Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Silverwing94
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Nov 2017, 2:39 pm

During my recent job search, I have been trying to figure out why companies insist potential employees take 'personality' tests that probably give them a few indications a person has a mental disability before submitting their applications for 'consideration.' It has been two months since I quit my job working at Wendy's, and that was about as stressful as working in the kitchen. What makes it even more demeaning is how unemployment is effecting my state of mind. There are times where I feel a mixture of frustration, depression and resentment thinking of how society wants people with physically and mental disabilities to fit the mold we know we cannot fit into not without destroying our own sense of worth. Other times, I just feel like a throw away as a high functioning Autistic at the age of twenty-three.

Is it just me? Or is the system making it far more difficult than it should be for people with mental disabilities to make a living?

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Nov 2017, 8:52 pm

I totally get you. This system is so rigged against loads of people, even NTs, but Aspies get it especially bad.

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Nov 2017, 11:29 pm

It is not just you. I have 2 science degrees & enough college credits for 4 degrees, but when I tried getting a job through online applications I was rejected 57 times. I am only successful in school, with student jobs. I work on campus & take classes. No one can say I haven't tried to earn my own way in life, but I am refused jobs that pay living wages, so am forced to live on disability & work in areas that will "tolerate" me & my sensitivities. I'm a very hard worker, but people get in my way & work against me frequently, simply because they don't like me (even though they don't even know me). Socializing doesn't come easy to me -- can fake if for a short while, but that makes it worse. Those few days I'm faking my way through sets up false expectations. When I fail to keep it up, they turn against me thinking I've rejected them. It is a very common consequence to being nice to people & trying to be friends is they get angry when they feel rejected. Then they work against me, using what they learn as weapons -- making noise & scaring me because they learned I can't concentrate in loud environments & my unfavorable reaction to adrenaline.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2017, 3:57 pm

The system definitely makes it harder for people with mental disabilities to get jobs that earn a living wage. As a nurse, I've only been able to take home health care jobs because that's all I can handle, but the pay leaves much to be desired. Sometimes I think I'd like to work in a doctor's office, but the reality is I probably wouldn't be able to handle it because of the fast pace and bullying enviroment that seems to be rampant in the nursing profession. I once had a job doing flu shot at a clinic that lasted all of 3 days and was fired because I "kept making mistakes", even though I had received very little training (about an hour's worth the first day, which they though was acceptable) and was expected to just jump in there and "do it". I was bullied mercilessly.

As for the personality tests, I actually passed one and got an interview for a place I'd been trying to apply to for 5 years. I didn't get the job, but I was impressed that I actually passed the test and got an interview.

DeanBetz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Nov 2017, 12:47 pm

This is a great way of describing how passing for NT can hurt in the long run. Nicely put!

IgA wrote:
Socializing doesn't come easy to me -- can fake if for a short while, but that makes it worse. Those few days I'm faking my way through sets up false expectations. When I fail to keep it up, they turn against me thinking I've rejected them.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2017, 5:03 pm

Took a few HR classes in college and OP is right the personality test is basically to see if you are a liability. My teacher at least really emphasized the idea that your job is to not be hiring people like that. All they do is cause problems and in end you probably have to hire a second person to do the work of one. But also you don't want to be sued so the whole interview process is about not hiring certain people but also pretending the real reason for no job is the not the reason.

The test is not just things like autism but many things that in general will make you likely to miss work or sue the company. This is probably why many here will tell you do not even discuss your autism in the interview. I would not bring it up it until MINIMUM you pass the probation period during which you maybe fired for any reason. Even after the probation period it's a huge risk because we did discuss how to get rid of long term employees who become a problem.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 12:32 pm

My NT brother, autistic sister, and myself have taken personality tests for jobs and failed. My Mother's NT friend had to take a personality test for customer service job at a bank he already worked at as the guy in charge of the bank tellers. The guy is excellent at customer service and he still failed the test. I think the tests are stupid and eliminate potentially great job candidates. Company loyalty is what's being sought out in the personality test.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 9:31 pm

Than these same employers who discriminate against the disabled also are the first to b***h about the same disabled people collecting government benefits. People gotta live you know. HR departments must seek out sociopaths to work in there. Even s**t jobs like retail and fast food have these tests. Oye Vey!