Parents angry at Friends for exluding son from parties

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 9:25 pm

This news story has been doing the rounds on Australian news outlets for a couple of weeks

Shane Stephenson was at his lowest ebb when he wrote a frustrated rant on Facebook about his autistic son Reilly not being invited to social events.

"Reilly has autism not f--king leprosy," he wrote, talking about the hurt over his so-called friends not including six-year-old non-verbal son on invitation lists.
https://honey.nine.com.au/2017/11/10/08 ... g-autistic

My daughter has been excluded from kids birthday parties for 7 years in primary school and some of my friends with similar aged kids always seem to slip out of potential play dates making up excuses. I don't particularly care anymore as my daughter is happy enough just seeing other kids at school. I end up having to play "big brother" and "best friend" as well as dad back home.

I'm not sure what people think? I can empathise with the father but I certainly wouldn't get angry the way he is...If he reads this forum then my message to him would be "welcome to my world"

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 5:18 pm

I don't do facebook so I'm not sure on this but if he put his rant on his facebook then doesn't that mean it was aimed at his friends who he felt weren't being friends as apposed to a public rant. I think he's entitled to rant there, people are always ranting at me when they think I'm not behaving properly (normally). If they were real friends they would understand he needed to vent, not pass it on to the news, if that's what they did.

I'm sorry this happens to you too. Just because your used to it doesn't make it right, so feel free to rant, go on Grrrrrr!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 1:41 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
I'm sorry this happens to you too. Just because your used to it doesn't make it right, so feel free to rant, go on Grrrrrr!

No my daughter doesn't seem to mind so I guess even though other parent's in my work/social circle/school parents/classmates choose to avoid my child we have learned to live with it...Having said that the few occaisons she has child come over to play she really enjoys herself

What can you do?