptoms in about five years because the ovaries have reduced blood supply now.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2018, 6:23 pm

That is a question I've often asked myself. I'm on the Pill now, and I still get a period every month but it's more bearable; regular, shorter and only mild cramps. Why can't periods be like that naturally without needing medication to control it?

I know a lot of women who are on some sort of medication because of extremely heavy bleeding and/or agonizing cramps. I started my periods when I was 13 and I must say that period cramps are the worst pain I've ever had in my life (I've never broken a bone or had burst appendix or kidney stones, so I know these are some things that are probably worse than period cramps, but I'm just saying that period pains are the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life). I went on the Pill when I was 18 because the period pains were interferring with my life (the flow wasn't too heavy though). I believe that was the best thing I ever did.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 7:07 am

Unless you're trying to get pregnant, I don't know why you all put up with painful periods and all that's associated with them.

I'm on Depo Provera and it's the best thing I've ever done. No more painful periods, headaches and sore boobs. No more buying pads and tampons.

All you have to do is remember to get the injection every three months.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 4:59 am

A lot of the hormone issues women have right now is estrogen dominance and low progesterone. You might want to talk to your doctor and get your hormones checked if your periods bother you so much. Normal periods can be uncomfortable but nothing Advil can't fix.

Biologically speaking periods are not very normal. :) We're suppose to be pregnant or nursing all the time and not have a lot of periods. :O Of course women are probably supposed to die after giving birth to their 8th baby as well. Don't know. It feels like our biology haven't adapted to the modern time, modern lifestyle and the need to have few babies.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 11:21 pm

All kinds of s**t can become the norm if your society/lifestyle is warped.

OP, try getting regular vigorous exercise if you don't already. That gets rid of my menstrual cramps.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 10:18 am

Having periods every month and having painful periods is not normal if by normal you mean "as in nature".

Originally women had periods just a few times a year and were getting they at later age due to poor diet and quality of life. And pain during period usually means that the body either isn't physically ready for bearing a child yet or that there are some health issues causing the pain. Back then a girl with painful periods would either be unable to get pregnant (therefore she wouldn't give her genes to next generations so the issue wouldn't be too common in society), would lose her child (same issue), possibly dieing as the result or dieing during the first childbrith (task done). And she might even die before her first sex due to lack of food and poor hygiene.

Nowadays girls get their periods earlier and more often (body thinks "Living conditions are right therefore I should give a childbirth. Why am I not getting any sperm? Maybe this month? This month? C'mon! I want to share my genes before the good conditions end! Where are the dicks?!"). Also women with health issues can get pregnant and give childbirths due to medical help, sharing their genes further. And those with painful periods can live due to painkillers and availability of food (noone dies just because they can't leave their house for a few days due to pain).

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 12:38 pm

I'm sorry that all of you are having so much pain and discomfort :( I can definitely relate.

I have always hated periods and dreaded getting mine as a child. I would cry at night because I was scared of being unprepared when it arrived. Fortunately, I was the lucky one in my family, my sisters and mother all had started by the time they were 11 and I was 12.5. I get awful cramps and usually stay home the first two days if I can. I also have ovarian cysts and endometriosis, so I think that is where a lot of my pain comes from. I'm very irregular too with my cycle, it's unpredictable and I never know when it is coming.