Disclose for a job that values diversity?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

fluter
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Nov 2017, 2:12 pm

Is it beneficial, and is it confidential if I disclose ASD in a job application for a job that states plainly, "candidates from underrepresented groups, candidates fluent in Spanish, and those willing and able to advance the college's commitment to diversity are especially encouraged to apply"?

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2017, 3:33 pm

I don't know, it's a tough one isn't it :?

Are you quite open about it anyway? If so, then maybe do it or I guess you could disclose at interview or something if you get that far. Sorry I'm not much help

Boourns
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Nov 2017, 4:20 pm

I'm not sure aboutin the US, but generally speaking in the UK, as long as you met the other criteria for the job, you'd have a very high liklihood of getting an interview.

As for confidentiality, again generally, as long as it doesn't say on the application that it may/will be shared with 3rd parties, then it will generally only be seen by the HR department and/or the people who conduct the interview (applicant information is supposed to be either made confidentail (i.e. need to know) or anonymised (if it might be seen by a number of people unrelated to what you're applying to do), but it really depends on the type of business you're applying to (larger businesses will generally have more thorough controls)). Obviously, if you are selected, you should indicate any special arrangements that you'll need (at least if you think they'd help for the interview).

As you're aware, with conditions such as AS, you're not obligated to disclose them unless you want to.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 10:39 pm

Diversity usually means one thing in office politics.
I reckon as long as you're qualified for the job there's no need to play into the diversity card.
Go on your merits. You'll be fine. :)

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2017, 8:29 am

TheSpectrum wrote:
Diversity usually means one thing in office politics.
I reckon as long as you're qualified for the job there's no need to play into the diversity card.
Go on your merits. You'll be fine. :)

what do you mean it usually means one thing?

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 9:06 am

A job that values diversity tends to applaud itself by appointing a candidate that is not a straight white guy.
That's my experience with it.

My views on diversity are that people can be diverse in opinions, culture, life experiences, not just their skin tone or gender or disabilities and selecting a candidate on those last 3 over how qualified they are for a position is ironically defeating its own purpose. But hey, that's my take on it and it isn't relevant to this discussion.

To the OP:
I honestly don't think you need to mention ASD unless it comes up in medical questions i.e. if they need to know if you have any mental health conditions or disabilities they might need to make adjustments for. You shouldn't let their knowledge of you having ASD determine your application and interview for this role as it would be a disservice to you. As I say, go in on your own merits and disclose it when need be. :) all the best, I hope you get it!

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2017, 9:58 am

TheSpectrum wrote:
A job that values diversity tends to applaud itself by appointing a candidate that is not a straight white guy.
That's my experience with it.

My views on diversity are that people can be diverse in opinions, culture, life experiences, not just their skin tone or gender or disabilities and selecting a candidate on those last 3 over how qualified they are for a position is ironically defeating its own purpose. But hey, that's my take on it and it isn't relevant to this discussion.

To the OP:
I honestly don't think you need to mention ASD unless it comes up in medical questions i.e. if they need to know if you have any mental health conditions or disabilities they might need to make adjustments for. You shouldn't let their knowledge of you having ASD determine your application and interview for this role as it would be a disservice to you. As I say, go in on your own merits and disclose it when need be. :) all the best, I hope you get it!

Yes i agree it defeats the purpose and would hate to be given a job on the basis of one of those things alone

fluter
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Nov 2017, 8:26 am

Thank you everyone for your insight!

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2017, 10:25 am

Let us know how you get on with your application. Best of luck :)

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 8:44 am

For Pete's sake, don't. Do you really want to call attention to yourself? Besides why show your cards? People exploit any weakness they can find.