Page 4 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

How do you feel when pursuing your special interest?
I'm euphoric 29%  29%  [ 22 ]
Happy 61%  61%  [ 46 ]
Not happy nor sad 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Bothered by it 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Don't have a special interest 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 76

Cratilla
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Nov 2017, 8:48 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Cratilla wrote:
I don't know exactly what counts or not, how far it has to be to count in extent or abnormality etc.

If you think it counts, then it probably does.

Find someone to talk to, tell them about one of your interests, and see if they get bored and walk away from you =(

I've found tactics within a year ago that improves that somewhat. What I really want to give is a lecture (but I now understand that the non-responsiveness of my line manager meant lack of interest, when we were in a car for 2-3 hours and I explained everything he could want to know about arachnid mating habits...).

I used to monologue, and that's how I would rather communicate. But what I do now is headline. I tell my colleague about one or two animals, top-line and not in huge depth. Her reaction is then, "haha, Cratilla is at the animal sex tales again". I then cross off that animal from the list I keep on my desktop (avoid repetition to the same person), and wait a few weeks before telling her the next one on the list.

I think reactions are much better since I started headlining rather than monologuing.

Although I'm still learning to limit myself. It's a bit sad to really, as well, because monologuing about this and my hobby are kinda the only social interactions I do comfortably and at length.

Last edited by Cratilla on 20 Nov 2017, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2017, 8:58 am

TheSilentOne wrote:
Doctor Who and anything related to it :)

:heart:

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2017, 9:08 am

It used to be thinking deeply and listening to information about environmental, social and political issues on NPR for a while. Kinda blew up in my face last year though. Now it just sucks. I live in a Trump town and really have to keep all my biggest opinions to myself in order to stay employed and not bring real hate on myself.

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2017, 4:01 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
^^Do you ever get an urge to go back to it sometimes? I haven't had any Lego of my own for over 30 years, but I still hanker for it occasionally, especially when I go to see my Brother's family - his lads are really into it, and I get totally engrossed straight away when I'm playing Lego with them.

I have... pounds... pounds and pounds of Lego blocks in bags and drawers and boxes... I should measure them in cubic feet at this point... (probably ~20-30cf at this point)... I haven't had a place for them since I've become a grown up with a family... but I haven't stopped collecting them... a friend of my gifted my probably 25 of his sets in the last six months... and I just stack them up... eventually I'm going to have to face my wife's desire to free up all the space I use storing them... so far I've been able to stave that off by "sharing" my collection with my son...

One day I will just pour them all into a pile and swim around in them like Scrooge McDuck.

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2017, 4:05 pm

Cratilla wrote:
I don't know exactly what counts or not, how far it has to be to count in extent or abnormality etc.

But one of my colleagues did say that I always turn conversations back onto my interests. Oops. She was referring to the animal sex facts that I've been collecting for years.

That seems like the worst topic to always redirect a conversation to. (Or possibly the very very best) So yeah. I think by all reasonable measure if you are steering a conversation toward squiggly duck penises AT WORK and you aren't a zoologist, I think you hit the criteria for special interest.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 4:22 pm

^^ Sounds a hell of a lot more entertaining than any water-cooler chit-chat I ever had to feign interest in. :D

Cratilla

20 Nov 2017, 6:55 pm

OhkaBaka wrote:
That seems like the worst topic to always redirect a conversation to. (Or possibly the very very best) So yeah. I think by all reasonable measure if you are steering a conversation toward squiggly duck penises AT WORK and you aren't a zoologist, I think you hit the criteria for special interest.

:lol: Thanks, I'll give special interests a tick... I'm currently information gathering, hoping for an assessment early 2018.

I had to concede she had a point, seeing as there was a conversation about hiking up mountains, and I'd somehow brought up bedbug sex. Trying to not do that anymore.

Trogluddite wrote:
^^ Sounds a hell of a lot more entertaining than any water-cooler chit-chat I ever had to feign interest in. :D

:mrgreen: Although I may have a reputation as the office oddball.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 6:05 am

Cratilla wrote:
I tell my colleague about one or two animals, top-line and not in huge depth. Her reaction is then, "haha, Cratilla is at the animal sex tales again".

Yep, that sounds about right =)

Gnasher
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Nov 2017, 6:50 am

I've been a songwriter and performing musician for 37 years playing bass for 36 years and guitar for 1 year.
I only play material that I have written or co-wrote.
I wrote a New Genre Rock Opera that I'm wanting to stage here in Scotland.
My only solace comes from writing and performing.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 8:23 am

Gnasher wrote:
I've been a songwriter and performing musician for 37 years playing bass for 36 years and guitar for 1 year.
I only play material that I have written or co-wrote.
I wrote a New Genre Rock Opera that I'm wanting to stage here in Scotland.
My only solace comes from writing and performing.

Hello Gnasher

First post so hello and welcome to Wrong Planet :D

'only solace' what about the lovely weather up there?

Cratilla

21 Nov 2017, 4:01 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Cratilla wrote:
I tell my colleague about one or two animals, top-line and not in huge depth. Her reaction is then, "haha, Cratilla is at the animal sex tales again".

Yep, that sounds about right =)

The thing is, I would rather everyone monologued. I hate small talk, but I love learning things. Discovered a guy at work loves cooking knives, so he came over and showed me pictures of knives, and described the difference between handmade European and Japanese knives.

A party of everyone in this forum is a party I might actually turn up to. It'd be like a stroll through Wikipedia.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 5:59 pm

I've had a few different people call me a "human Wikipedia"... ¬_¬

Cratilla

21 Nov 2017, 6:56 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I've had a few different people call me a "human Wikipedia"... ¬_¬

It's one of the best websites out there, so that means that you are one of the best

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 7:34 pm

Got carried away before when talking to my friend, they brought up cats and dogs, so I ended up talking a lot about different types of dogs, and the nature of cats, and my friend just looked at me, and asked if I even took a breath in that speech, haha. :lol:

Rukkus

22 Nov 2017, 8:39 am

Psychology
PewDiePie
Video Games
Studying Drugs

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 8:44 am