Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 4:00 pm

I have never actually been fired but there has been something like a 6th sense that the job wasn't a good fit and I was probably going to be fired anyway so I quit instead of being fired. Most of these instances occurred before I was aware of Aspergers and and 2 afterwards. I realize now its not about your job knowledge but how well you get along with others. Right now I am considering whether it is worth it any more as I can start drawing SS in a few months

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Nov 2017, 3:51 am

Aspinator wrote:
I have never actually been fired but there has been something like a 6th sense that the job wasn't a good fit and I was probably going to be fired anyway so I quit instead of being fired. Most of these instances occurred before I was aware of Aspergers and and 2 afterwards. I realize now its not about your job knowledge but how well you get along with others. Right now I am considering whether it is worth it any more as I can start drawing SS in a few months
I quit my 2nd job because I got in trouble with management. One manager ordered me to do something & told me to ignore all orders that didn't come from her. The head manager(temp one) of the whole store had me paged & she didn't make the page herself so I ignored it like I was supposed to & I got chewed out by her for it & didn't even have a chance to explain. We had a contract crew helping us out & shortly after I quit the contract crew took over & my ex department was dissolved into others. I would of had a hard time working in another department cuz of my disabilities so I feel like I was forced out. I guess I kind of saw my department being replaced coming but I didn't realize it at the time.
The job I mentioned earlier in this thread that I got fired for was my 3rd & I'm on Social Security Disability now. I was on SSI while I was working thou I made to much half the time to get much SSI or any at all sometimes but I was still in the program.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2017, 1:02 pm

Been fired many times. Usually how it goes is they feel I am too slow or I make too many mistakes. I work there for one week 2 max then my boss and the HR dept person have a meeting with me in the HR office. Nice and legal covering their ass making sure I can not sue and I not shoot anyone. I've called in sick one day to one job ever. I really do try my best. I have been scolded by bosses before sometimes in very rude ways. I think park of that is that because I have no college degree I am dealing with blue collar kind of people who are very grouchy and very judgemental. I've sat in my car on lunch breaks and cried because I feel like such a failure and what my boss said I really heard.

To be honest it takes me a while to learn things sometimes I guess. The few times I did not get fired for being slow (even though they really wanted to and I pleaded) eventually I get fast enough and there is no issue with me.

:(

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 12:36 pm

Only lost a job/position based on position cuts/re-formating and being the one at the bottom of the seniority ladder. Was never fired for anything performance based.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

BCTucker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2017, 5:22 pm

I was fired from my first high school job for not being able to get people to cover shifts I couldn't work due to school events. The supervisor covered me the first time, fired me the second time.

The second job I was fired for taking the working-every-other-weekend thing they told me quite literally. After about 2 months of working there, I missed a weekend shift on one of my "off" weekends. When I returned the calls asking where I was, I was told I could bring my keys back on Monday and that was that. (It should be noted on this one that the HR manager was the business owner's husband, and he blew off the first interview he scheduled with me - one that I raced to from the airport after returning from Christmas break at home. They were jerks.)

The third job I was fired from was a national chain retail job. I broke a dumb rule about coupons (using them as an employee), and when I got caught, I lied about what had happened. Then they told me more information and I changed my story to the truth - I used the coupon cause I'm broke. They asked me why I lied and I said because I didn't want to get fired. Then they all left the room and when they came back, I was fired.

The last one I wasn't fired from, but I was demoted. I got demoted, I think, for disliking the new store manager they hired above me (I was the assistant manager, acted as store manager for 3 months while they looked for someone, and was also bitter about being passed over for the job), whom I perceived to be thoroughly incompetent, but no one ever actually told me why. I didn't fit in with the employees at the new store, so eventually I voluntarily asked for half the hours and got another part time job.

I even managed to get in trouble when I resigned because the store manager didn't see my letter for a few days. She was scheduled to be there when I brought it in, but it just so happened that her sister also had a baby that day so she was gone when I got there. I asked other employees to make sure she got it since I couldn't hand it to her directly like I had planned. Still got in trouble. The next day that I was scheduled, I came in to work like normal and I was taken to the back, lectured for being rude and inconsiderate, and sent home. At least all they could do at that point was take away the remaining 3 or so days I had left on my schedule.

Sleepycat001
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2018, 10:45 pm

Was never fired but got yelled at for sleeping, lateness, using my phone, not smiling enough, not speaking loudly enough, not memorizing tables, charging the wrong price, forgetting recipes.

flynn_
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2018, 6:33 am

I got fired for making inappropiate comments about a female collegue.

Not to her, but to a male collegue who then told another male collegue and then the female collegue's friend overheard and told her.

I knew my comments were inappropiate but I didn't like her or the job so I let it out.

It was either that or slap her down next time she was rude :lol:

I don't suffer women gladly at all. Especially not ones stuck up their own asses.

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2018, 7:35 am

flynn_ wrote:
I got fired for making inappropiate comments about a female collegue.

Not to her, but to a male collegue who then told another male collegue and then the female collegue's friend overheardd and told her.

I knew my comments were inappropiate but I didn't like her or the job so I let it out.

It was either that or slap her down next time she was rude :lol:

I don't suffer women gladly at all. Especially not ones stuck up their own asses.

:lol: :lol:

So did all three of you get fired?

Where in England are u from?

saimand
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2018, 12:24 pm

I assume I will get fired because Im the troublemaker, I have job that is hard, both physically and mentally,and then I suck at doing paperwork. But hey, 12 hours a day, exhausted, more often than not seniors were abuding clients,but hey, paperwork is all that matters

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 4:20 am

IDK...they just stopped giving me hours, I never got a reason why, and so I just gave up checking the employee website for shifts after two months of nothing eventually I got a notification of not having an account on that employment site anymore.

It was a dishwashing job, who the hell gets fired from dishwashing....and not even officially just stop getting hours, because who knows, no one bothered to tell you.

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2018, 9:00 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
IDK...they just stopped giving me hours, I never got a reason why, and so I just gave up checking the employee website for shifts after two months of nothing eventually I got a notification of not having an account on that employment site anymore.

It was a dishwashing job, who the hell gets fired from dishwashing....and not even officially just stop getting hours, because who knows, no one bothered to tell you.

:lol:

Sorry I shouldn’t laugh, it’s just when u said about who gets fired from dishwashing :lol: :lol:

It’s their loss I’m sure x

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 12:19 pm

LostGirI wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

:lol:

Sorry I shouldn’t laugh, it’s just when u said about who gets fired from dishwashing :lol: :lol:

It’s their loss I’m sure x

Yeah I think I was doing a pretty good job, but whatever...I've been seeing ads on craigslist of that place looking for dishwashers and back of house people and I certainly won't be applying. Can't really trust them to give me any form of regular hours so it would be pointless to try and work there again. It was either weeks of pretty much overtime like 11, 8 hour days in a row, some weeks of very few hours when all I wanted was part time with a little bit of consistency like at least a rough idea of what days I'd work and what days I'd have off. And then finally just not having any hours for a month.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 7:08 pm

When I was in my 20s, (when I was much less socially functional than now, but long before I knew I was AS) I got fired from a copy shop customer-service job literally for being me. The manager said, "You are a very specific kind of person. And that's OK. But this job requres a very different kind of person. And for me to keep you at this job would essentially be me telling you not to be you. And I don't want to do that, because who you are is fine. Just not for this job."

I think that's probably the most honest end to any job I've had.

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2018, 7:10 pm

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
When I was in my 20s, (when I was much less socially functional than now, but long before I knew I was AS) I got fired from a customer-service job literally for being me. The manager said, "You are a very specific kind of person. And that's OK. But this job requires a very different kind of person. And for me to keep you at this job would essentially be me telling you not to be you. And I don't want to do that, because who you are is fine. Just not for this job."

Sounds like they were a nice manager

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 7:14 pm

LostGirI wrote:
Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
When I was in my 20s, (when I was much less socially functional than now, but long before I knew I was AS) I got fired from a customer-service job literally for being me. The manager said, "You are a very specific kind of person. And that's OK. But this job requires a very different kind of person. And for me to keep you at this job would essentially be me telling you not to be you. And I don't want to do that, because who you are is fine. Just not for this job."

Sounds like they were a nice manager

She was a really easy-going hippie-type. I needed the money, though, so I wasn't happy about it. But looking back, I wish more people had been that honest with me instead of making up BS excuses. I might have gotten my life in order sooner.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Mar 2018, 2:44 am

I was fired (not the current job, but the previous one) because I had poor social skills. If you look at the job itself, my performance was sufficient and I was very independent.