North Korean disabled get the Nazi treatment

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 5:15 pm

Disabled in North Korea killed at birth

Quote:
Life in North Korea is notoriously horrendous for many.

For those born with disabilities, they have little chance of survival, according to a report published Tuesday by a North Korean human rights group.

At a seminar hosted by the Database Center for North Korean Human Rights (NKDB), an NGO based in Seoul, it was revealed that people with disabilities in North Korea are killed at birth, often by their parents, or sent for use in medical experiments at universities or "Hospital 83."

It's unclear where "Hospital 83" is located. "Many were aware of its existence but didn't know where it is," a researcher from the NKDB said.

The NKDB conducted comprehensive interviews with 100 defectors who lived in North Korea between 2010 and 2014 for the report on the monitoring of North Korea's implementation on United Nations Universal Periodic Review's recommendations.

Life in North Korea is notoriously horrendous for many.

For those born with disabilities, they have little chance of survival, according to a report published Tuesday by a North Korean human rights group.

At a seminar hosted by the Database Center for North Korean Human Rights (NKDB), an NGO based in Seoul, it was revealed that people with disabilities in North Korea are killed at birth, often by their parents, or sent for use in medical experiments at universities or "Hospital 83."

It's unclear where "Hospital 83" is located. "Many were aware of its existence but didn't know where it is," a researcher from the NKDB said.

The NKDB conducted comprehensive interviews with 100 defectors who lived in North Korea between 2010 and 2014 for the report on the monitoring of North Korea's implementation on United Nations Universal Periodic Review's recommendations.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 9:28 pm

That really sickens me. I feel that all babies should have the right to life, everywhere in the world.

Windigo
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2017, 1:50 am

Scary.

North Korea is scary in general though. If its leadership ever gets overthrown, I wonder what atrocities will come to light. This sounds like human experiments to me.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 1:55 am

Okay. Just nuke it.

Half joking...

I can almost understand a parent in such an awful place making that choice, but medical experiments? Maybe less than half joking.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 5:41 am

Why am I not at all surprised?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 3:51 pm

If you go back in a time machine then the disabled were treated this way in early 20th century Europe. The eugenics movement introduced the concept of "undesirable" genetic traits which (in addition to the obvious support in fascism) has been absorbed into "Toynbeeist" political philosophy carried among many conservative political groups here in the progressive west

In east Asia (not just North Korea) traditional stigma against the disabled has mean't eugenics has been enthusiastically supported