Page 3 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 8:01 am

There are various screening tools online (which aren't as good as a proper diagnosis, but should give you an indication if it's something worth looking into or not).

I took one, and I got:

result- risk of dyscalculia

time taken- 7 minutes and 4 seconds

analysis- Your score is low. If you have concerns that your mathematical skills are significantly lower than other skills, you should consider a diagnostic assessment by an educational psychologist of your number skills. To give you some idea of what is involved and costs in England follow this link: http://www.educational-psychologist.co. ... -and-fees/

Here's a link to the test: http://app.educational-psychologist.co. ... scalculic/

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 8:52 am

Pass.
Time taken 5 minutes and 52 seconds

You scored well but the time taken suggests that your skills are not fluent.

That could be explained by my having a slow processing speed. I failed Maths O level first time primarily because I was very poor at geometry.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 5:41 pm

Thanks Dragon!

I was really dreading taking it until I opened it up. I laughed out loud quite a few times, because there was absolutely no way I could do several of those...

Test: THIS math problem?
Me: *LAUGH* Yeah no. I can't even understand what I'm looking at. There's no way I can figure that out.

I ended up hitting "I would be guessing" quite a lot. Honestly, I was guessing pretty much all of them but I felt like I should at least try the ones I could understand.

Results:

RISK of dyscalculia

4 minutes and 32 seconds

Your score is low.

I am a Bookwyrm.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 8:37 pm

I like how in this forum my posts about Dyscalculia don't go unnoticed as often.

Personally, I think it's a shame that there aren't more online spaces discussing Dyscalculia.

There used to be a Dyscalculia forum, but it got shut down.

I have seen a section on it in a Dyslexia forum, but they no longer update it, and the option to register seems to be broken for some reason. :?

There are estimates that it occurs just as much as Dyslexia, yet research and public knowledge on the condition is severely lacking in comparison to Dyslexia.

Here is a TedX talk on Dyscalculia. ^ :)

Romansky123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2018, 4:43 pm

Pretty sure I have Dyscalculia because my whole left I have struggled with math despite constantly trying to get better plus I match up with many of the signs and symptoms related to the disorder I have no official diagnosis but it seems to make logical sense to me.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 5:03 pm

Odd thing; despite being diagnosed with dyscalculia 50 years ago, I've never encountered another dyscalculic until I was diagnosed with Asperger's and started visiting sites like this.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 7:53 pm

Piobaire wrote:
Odd thing; despite being diagnosed with dyscalculia 50 years ago, I've never encountered another dyscalculic until I was diagnosed with Asperger's and started visiting sites like this.

Personally, I've never come across someone face to face who has told me that they have dyscalculia.

I've only ever come across people who say they have it online.

Anyway, in terms of fiction, there are a few dyscalculic fictional characters out there, but not many.

For instance, Liberty from "Degrassi; the next generation". It was nice to see dyscalculia being mentioned, however I think it's a shame that they never really delved that much into it. Sure, they made the odd joke, but you never really saw her struggle at all.

Liberty never struggled with time it seems, as she makes a point about how she's always punctual. We don't get to see her attempting maths work.

I couldn't relate to her character because she was an excellent overachiever in almost everything, the show doesn't seem to take into account that dyscalculia isn't just limited to a maths classroom.

What about Physics? Geography? Figuring out where and when you are meant to be, when you keep reading numerical information incorrectly, and can't figure out which room to go to as a result? Time management, reading clocks, or judging distances in PE...

I think a lot of people don't realise how many small mathematical workings out go into everyday life.

Before Degrassi, the first mention I saw of it on TV was on a show called "The 4 'o clock club" where a kid pretended to have dyscalculia because they thought that it would make their maths teacher go easy on them. :x

They soon learned that they actually had to do more maths, and the moral of that episode was not to fake having a learning disability. A part of me wished that the episode had gone differently.

If only they had actually met a dyscalculic person, that would've been a good time to teach their audience about the disability, but instead it just became an episode on "Lol, our main character is so lazy!" :roll:

Kristaok
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2018, 6:40 pm

I don't know if I have dyscalcula but I can't for the life of me remember numbers that well, I've been made fun of because of this and it hurts.

I've never been good at math, last I was told quite a few years ago I was on the 3rd grade level, but sadly I'm sure most 3rd graders can use multiplication etc and I cannot. They tried to teach me but I literally could not learn even with one on one training, and flash cards etc.

It took me quite some time to understand clock that were not digital, and to even count money, and still I make mistakes.... I get so nervous my hands shake.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 10:28 am

Another quiz you might find interesting: http://panamath.org/test/consent.php

This one tests your ability to accurately guess which side has more dots in a short period of time. People with dyscalculia often score worse on these kind of tests due to poor approximation/estimation skills, and lack of numerical/number sense.

I applied for private testing today, so I just have to wait for a reply on that.

Hopefully it won't be too long now until I can get an appointment for an assessment.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Feb 2018, 4:07 am

I'm fairly good with everyday practical math but I don't write it out cuz my handwriting sux big time. I count in my head & use my fingers or just use my graphing calculator. I did OK with PreAlgebra for a while but I used a more practical formula instead of putting the problem on two different sides & making it like 3 or more things to solve like they wanted me to. I basically worked the problem out by doing math 1ce instead of breaking it down into different parts. Not sure if this makes sense to anyone :? When I got to Algebra1, the problem had to be put on two sides & broken down into different problems & I didn't know how(it didn't make any sense to me) so I failed almost all my tests. I only passed because the teacher curved my grade. I did fairly well in Practical Geometry for about half the year & then my grade started to go down. I did well in Business Math cuz most of it was practical word problems that you'd run into in daily life. I had to use a calculator thou. I think I'm bad at solving problems that are only written out in numbers, letters, & symbols instead of word problems. I was told that my issues with math were part of the type of Dyslexia I have but I'm wondering if it's Dyscalculia.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 11:19 am

nick007 wrote:
I'm fairly good with everyday practical maths

What would you consider to be everyday practical maths? If you are referring to working out change using money, then I am not the best at that. When I go shopping, I bring my phone with me and use the calculator option to work out how much change it would give me if I bought certain items. This isn't because I'm lazy, but rather because it means less room for error as my calculations are often incorrect, and sometimes I need a specific amount of change.

nick007 wrote:
But I don't write it out because my handwriting sucks big time.

At school, I would often dread mental maths tests, because I found it next to impossible to work out any of the answers in my head.

I just couldn't seem to do it, and certainly not in the small amount of time that they gave us to write answers to each question.

So, to get around this, I would find small ways to cheat such as writing small workings out on my hand underneath the desk when they weren't looking. I found mental maths difficult, because I couldn't keep track of where I was in working out an equation, I'd get half way to figuring out an answer, then suddenly just forget what it was that I was doing.

It felt like my brain was just messing with me. Sometimes I'd get so close to figuring out a question, then suddenly forget and think "Wait, what was the question again? Did I get up to twenty or something? What was I doing?"

Then our teacher would tell us that time was up, and that she hoped that we'd done all of the questions. I'd feel slight dread as I'd look down at my paper to see about two out of twenty five questions complete. Sometimes I would just put my head down on the desk in shame and frustration.

Writing down workings out on my hand helped to improve my score a bit, that way I got about five questions complete rather than two, but it didn't make a dramatic difference.

If I don't write out my workings out, then I just forget where I am with working the question out, after that I forget what question I'm on.

This seems to be because it takes me longer to figure out arithmetic questions than most, due to the fact that people often remember mathematical shortcuts, and use them without really thinking about it. But I am often unable to do this, since my brain tends to delete these shortcuts from my memory.

So, it takes me longer to figure out the question as I have to do more work, first I have to relearn the shortcuts, then apply them, and after that I have to approach the original question.

Others just access the shortcuts they have saved to memory, use them, and get an answer to the question.

nick007 wrote:
I count in my head & use my fingers or just use my graphing calculator.

Yeah, I also use my fingers to count, especially if a calculator in unavailable. I struggle to count in my head though, as I've talked about above. Sometimes in English we had to count how many words we had written, and I would struggle to do this, so my solution was to write down a number each time I got to a number in the 10 times table above that word, that way if I suddenly forgot where I was up to, then I could look at the last number I wrote down, and go from there.

In my first term of University, we were expected to quickly work out our scores on this test about Belbin's model. Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to find my calculator, and as much as I tried to figure out my score writing my workings out on the paper, it proved too difficult, so I asked my friend to help me.

There is a slight degree of stress I feel in those situations, because you aren't given much time to figure it out, and to most people in the room the task is ridiculously easy, so you don't want to be the only one who hasn't worked out your score when the teacher calls on you. 8O

nick007 wrote:
I did OK with PreAlgebra for a while but I used a more practical formula instead of putting the problem on two different sides & making it like 3 or more things to solve like they wanted me to. I basically worked the problem out by doing math 1ce instead of breaking it down into different parts.

Not sure if this makes sense to anyone :? When I got to Algebra1, the problem had to be put on two sides & broken down into different problems & I didn't know how(it didn't make any sense to me) so I failed almost all my tests.

I only passed because the teacher curved my grade.

Hmm. I think I get what you mean, and yeah it took me a while to get the hang of algebra as well. Personally, I mainly struggle with division when it comes to maths. At least you did better than me, I still haven't got a passing grade and I've attempted my GCSE maths three times. :x My grades in maths are currently "D,E,E". Not sure what that translates to in the new grading system they introduced in the UK recently.

I'm glad I no longer have my old maths teacher, she used to make fun of me. :(

nick007 wrote:
I did fairly well in Practical Geometry for about half the year & then my grade started to go down. I did well in Business Math cuz most of it was practical word problems that you'd run into in daily life. I had to use a calculator thou. I think I'm bad at solving problems that are only written out in numbers, letters, & symbols instead of word problems.

The only kind of maths questions I've ever been particularly good at, are ones which ask you about patterns. Aka, "Which pattern comes next in this sequence?" and the ones which deal in pure logic and reasoning.

I hated word problems with a passion though, especially those train questions which would ask stuff like "If Bob was a train instructor and he set of at 10am in London, stopped for a sandwich in Brighton, met his long lost relative there, found out he was raised by wolves, and someone named Jeffery sets off in Liverpool. They begin their journeys at the same time, when do the trains meet?"

The kind that includes a bunch of irrelevant information to try and throw you off, to the point where the actual question is unclear. I always hated those. At one point I could do them, somehow approaching the question as if it were about a cat trying to hunt a mouse actually helped me better understand it, and I used that method for a bit until my brain just decided to delete that useful method from my memory.

:x That was utterly frustrating because that method was actually helping me to make progress, but one day I just couldn't remember it, and looking back on the notes I wrote about that method, I could no longer make sense of it.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing happened a lot to me. I'd go through phases of making great progress using a particular method, and thinking "Hey, I'm actually getting better at this!", then the next day it was almost as if someone had just erased my short term memory because I couldn't remember anything about that method.

nick007 wrote:
I was told that my issues with math were part of the type of Dyslexia I have but I'm wondering if it's Dyscalculia.

Dyscalculia often co-occurs with dyslexia, but not always.

In families with ADHD and/ or dyslexic individuals, dyscalculia is more likely to occur. The author of the "Hank Zipzer" books, Henry Winkler, has both dyslexia and dyscalculia. However, people only tend to talk about the fact he is dyslexic and don't mention the dyscalculia.

Also, the main character in his books also suffers from both dyslexia and dyscalculia, but yet again only the character's dyslexia is mentioned in the TV series based on the books. Fun fact, the author stars as the music teacher on the TV show.

There has been some debate over whether dyscalculia should exist as a separate diagnosis or not, and I've heard of people getting diagnosed under the title of "numerical dyslexia" which is the same as dyscalculia, but just given a different name. Sometimes I see maths help specifically aimed at dyslexic students.

Generally, if someone already has a diagnosis of dyslexia, people are less likely to want to test them for dyscalculia, and will probably lump any problems with maths in with the dyslexia.

My dad has dyslexia, but he does not struggle with maths at all. I personally think that the dyscalculia and dyslexia labels should stay separate, because I think that joining them together might give people the wrong idea.

Anecdotally, I have found it harder to get a dyscalculia diagnosis than a dyslexia one, in the past I've inquired about dyscalculia assessments and people have asked "Are you sure you don't just want to get tested for dyslexia? I know your dad has that, so maybe you do too".

I don't believe that I have dyslexia, and my dad doesn't believe that either for that matter, since I've never really had any issues when it comes to words, but dealing with numbers is a whole different story.

Another label that people have tried to put on me, is "maths anxiety". I don't think that's a good fit either, as it fails to properly reflect all the issues I have with maths. A part of me wonders how many people out there get misdiagnosed with maths anxiety when they actually have dyscalculia.

I was tested on my visual processing ability twice, one time at 14 nearly 15, then again at 16. Both times I scored worse than 99% of test participants. :( Which I can believe, as my ability to make sense of visual information is quite poor. I struggle to understand distances, numbers swap around on the page as I read, and symbols do the same (plus signs becomes times/ multiplication and vice versa).

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Mar 2018, 11:43 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I'm fairly good with everyday practical maths

What would you consider to be everyday practical maths? If you are referring to working out change using money, then I am not the best at that. When I go shopping, I bring my phone with me and use the calculator option to work out how much change it would give me if I bought certain items. This isn't because I'm lazy, but rather because it means less room for error as my calculations are often incorrect, and sometimes I need a specific amount of change.

nick007 wrote:
But I don't write it out because my handwriting sucks big time.

At school, I would often dread mental maths tests, because I found it next to impossible to work out any of the answers in my head.

I just couldn't seem to do it, and certainly not in the small amount of time that they gave us to write answers to each question.

So, to get around this, I would find small ways to cheat such as writing small workings out on my hand underneath the desk when they weren't looking. I found mental maths difficult, because I couldn't keep track of where I was in working out an equation, I'd get half way to figuring out an answer, then suddenly just forget what it was that I was doing.

It felt like my brain was just messing with me. Sometimes I'd get so close to figuring out a question, then suddenly forget and think "Wait, what was the question again? Did I get up to twenty or something? What was I doing?"

Then our teacher would tell us that time was up, and that she hoped that we'd done all of the questions. I'd feel slight dread as I'd look down at my paper to see about two out of twenty five questions complete. Sometimes I would just put my head down on the desk in shame and frustration.

Writing down workings out on my hand helped to improve my score a bit, that way I got about five questions complete rather than two, but it didn't make a dramatic difference.

If I don't write out my workings out, then I just forget where I am with working the question out, after that I forget what question I'm on.

This seems to be because it takes me longer to figure out arithmetic questions than most, due to the fact that people often remember mathematical shortcuts, and use them without really thinking about it. But I am often unable to do this, since my brain tends to delete these shortcuts from my memory.

So, it takes me longer to figure out the question as I have to do more work, first I have to relearn the shortcuts, then apply them, and after that I have to approach the original question.

Others just access the shortcuts they have saved to memory, use them, and get an answer to the question.

nick007 wrote:
I count in my head & use my fingers or just use my graphing calculator.

Yeah, I also use my fingers to count, especially if a calculator in unavailable. I struggle to count in my head though, as I've talked about above. Sometimes in English we had to count how many words we had written, and I would struggle to do this, so my solution was to write down a number each time I got to a number in the 10 times table above that word, that way if I suddenly forgot where I was up to, then I could look at the last number I wrote down, and go from there.

In my first term of University, we were expected to quickly work out our scores on this test about Belbin's model. Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to find my calculator, and as much as I tried to figure out my score writing my workings out on the paper, it proved too difficult, so I asked my friend to help me.

There is a slight degree of stress I feel in those situations, because you aren't given much time to figure it out, and to most people in the room the task is ridiculously easy, so you don't want to be the only one who hasn't worked out your score when the teacher calls on you. 8O

nick007 wrote:
I did OK with PreAlgebra for a while but I used a more practical formula instead of putting the problem on two different sides & making it like 3 or more things to solve like they wanted me to. I basically worked the problem out by doing math 1ce instead of breaking it down into different parts.

Not sure if this makes sense to anyone :? When I got to Algebra1, the problem had to be put on two sides & broken down into different problems & I didn't know how(it didn't make any sense to me) so I failed almost all my tests.

I only passed because the teacher curved my grade.

Hmm. I think I get what you mean, and yeah it took me a while to get the hang of algebra as well. Personally, I mainly struggle with division when it comes to maths. At least you did better than me, I still haven't got a passing grade and I've attempted my GCSE maths three times. :x My grades in maths are currently "D,E,E". Not sure what that translates to in the new grading system they introduced in the UK recently.

I'm glad I no longer have my old maths teacher, she used to make fun of me. :(

nick007 wrote:
I did fairly well in Practical Geometry for about half the year & then my grade started to go down. I did well in Business Math cuz most of it was practical word problems that you'd run into in daily life. I had to use a calculator thou. I think I'm bad at solving problems that are only written out in numbers, letters, & symbols instead of word problems.

The only kind of maths questions I've ever been particularly good at, are ones which ask you about patterns. Aka, "Which pattern comes next in this sequence?" and the ones which deal in pure logic and reasoning.

I hated word problems with a passion though, especially those train questions which would ask stuff like "If Bob was a train instructor and he set of at 10am in London, stopped for a sandwich in Brighton, met his long lost relative there, found out he was raised by wolves, and someone named Jeffery sets off in Liverpool. They begin their journeys at the same time, when do the trains meet?"

The kind that includes a bunch of irrelevant information to try and throw you off, to the point where the actual question is unclear. I always hated those. At one point I could do them, somehow approaching the question as if it were about a cat trying to hunt a mouse actually helped me better understand it, and I used that method for a bit until my brain just decided to delete that useful method from my memory.

:x That was utterly frustrating because that method was actually helping me to make progress, but one day I just couldn't remember it, and looking back on the notes I wrote about that method, I could no longer make sense of it.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing happened a lot to me. I'd go through phases of making great progress using a particular method, and thinking "Hey, I'm actually getting better at this!", then the next day it was almost as if someone had just erased my short term memory because I couldn't remember anything about that method.

nick007 wrote:
I was told that my issues with math were part of the type of Dyslexia I have but I'm wondering if it's Dyscalculia.

Dyscalculia often co-occurs with dyslexia, but not always.

In families with ADHD and/ or dyslexic individuals, dyscalculia is more likely to occur. The author of the "Hank Zipzer" books, Henry Winkler, has both dyslexia and dyscalculia. However, people only tend to talk about the fact he is dyslexic and don't mention the dyscalculia.

Also, the main character in his books also suffers from both dyslexia and dyscalculia, but yet again only the character's dyslexia is mentioned in the TV series based on the books. Fun fact, the author stars as the music teacher on the TV show.

There has been some debate over whether dyscalculia should exist as a separate diagnosis or not, and I've heard of people getting diagnosed under the title of "numerical dyslexia" which is the same as dyscalculia, but just given a different name. Sometimes I see maths help specifically aimed at dyslexic students.

Generally, if someone already has a diagnosis of dyslexia, people are less likely to want to test them for dyscalculia, and will probably lump any problems with maths in with the dyslexia.

My dad has dyslexia, but he does not struggle with maths at all. I personally think that the dyscalculia and dyslexia labels should stay separate, because I think that joining them together might give people the wrong idea.

Anecdotally, I have found it harder to get a dyscalculia diagnosis than a dyslexia one, in the past I've inquired about dyscalculia assessments and people have asked "Are you sure you don't just want to get tested for dyslexia? I know your dad has that, so maybe you do too".

I don't believe that I have dyslexia, and my dad doesn't believe that either for that matter, since I've never really had any issues when it comes to words, but dealing with numbers is a whole different story.

Another label that people have tried to put on me, is "maths anxiety". I don't think that's a good fit either, as it fails to properly reflect all the issues I have with maths. A part of me wonders how many people out there get misdiagnosed with maths anxiety when they actually have dyscalculia.

I was tested on my visual processing ability twice, one time at 14 nearly 15, then again at 16. Both times I scored worse than 99% of test participants. :( Which I can believe, as my ability to make sense of visual information is quite poor. I struggle to understand distances, numbers swap around on the page as I read, and symbols do the same (plus signs becomes times/ multiplication and vice versa).
I'm talking about things like figuring out change, figuring out percents like how much extra will I pay if I pay so much a month & how long it'll take me to pay it off, basic fractions like how many more times can I eat on these leftovers if I eat a 3rd a day & ate one today, how long it'll take me to do something that involves different parts if I have an idea of how long each one will take. I'm also good at comparing stats on video-games but I kind of need my graphing calc so I can see the stats for two or more different things at 1ce & compare.

I've found some math shortcuts too & I can sometimes forget them when I need em. It's kind of like my mind blanks when the pressure is on sometimes like if I'm in a rush. Counting on my fingers does help sometimes thou.

I'm fairly good at remembering what number I'm on when counting but I sometimes forget if I've already counted it or not.

What's GCSE? I don't know anything about the UK's grading system. I'm sorry your teacher made fun of you but it's good you don't have her now.

Despite being an Aspie, I'm not too great with patterns but it may be my dyslexia.

I don't think I ever did any train question in math but I have done questions that were similar but not as complicated. I didn't have problems with the extra information part but I sometimes didn't understand the formula to figure em out I guess cuz it involves too much algebra.

I'm not surprised the two can often occur together. That does make sense. My dad's dyslexic too but works in construction & is pretty good with math he uses. His handwriting is pretty bad but he can read what he writes. I think I get why the two disorders should be separated. Seems like their very common comorbid thou. I'm sorry you've had such a hard time getting a dyscalculia diagnoses. I never heard of Math Anxiety before. I don't know if i ever had my visual processing ability tested but I know I do have problems with that. Some of it is probably because I have a rare low vision disorder but it's like my brain can have a hard time processing something I can see well too sometimes.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 6:28 pm

nick007 wrote:
What's GCSE? I don't know anything about the UK's grading system. I'm sorry your teacher made fun of you but it's good you don't have her now.

GCSE's are a type of qualification students take exams for, at the ages of 15 and 16 in the UK.

Recently they changed the grading system, originally it was separated into two papers, "higher" and "lower".

Higher papers allowed students to score a B or higher, whereas lower papers only went up to a C.

Now they've ditched letters, and mark papers on a numerical system, as far as I understand 4 is equivalent to a standard C grade (possibly C-? The grade boundaries are unclear, and don't completely translate from the old system), and 6 is a B.

I believe they got rid of the concept of "higher" and "lower" to join them together.

Not sure if this is still the case, as they only changed the system right as I left.

During Year 9 (ages 13 to 14), students learn several subjects of their choice, and they study these areas as well as any mandatory classes.

Then, when you leave secondary school at 15/16 years old, you receive certificates for your GCSE qualifications.

If you don't have a passing grade in English language and/ or maths when entering either an apprenticeship, College course, or sixth form, then you have to redo these subjects at GCSE level again.

Personally, I redid my English language twice, and on the second time I scored a 6. Unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky with my maths.

When I retook my maths exam they used the old system for returning students, and on that I got an E. :(

Quote:
Despite being an Aspie, I'm not too great with patterns but it may be my dyslexia.

For me, it greatly depends on what kind of pattern it is.

Quote:
I'm not surprised the two can often occur together. That does make sense. My dad's dyslexic too but works in construction & is pretty good with math he uses. His handwriting is pretty bad but he can read what he writes. I think I get why the two disorders should be separated.

Seems like their very common comorbid thou. I'm sorry you've had such a hard time getting a dyscalculia diagnoses. I never heard of Math Anxiety before. I don't know if i ever had my visual processing ability tested but I know I do have problems with that. Some of it is probably because I have a rare low vision disorder but it's like my brain can have a hard time processing something I can see well too sometimes.

Yeah, it's often more common than not. That's why most (if not all) places that offer dyscalculia testing offer it as an extension to a dyslexia assessment, that's just the process. Lately I've been looking at assessment centres near me, I would have to go through a dyslexia test first to rule that out, and then I would go through an additional dyscalculia assessment.

Yokokurama
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Mar 2018, 11:38 pm

Khan Academy is your friend. I know for a fact I have dyscalculia, and I'm being forced to take Calculus I and II for my major. I got through Calc I barely, and had to pay a lot of money for tutors and such. Most of my problems were very simple mistakes, and memorization issues. But I'm doing a lot better now that I started on Khan Academy and went all the way back to pre-algebra, currently working my way through Algebra 1. You can take things at your own pace, which is incredibly helpful.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2018, 3:39 pm

Yokokurama wrote:
Khan Academy is your friend. I know for a fact I have dyscalculia, and I'm being forced to take Calculus I and II for my major. I got through Calc I barely, and had to pay a lot of money for tutors and such. Most of my problems were very simple mistakes, and memorization issues. But I'm doing a lot better now that I started on Khan Academy and went all the way back to pre-algebra, currently working my way through Algebra 1. You can take things at your own pace, which is incredibly helpful.

Thank you. :) I've never heard of Khan Academy until now, but I will make sure that I check it out. Hopefully I'll be able to pass my maths GCSE one day.

Although I've yet to be professionally tested, I'm fairly certain that I have it, and I think the most annoying part of it is the number swapping.

Recently, whilst I was writing an essay, there were page numbers on the top of each page, and I panicked for a moment because I thought it said "One of three" on the first page and due to the fact that my essay was eight pages long, I worried that I had lost a significant amount of work.

Until I looked again to see that it said "One of eight", and I was sat there thinking "Where did that three come from?" then I saw that there was a three in my student number in the middle of the page, and realised that I had read that as being on the top corner. :x

PurplePlumz
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2018, 7:18 am

I'm dyscalculic too. It's really frustrating because my teacher doesn't believe I have it, and I'm put on the higher level of math in my school for whatever reason (even though arithmetic on its own is extremely difficult for me, let alone algebra). They just all look like scribbles to me.

I much prefer English. I spend most of my time writing stories, not just because I actually like doing it but also because it's a good way for me to express myself (I'm mute).