Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 3:53 pm

It’s so sad! Here in the United States shootings happen all the time! We should have a test to see if you’re responsible enough to own a gun!

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Nov 2017, 12:13 pm

There certainly seem far too many of these incidents in the US. They'll have to come up with a systematic approach to combat this threat to people's safety - they are not even safe in a small-town church!

In this latest incident, it seems a number of warning signs were overlooked and several mistakes were made which led to loss of life. He shouldn't ever have been allowed to get any guns with his history.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 12:58 pm

Bad thing about warning signs is that they are always understood afterwards. Another bad thing about them is that sometimes they simply don't exist.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Nov 2017, 1:10 pm

You are right. "Hindsight is a perfect science."

But yes, we can't be paranoid either, and forecast what someone's going to do. I believe there was a movie about a society where they could tell in advance who was going to turn out criminal. Not a good precedent.

Neither scientists nor crystal gazers have all the answers.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 1:28 pm

No hindsight needed for Kelley. He was found guilty of animal cruelty, abusing his spouse, breaking the skull of his infant stepson and got kicked out of the military. The air force failed to report his domestic violence to the database that should have bared him from buying guns.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 11:50 pm

Yes, Jonny. There were such signs but they were not considered warning signs. In a similar vein, there are diseases whose first symptom is sudden death.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 3:23 pm

Not sure why they would not be considered warning signs. The man was convicted of many types of violence. By law and by common sense he should not have been able to buy the guns he did.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 5:33 pm

I'm just head-over-heels in love with how in the US there are zero tolerance schools where kids can't bring plastic army men or a bubble-shooting toy that barely resembles a gun without getting expelled and practically becoming a future ditch digger, but any psychopath can easily get their hands on a real gun and really kill people.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 9:38 pm

Does anyone know why the US government lets people with criminal records buy guns?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 10:54 pm

Kiki1256 wrote:
Does anyone know why the US government lets people with criminal records buy guns?

Because...some criminals could still get guns, so thus it is pointless to attempt to bar people with violent criminal histories from owning a fire-arm, because some criminals would still get guns illegally. At least as far as I can tell that is the most commonly argued reason against regulations. I don't find it to be a very valid reason myself though.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 11:18 pm

Kiki1256 wrote:

In Kelley's case the military did not submit his information like is required by law. He should have been denied but unfortunately he was not.