Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

How do you feel when pursuing your special interest?
I'm euphoric 29%  29%  [ 22 ]
Happy 61%  61%  [ 46 ]
Not happy nor sad 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Bothered by it 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Don't have a special interest 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 76

bamsaidthelady
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2017, 5:45 pm

Analyzing, consuming, critiquing, engaging with, creating, etc. art in most forms.

I also have a general thirst for knowledge that includes "useless" trivia, history, politics, and science.

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2017, 5:53 pm

bamsaidthelady wrote:
Analyzing, consuming, critiquing, engaging with, creating, etc. art in most forms.

I also have a general thirst for knowledge that includes "useless" trivia, history, politics, and science.

What are those score things in your signature?

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 8:19 pm

LostGirI wrote:
bamsaidthelady wrote:

That is an "Aspie Quiz" score. You can take it at: http://rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php Look for "Go directly to the test:
[I Accept]" on the page.

As with any online test, take it with a grain of salt. It does seem to be quite accurate though.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 8:32 pm

Presently mine are The Sims 4 Cats and Dogs, the band Tool, and anything and everything to do with Hellraiser. I wish I could have a special interest that's actually useful, but almost all of mine are things like this, that are great to indulge in but not actually useful in any way. "Euphoric" is a good word to describe how I feel when doing things related to my special interests.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2017, 8:45 pm

RichardJ wrote:
LostGirI wrote:
bamsaidthelady wrote:

That is an "Aspie Quiz" score. You can take it at: http://rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php Look for "Go directly to the test:
[I Accept]" on the page.

As with any online test, take it with a grain of salt. It does seem to be quite accurate though.

I just wondered. I've got my diagnosis, I don't wanna confuse myself anymore. I was just curious

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 10:51 pm

My special interests kind of come and go...the information is retained, but I won't always obsess over indulging in them. Black Sabbath was a huge one for a long time. Video games and movies are always there, but it's not always obsessing over one particular title.

Right now I kind of want to start recording music again, but I also want to work on some old games I was developing...that's usually how it goes, I get a few different urges all pulling me in separate directions, and I can't decide on just one, so instead I remain unproductive =)

crazy cats lady wrote:
How do you feel when pursuing your special interest?

Usually I feel pretty good, but I know that sometimes when I become too obsessed, I will spend hours fruitlessly searching for something online, and afterwards I feel bad that I wasted so much time doing nothing.

Like for example, sometimes I'm a little obsessed with finding as much information as I can on Gary Gygax's Castle Greyhawk...the biggest official source is a book that is now out-of-print, in legal limbo, and very expensive. Eventually I found a PDF scan of it, but man did a waste a lot of hours searching in vain.

I think when things are very out-of-reach, it only makes the obsession stronger for me...I feel like I'm on a treasure hunt and the next clue is just around the corner, and then I run into some dead links and have to sift through Archive.org for a while :roll:

Joe90 wrote:
I don't know what fascinates me really, just perhaps the legacy of something that once was, and the historical side to it. and all those creepy stories that get connected to it, stuff like that. I just find it interesting and thrilling. :)

I don't know if I would call it a special interest (though I guess it probably is), but I know what you mean. I've been through a few myself; it's a lot easier when you're a kid and people just tell you to "get lost", or when it's off in the middle of a forest somewhere.

This website is pretty great: https://ru-abandoned.livejournal.com/

There's another guy who has DVDs he's made of exploring Chernobyl, I really want to get them, but last time I checked they were kind of expensive.

KanyeWestFan
Toucan
Toucan

12 Nov 2017, 10:21 pm

Rap music, NBA, Pro-Wrestling and Combat Sports

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2017, 5:27 am

My "big three" special interests, the ones that I feel define me as a person, are I Love Lucy, Cedar Point and their roller coasters, and science in general (neuropsychiatric disorders, particularly bipolar mania, specifically). My biggest special interest between ages 6 and 11 was Archie comic books, and I revived that interest around 2013. I am now totally obsessed with the show Riverdale, and that's what has been getting most of my attention lately. I just made a Riverdale collage last night.

eeVenye
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2017, 5:53 am

Table top gaming (hmm, I do have money right now for GenCon, if I don't buy games before then....) and, paradoxically, the religious roots of culture.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2017, 12:28 pm

Building stuff with computer code. Programming robot's, writing custom AI, etc. I put Neither Happy Nor Sad for lack of a better choice, and because that's technically true.That's not to say I feel neutral, but happy isn't quite right. It's more like a deep contentment. I am calm and focused.

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2017, 2:01 pm

Motorbikes and WW2 vehicles.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

14 Nov 2017, 2:46 pm

I have multiple special interests, though I say you could sum them all up in two words: anime and music (especially music theory, music technology and the history and development of contemporary music.)

I feel very happy when I'm learning more about my special interests. I wouldn't call them full-blown obsessions as I can focus on other stuff, but I am very passionate about my interests all the same.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 4:00 pm

Germany
Hogan's Heroes
WWll
German helmets
The swastika
Pro-Life
London
The Kinks
Cut the Rope and Om Nom
Peahawk from the Pacific Blue Cross commercials
The Olympics both Summer and Winter
The Internet
Documentaries on events of the 20th Century
Other pea-like characters
Arts & crafts
Classical music
Marching music
Television and the history behind it
Hippies - I admit that I'm attracted to them

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 8:18 am

Hypercoaster wrote:
My biggest special interest between ages 6 and 11 was Archie comic books, and I revived that interest around 2013. I am now totally obsessed with the show Riverdale, and that's what has been getting most of my attention lately.

I need to finish watching that show, it's...kind of strange.

I like that the actor who plays Jughead actually looks a lot like him.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 10:03 am

Special interests are:

History
Music history
People's own stories of the past
Documentaries
1970's
1980's
1990's
1970's music
1980's music
1990's music
Old fashion
Vintage tech
Vintage items
Old cars
Sailor Moon
Daft Punk
Germany
German
Roland TB-303
Roland TR-808
Roland TR-909
Drum breaks
Music samples
8-bit stuff
Old video games and computers
Arcade machines
B-boying
Retro logos

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on November 15, 2017)

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 1:08 pm

- Coding, especially audio DSP code.
- History, especially the local history around places that I've lived; the old industries, buildings, street names, railway lines etc.
- Words and etymology (how a word comes to have the meaning it does.)
- Stripping and re-building just about anything mechanical. I can't resist looking inside to find out how something works.
- The never-ending mystery of what goes on in other people's heads to make them act the way they do!