Page 2 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

How do you feel when pursuing your special interest?
I'm euphoric 29%  29%  [ 22 ]
Happy 61%  61%  [ 46 ]
Not happy nor sad 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Bothered by it 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Don't have a special interest 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 76

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 1:08 pm

- Coding, especially audio DSP code.
- History, especially the local history around places that I've lived; the old industries, buildings, street names, railway lines etc.
- Words and etymology (how a word comes to have the meaning it does.)
- Stripping and re-building just about anything mechanical. I can't resist looking inside to find out how something works.
- The never-ending mystery of what goes on in other people's heads to make them act the way they do!

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2017, 3:35 pm

Virtual Reality!

I'm very obsessive about this topic, I buy and use a lot of the equipment. Lucky for me it's actually useful because I create stuff for VR that other people get to enjoy. And I get to show people VR because I hang around a lot with my equipment at a local maker space. Seeing people reactions to it is very fun :D

When I'm inside VR I spend most of my time in VRChat and similar social worlds where I get to see a lot of interesting and crazy things, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8R1eYGXRso I'm the skeleton peeking in trough the door to the restroom in that video :lol:

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2017, 3:49 pm

Enceladus wrote:
Virtual Reality!

I'm very obsessive about this topic, I buy and use a lot of the equipment. Lucky for me it's actually useful because I create stuff for VR that other people get to enjoy. And I get to show people VR because I hang around a lot with my equipment at a local maker space. Seeing people reactions to it is very fun :D

When I'm inside VR I spend most of my time in VRChat and similar social worlds where I get to see a lot of interesting and crazy things, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8R1eYGXRso I'm the skeleton peeking in trough the door to the restroom in that video :lol:

What is all this VR stuff? And the headsets? Explain it to me, I'm a technophobe. What do people use it for??

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2017, 4:31 pm

LostGirI wrote:
What is all this VR stuff? And the headsets? Explain it to me, I'm a technophobe. What do people use it for??

You're using a computer device to write this so that big of a technophobe you can't be ;)

Well with a VR headset you can plug it in to you're computer (though you need a very powerful computer) and than you put it on you're head and now you're in Virtual Reality! It's like being inside a computer game/world if you have ever played or seen one. Thought it doesn't have to be games, there's art programs where you can draw and make stuff and all kinds of experiences. A lot of people including myself use it to connect to virtual worlds where we meet up and talk to each other or participate in social activities of different kinds. I like to watch what other people do and listening in on their conversations or watch movies together with people in the public cinema. I also like role playing as whatever character I'm looking like, something I would never have dared to do in the real world. In VR it's easy :) I can be whoever I want because I'm anonymous.

Though you have to be able to handle the unfiltered internet if you connect to the public social worlds. The internet can be crazy, and even more so inside virtual reality. Though that is also what I like about it, the unpredictability of people. Because it's just virtual I feel safe :) It's a lot easier to be an outsider and strange in VR :heart:

I also have a digital SLR camera that I use to take pictures of our real world and than I translate those pictures in to a 3d model I can upload to the internet that people can visit in virtual reality. It's like you can travel instantly to anywhere in the world without actually travelling in the real world.

Usually when I show VR to old people or people not used to technology I show them this relaxing underwater experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGEZy0MI0H8

Though what you want to use VR for is entirely up to you and what you're interested in :)

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2017, 4:35 pm

Sounds cool. I feel old. Even though I'm not that much older than you ha

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 4:49 pm

Joe90 wrote:
LostGirI wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
TV drama series Grange Hill. I'm totally obsessed.

Abandoned buildings, but I can't pursue this one because some busy-body manages to see you and report you, then along come the police. :roll:

U
What is it about abandoned buildings that fascinates you?

Have you been in trouble with the police?

I don't know what fascinates me really, just perhaps the legacy of something that once was, and the historical side to it. and all those creepy stories that get connected to it, stuff like that. I just find it interesting and thrilling. :)

And no, I have never been caught by police, but I know that's what will happen if I did explore an abandoned place. I've only been in one derelict building, and that was just a small house. I went with my cousins. All derelict properties always seem to be owned by somebody, which means exploring one will be trespassing. :roll:
Right now I'm really fascinated by a very old Odeon that has been abandoned for over 15 years. It has a really creepy structure to the building, and looks more like one of those castle prisons from the outside and has 1 dungeon-like window, among a few boarded-up modern windows. It sits right in the middle of a busy part of the city as well, so you wouldn't think it'd be that creepy, but it still has a creepy vibe every time I go by it on the bus.
I have a fascination with abandoned buildings too. I've never entered one, I just enjoy watching photos of them and videos online. I've found quite a few on YouTube. :)

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2017, 4:59 pm

LostGirI wrote:
Sounds cool. I feel old. Even though I'm not that much older than you ha

Just yesterday I showed the underwater experience to a 70 something year old man. And he was inside it for like nearly two hours haha! I think it's safe to say he liked it :)

And about two weeks ago I did the same to a very sceptical 50-60 year old lady. Once I showed her the underwater stuff and some of the art experiences I had turned her from a sceptic to someone very interested in buying on herself 8)

It's never to late to learn something new. A lot of the people I meet at my local makerspace is much older than me. People there make all sorts of things, from clothes/costumes and furniture to advanced computer stuff, and then we get to learn from each other. I'm the local VR guy and get to tell everybody about my special interest :heart:

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2017, 5:41 pm

ConfusedVoice wrote:
I have a lot and I rotate through the smaller ones thanks to my ADHD I believe.

I hear that.

ConfusedVoice wrote:
Longest held ones are big cats.

YAY! Big cats are the best. I started writing a novel about 15 years ago about cats, all stemming from my special interest... It will never see the light of day most likely (if it takes you more than a decade to write a book, you risk becoming a different person before you finish... and as much as I love it, the story is something I would rather not see published anymore)...

ConfusedVoice wrote:
Specific game apps (used to be video games but I don't really have time to sit down and pursue anymore with a family).

I used to be really unfair to people who played apps... as I've been a gamer since elementary... but I hear this entirely, family, work, etc... I now play ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY apps on my phone... so much so that I've thought repeatedly about writing a blog or something on the subject... I still think Candy Crush is a crime against humanity...

ConfusedVoice
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2017, 5:43 pm

That sounds so neat!!

Enceladus wrote:
LostGirI wrote:

You're using a computer device to write this so that big of a technophobe you can't be ;)

Well with a VR headset you can plug it in to you're computer (though you need a very powerful computer) and than you put it on you're head and now you're in Virtual Reality! It's like being inside a computer game/world if you have ever played or seen one. Thought it doesn't have to be games, there's art programs where you can draw and make stuff and all kinds of experiences. A lot of people including myself use it to connect to virtual worlds where we meet up and talk to each other or participate in social activities of different kinds. I like to watch what other people do and listening in on their conversations or watch movies together with people in the public cinema. I also like role playing as whatever character I'm looking like, something I would never have dared to do in the real world. In VR it's easy :) I can be whoever I want because I'm anonymous.

Though you have to be able to handle the unfiltered internet if you connect to the public social worlds. The internet can be crazy, and even more so inside virtual reality. Though that is also what I like about it, the unpredictability of people. Because it's just virtual I feel safe :) It's a lot easier to be an outsider and strange in VR :heart:

I also have a digital SLR camera that I use to take pictures of our real world and than I translate those pictures in to a 3d model I can upload to the internet that people can visit in virtual reality. It's like you can travel instantly to anywhere in the world without actually travelling in the real world.

Usually when I show VR to old people or people not used to technology I show them this relaxing underwater experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGEZy0MI0H8

Though what you want to use VR for is entirely up to you and what you're interested in :)

Diagnosed with severe ADHD and High Functioning Aspergers.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 55 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2017, 5:53 pm

soloha wrote:
Building stuff with computer code. Programming robot's, writing custom AI, etc. I put Neither Happy Nor Sad for lack of a better choice, and because that's technically true.That's not to say I feel neutral, but happy isn't quite right. It's more like a deep contentment. I am calm and focused.

I could get into a hyperfocused state when coding in my teens and twenties. I didn't "feel" good or bad... or anything really... but I just got so deep into it that I stopped being/seeing/feeling anything but the code. Weirdly zen, meditative and content... and I was good at it, so losing 16 hours was a point of pride because of the product I would have coming out the other end.

Historically I've had to edit myself when talking to psych's about it because I describe it in a way they UNIVERSALLY assume is bi-polar... I don't think I'm amazing in the moment, I have to explain, I come out the other side, and look back on what I did, and I was f*****g amazing. That confuses them... makes me sad not everyone experiences hyperfocus, but also glad that I ever did.

I lost my hyperfocus when I got medicated for my ADD, and it never came back. Worthwhile trade-off... but I miss it all the same.

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2017, 5:56 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
Special interests are:

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on November 15, 2017)

I find it fascinating that Lego is not in your special interests.

ConfusedVoice
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2017, 6:43 pm

I was just thinking about Legos today when playing blocks with my daughter. I devoted many days of my childhood to Legos. Good times.

OhkaBaka wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:
Special interests are:

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on November 15, 2017)

I find it fascinating that Lego is not in your special interests.

Diagnosed with severe ADHD and High Functioning Aspergers.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 55 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 8:51 pm

Current most intense ones:

The 1970s
Tower blocks
Brutalism
Despicable Me
Minecraft

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2017, 9:41 pm

My main one for the past few years has been powerlifting.

I didn't recognize it as being a special interest until I was talking to someone about my hobbies and they mentioned that I'd taken my own powerlifting way past the point of calling it a hobby.

Which I guess is true. It's like 75% of what I talk about and think about and I'm ridiculously obsessive about it.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2017, 3:48 am

Painting. It often goes along with small bursts of temporary interests, mostly something with biology. Last year I was obsessed with painting human anatomy, especially brains, hearts and lungs, and the muscular system. Right now I'm really into mushroom-species, so I paint them and put it together in classification maps.

kahhh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Nov 2017, 7:48 am

My longest is psychology and psychiatry. Lately I think ADHD has sort of been one. I'm blanking out on others right now.