Sexual Harassment against celebrities has me concerned

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 3:15 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Also, to consider whether they have invited that kind of disclosure or shut it down by asserting that "women make a lot of false rape accusations," or whatever the phrase that indicates high levels of doubt on your part.

Just going to repeat myself here: most human beings lie, regardless of gender. The current accusations in Hollywood are being made by both genders. Any gender can be sexually abused by any gender. Any gender can be afraid to speak about it.

Some human beings have a compulsion to seek justice against other human beings who have genuinely wronged them and/or others.

Some human beings have a compulsion to wrongfully defame other human beings for their own egotistical benefit.

I can't pretend to know who is who, but I know all of these people exist, and I don't give them genders.

Either way most people do not make false accusations of rape or sexual harassment.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 6:23 pm

I would not stop watching a movie or series I enjoy because some actor or director may or may not have committed this or that crime, nor would it stop me from watching it if I knew beforehand. I'm not into it for any actor, I'm into it for the plot and entertainment.

I do not care what the cast do in their spare time. If they commit crime, that is between them, their victim and the right authorities. Boycotting movies or other entertainment would only mean that I missed out on something I'm interested in.

If I could only enjoy movies (and books, games and music) created and performed by virtuous people, I think the list would likely be short and boring.

Some people wanted to boycott the movie Ender's Game because Orson Scott Card apparently is against gays. I don't care what his views on anything is, I only care that I liked his book and wanted to see the movie adaptation (which was good).

I had some CDs by Rolf Harris since before he was accused of assault. I still enjoy them as much as I did before I knew, it has no bearing on the music, nor do I think any less of the show Animal Hospital that he hosted back i the day.

For me it's all about the content (music/ movie etc) for me, not the person behind it.

If others feel differently about it, they are free to boycott it. But the rest of us are not bad people for taking it as the entertainment it is and not a standpoint on anything.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 8:39 pm

Giving them money gives them power. I rarely advocate piracy, but...

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 8:14 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Either way most people do not make false accusations of rape or sexual harassment.

I agree.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 12:50 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Also, to consider whether they have invited that kind of disclosure or shut it down by asserting that "women make a lot of false rape accusations," or whatever the phrase that indicates high levels of doubt on your part.

Just going to repeat myself here: most human beings lie, regardless of gender. The current accusations in Hollywood are being made by both genders. Any gender can be sexually abused by any gender. Any gender can be afraid to speak about it.

Some human beings have a compulsion to seek justice against other human beings who have genuinely wronged them and/or others.

Some human beings have a compulsion to wrongfully defame other human beings for their own egotistical benefit.

I can't pretend to know who is who, but I know all of these people exist, and I don't give them genders.

You quoted me giving reasons why a person might not disclose in order to say, "some people lie a lot." Later you qualify that as not applying to the topic at hand.

The quote gives my reasons for believing that people who shut down disclosure will have a warped view of reality. Confirmation bias squared.