How do I get a professional career

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2017, 7:08 pm

I keep seeming to be passed over for jobs I feel I am at the very least adequately qualified for, generally without even a phone call much less an interview. I have a Master's Degree in Special Education, I have 10 years of experience working with autistics (not to mention being autistic which I sometimes disclose sometimes don't), and I just want a disability resource center job (of which there are tons... I should know I have applied for them). Sometimes it's the obvious catch-22, they want people with experience at jobs just like their entry level jobs for their entry level jobs, but most of the time I just can't get a call back to save my life, even when I feel that I am easily qualified for it. How do you get a job like this?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 7:36 pm

I suggest hanging in there. Politics is usually cyclical. Now is a bad time because state governments are cutting social service jobs to balance their budgets. If you can somehow hang in there and gain relevant experience, you will get your chance when they start hiring social service jobs again.

Your options may be a lot better if you can move to where the jobs are.

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2017, 7:38 pm

I have been at this 10 years (it was 6 years ago that I got my Master's) and I've applied for a ton of the jobs on here https://www.higheredjobs.com/admin/sear ... =&CatType= it's not exactly like they don't exist... I just can't get anywhere. Also I have applied for jobs literally everywhere, even some in Canada, I am not attached to any one place.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 7:47 pm

I'd suggest seeking out organizations that may need your services. Some places have a need for someone but they don't actively advertise because they don't think they can find someone like that. Or all the people who do fit their needs want way too much.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 4:38 pm

If you've applied over and over and not even got an interview, the problem is likely that you're not putting yourself across well in your application letter or resume.
Have you sought feedback on these?