I just want the uncertainty and fear to END!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 8:18 pm

For ten years, I struggled with a higher stress and anxiety/fear level than I did before that. I really am starting to "hate" not being neurotypical all because I keep on having obsessive, racing thoughts and fears; and some really bad days where I actually have breakdowns. And it's been continuous for about the last ten years. Even though I had occasional ups and downs since then, it has always been continuous. And I've been driving my parents away in a certain area because of it, especially after I graduated high school years. Now, whenever they can signal that I'm even slightly agitated by one of my thoughts, my mom would give me a sour, bitter-feeling silent treatment out of being tired of hearing me talk (that only makes me feel more upset and agitated), or my dad would speak all "tough" and agitated and tell me to "stop whining and b**ching about what you don't have control over", both my parents have become lame and cruel in these scenarios. Even though I'm going to school in another town (30 minute ride away from me), I feel less of a sense of isolation and academic success (mostly A's and a couple B's), something I am actually confident and proud of myself for. But my "normal" baseline of emotions from since I started high school began to rise up again. :cry:

I really wish I could feel relatively more positive again. At the most, I only feel like I have had "mostly positive" feeling weeks for 1 or 2 weeks every month. On here, I also hate how repetitive my posts sounded, but I feel total futility about the awful political and world situations and more personal issues. It feels like everyone I talk about these issues in life are arguing with me, even my former religion I used to grow up in. My whole life still feels hopeless in lots of ways and I feel like I won't be more peaceful or positive unless the world events that are outside of my control will happen to change. I pray to God that he won't let me down about that, but if he wills that not the case, I've been disillusioned by my God, and I would want to just avoid seeing him after it's my time to go and be buried). I'll probably never be positive or less anxious in my life again at this point.

I wish I can finally ramble on about "everything" because I have so much to let out and so little working memory. Yes, I have a psychologist/therapist, but it's still hard no matter what.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 9:35 pm

I'd say your dad is right in one aspect - what has to change is you.
The political situation will do whatever it is going to do - that is not something you can control. And even if the politics did change, there is always going to be something to feel anxious about. To expect life to be perfect with this kind of mindset is not practical. Likely, you'd just start getting anxious about life being too perfect! It's you that is at issue, not external circumstances. But you can control your response to that situation, and learn to be responsible for your own mind.
As you know I have some experience with this, having pretty severe circular, repetitive, obsessive thoughts myself, so much so that I get amnesia around it and forget I have had those thoughts before I start all over again.
You have to address where these thoughts are, in your mind, with a method that works for you. I find dharma works brilliantly for me, but also directly tackling the things that I am obsessing about and taking action helps to avoid just sitting still and obsessing about it. Granted you can't change a political situation - but if that is your main focus, perhaps you can task that, by getting involved in activist groups who are trying to change this situation? Then at least you could rest easier knowing you're doing your part, doing all your can and being a positive influence for change, while you work on getting away from the mindset that is causing you all this trouble. Two-pronged attack. :twisted: