Losing Weight when You’re Not Obese

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 5:48 pm

It’s hard to take yourself seriously losing weight when you’re not obese and you don’t have much to lose. Has anyone else gone through this?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 3:43 pm

When I had to change what I ate due to intolerances and bloating I put a stone (14lb or 6.4kg) on. The problem was due to my distributing my weight very evenly all over it wasn't really noticeable to others so they thought I was being silly. A long time ago I was obese so I did make the effort to loose the stone but it wasn't nice being told by everyone that I was imagining it. I mean it's a science, get on scales 9st 8lb, one year later get on scales 10st 8lb, that's a stone. They are all NT's so I think they were trying to be nice, but I don't understand why the idea that I'm not competent enough to weigh myself properly or that I'm lying, which are the only alternatives, are supposed to be better than that I have put a stone on. I'd rather go back to being obese than either of those alternatives.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 3:55 pm

Yeah. Im not obese, but im a few pounds overweight. I cant complain, i know actually obese women and they think I'm thin lol.

I need to change my diet. I need to start cooking from scratch and eating less pizza. I've been so tired lately pizza has been my go-to meal at night.

I've got a freezer now so my plan is to cook big batches of healthy meals and freeze portions so that I have something quick and healthy available when I'm tired.

I haven't been walking as much because it's dark at night now. I need to find a local cheap gym.

Sometimes I just think, oh I'm not that fat, I'll just eat a whole packet of cookies.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 10:27 pm

Yes, I did it a couple of years ago and I'm doing it again right now. I'm in the mid-normal weight range and trying to get to the low-normal range. I wouldn't say that it's hard to take myself seriously, but maybe that has something to do with my lack of experience with obesity.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 7:03 pm

No. I was overweight but not obese and then I was just on the edge of being in the healthy range when I was 14 and 15 because I weighed 150 and then 153. Then I lost the weight. According to the child BMI, I was obese in 7th grade even though I looked thin in the photos but I was never happy with my weight then either. But for normal BMI calculator, it is just overweight. The child calculator also says I was overweight at 14 and 15 too. But I took care of it. It all started when we were on our weekend ski trip we took every year and there was hardly food in the condo so I didn't eat unless it was meal time and there wasn;t much portion of food because it wasn't just my family that was there, my brothers had their friends with too so more tummies we had to feed. I came home on Sunday night and weighed myself the next morning and I had lost 5 pounds over the weekend. I decided to keep it up so I ate less food and had smaller portions, didn't have snacks or seconds, I paid attention to calories and I got down to 128. Then I was up to 140 again which is still healthy for a 17 year old.

I have had body image issues since puberty so that always makes me take care of myself and keep my weight down and made me want to be thinner so I never let myself get fat. In fact when I put on weight, I get anxiety about it and then I start to have an eating disorder again so working out keeps it away because then I don't have to worry about calories and I can eat without feeling anxious about it or feeling the need to weight myself to see how much I put on in the day time or else I can't eat. I was 120 this morning and I have been eating a little more calories because of too much chocolate I have been seeing. I need to control my sweet tooth again so the numbers on the scale will make me too anxious to give into my cravings so it works out for me. I have motivation around me to not let myself get fat.

Child and teen BMI calculators are different than adult BMI calculators. 170 for 5 '6' for a 13 year old would be considered obese but for an adult that same height it's only overweight. 150 lbs is considered on the edge of healthy BMI for the same height for an adult but for a 13 year old, it's overweight. So I guess I have been obese but it was never like those people I have seen on TV who are actually obese.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 9:23 pm

I’m down to 134 even though I’ve been eating insane amounts of food—defying the law of thermodynamics? I don’t get how you can literally binge and still lose weight, but I guess holiday stress has made my metabolism go haywire. I’m now planning to be more careful not to overeat—I’ve learned coping mechanisms from trial and error over the semester. My goal is to get to 122 by exercising and eating normally, no binges. I have a crazy fast metabolism and can stay thin no problem if I eat normally.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 11:09 pm

Why would you need to lose weight if you're not obese and don't have much weight to lose? For me that would be dangerous my typical weight is between 95 and 100 pounds I certainly do not need to go any lower than that. I actually have gone below 95 pounds due to struggles with ptsd, anxiety and depression and the stress it causes the body and mind, basically at one point when I was in a very bad place mentally I think I got down to like 80 pounds. Mentally I was doing so bad I decided to go to the hospital...and during my stay in the psychiatric facility I went to they also helped me regain my weight with prescription protein/nutrition type shakes supplementing the meals I got there. So yeah would not be a good idea for me to try to lose weight.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 2:37 am

I think she means when you look like Kim Kardashian rather than Rebel Wilson.

I'm not obese, but I'd look better with a bit less weight on me. I'm not going to go down to skinny, but I just want to have size 12 (UK) jeans fit me again. Atm I'm between a 14 and a 16.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 6:56 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Why would you need to lose weight if you're not obese and don't have much weight to lose? For me that would be dangerous my typical weight is between 95 and 100 pounds I certainly do not need to go any lower than that. I actually have gone below 95 pounds due to struggles with ptsd, anxiety and depression and the stress it causes the body and mind, basically at one point when I was in a very bad place mentally I think I got down to like 80 pounds. Mentally I was doing so bad I decided to go to the hospital...and during my stay in the psychiatric facility I went to they also helped me regain my weight with prescription protein/nutrition type shakes supplementing the meals I got there. So yeah would not be a good idea for me to try to lose weight.

Problem here was that you did't eat any protein either. Always keep protein high when calories are low.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Nov 2017, 7:12 am

Closet Genious wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Problem here was that you did't eat any protein either. Always keep protein high when calories are low.

I guess you meant this advice for someone who at least wouldn't harm themself by losing weight. 80 pounds is 36kg. Far too little for a typical-height adult. 100 pounds is 43kg. Suitable only for a very delicate-built and small person, otherwise still far too little.

I don't try to lose weight. I'm within the "correct" BMI range, eating less only makes me weak while the weight doesn't move a bit. So I guess I'm in the healthy range. I would like a smaller waist to look more feminine but I don't see it worth so much effort as my body is functioning very well on my current eating habits.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 9:41 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

What I mean is when you have an extra 10-30 pounds, not when you’re skinny.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 8:31 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Why would you need to lose weight if you're not obese and don't have much weight to lose?

Well people who have weight loss goals eventually do get to that point. They may start off overweight but eventually they'll only have 5 lbs. to lose.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 8:34 am

I'm not even technically "overweight," let alone "obese," but I still look flabby and unfit in my opinion. "Spare tire" - dead giveaway. Some people can't carry even a little extra weight without looking like a German sausage, whereas some can be technically overweight and still look good.
A medication I was on a few years ago for a condition that is now resolved caused it - putting on weight in all these weird places and weird ways, and I just never worked it off.
I think it's worth taking seriously if it bothers you, even if it's just a bit. If it is just a bit, maybe that can be motivation? The task isn't insurmountable - it's just a bit of trimming down? Plus if you only need to lose a small amount, you're likely to see results quicker/easier than someone who is severely obese.
I don't like people telling me I don't need to lose weight, even if they're only saying it to be nice. Because ultimately it isn't to impress them. It's about me being comfortable with my body and liking the way I look. It's about me being confident to do things which are revealing, like swimming, without feeling bad about myself or my body.
That's serious enough to me, if it restricts me doing things I'd like to do because I hate my body.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 1:32 pm

Perhaps what you are seeking isnt weight loss, but changing your body composition. Maintaining roughly the same number on the scale while turning those flabbier bits into les flabby ones while adding desirable muscle weight to the areaa your most concerned with. Theres a difference. Straight weight loss can be achieved by diet alone, particularly for those who are overweight. However if thats not what you need, then some kind of workout routine will likely be required.

I know personally after a long period of weight loss, I like the number the scale now says, but need to reconfigure how that weight sits on my body. This requires a different strategy than just dropping pounds.