Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 10:27 pm

Is it possible there can be a sticky on creating strong passwords, and not sharing passwords between accounts? Mostly for being informative.

Hack. Hack. Cough.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 9:16 am

I use a password generator. It allow you to pick how many characters you want, if you want high and lower case letters, symbols like % &, and it makes a random password for you.

Also don't give out hints about what type of passwords you use or if you use the same passwords.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Nov 2017, 6:54 pm

Unfortunately we cannot create new stickies.

League_Girl wrote:
I use a password generator. It allow you to pick how many characters you want, if you want high and lower case letters, symbols like % &, and it makes a random password for you.

Also don't give out hints about what type of passwords you use or if you use the same passwords.

This! Use a password storage program which also generates random passwords. The most popular ones are KeyPass and LastPass. That way you don't need to worry about forgetting your long, random, complex password.

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 10:51 pm

Obligatory XKCD:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Nov 2017, 7:38 am

Use a passphrase as the "Master Password" for your password manager, and for anything where you can't use your password manager (like your computer itself). Use completely random, completely unrememberable, and long passwords for all of your accounts and get the password manager to deal with them. That way, if one of your accounts is compromised then the others will be fine.

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 4:29 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Use a passphrase as the "Master Password" for your password manager, and for anything where you can't use your password manager (like your computer itself). Use completely random, completely unrememberable, and long passwords for all of your accounts and get the password manager to deal with them. That way, if one of your accounts is compromised then the others will be fine.

I onlu use my very own neural-psuedo-random passcode generator with the finest in stone-age non-electronically-accessible password keeper. All passwords are unique. You really have to worry about losing your phone and/or email because they are what ties to your account.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Nov 2017, 3:25 pm

TornadoEvil wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I onlu use my very own neural-psuedo-random passcode generator with the finest in stone-age non-electronically-accessible password keeper. All passwords are unique. You really have to worry about losing your phone and/or email because they are what ties to your account.

I would have thought that there would be a bigger risk of losing your password keeper.

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 10:02 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
TornadoEvil wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I would have thought that there would be a bigger risk of losing your password keeper.

Depends on your neighborhood.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 3:34 pm

Has anyone here successfully changed their password?
I mean, changed it and NOT still been able to log on with the old password? :|

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 4:07 pm

Who cares?

Bank and important e-mails passwords should be unique and difficult to guess/break but as for websites, games and such I don't think a "strong" password is that needed. On one of forums my password is a 5 letters long... name (lol, don't blame me, I was 13 when I registered, I knew nothing about security and I don't care about that account enough to bother changing it) and still noone but me logged there.

More important than the password itself is having different passwords for different services, especially ones that don't have a strong security system (lists of passwords leaking are a real issue) or could be a scam(don't put your commonly used password on a website you don't trust). A base password or two with 2-4 variable characters that you make for each website using an easy to remember (for you) system/code only you know details of should do the trick. Even if the password leaks noone will bother to guess what the changed part is just to hack into your "kongregate" account and such.
Just remember to use totally different passwords for valuable services. Use longer passwords that contain letters, numbers and special signs and mess a little bit with the order so it's not "Commonword100%" but more like "Co1mm0nw0r%d".

Also make sure you never tell anyone your password. It's a common sense but can not be so obvious to some of us. I got conned into doing it once when I were 14. Fortunately it was just an online game but losing all of the items I earned for a year of playing did hurt. :wall:

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 7:16 pm

Make it look like a line out of a rather wacky cookbook:

10% Hydrogenated Watermelon - coarsely chopped.

or

7#3 oz: Sour Lemon Farts

or

3 tons & 2 grams Finely chopped dog ears

If they don't allow spaces, leave the spaces out.

You basically end up with a passphrase that is easy to learn but contains upper case, lower cases, numerical, and punctuation characters.