Even Sulu in Star Trek is being accused!

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 10:48 am

Of sexual harassment.

The gay actor who played Sulu is being accused of harassing a young male model in 1981.

I guess its good that both straight and gay sexual harassment in showbiz is being outed and being condemned. But I am starting to get scandal fatigue.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 12:27 pm

I fear that after a period of time the media will go on to something else and the predators will free to be predators again and some of them will have successful comebacks. When in 1991 a nominee for the Supreme court was accused of sexual harassment it was a very big deal. In my workplace posters about sexual harassment went up everywhere and there were uncomfortable discussions at the workplace and a lot of the guys reported uncomfortable conversations at home. Then as now, the conventional wisdom was that this was the moment that was finally going to change everything. It did for awhile but apparently judging by the revelations from so many varied industries we went right back to the "Mad Men" era of workplace sexual harassment. Of course later in that decade, many felt other things were more important then predatory actions of a President and last year the we elected a President who bragged about doing it a number of times.

Another concern is that innocent people will have their lives damaged sacrificed in our desire to correct past wrongs.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 5:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Of sexual harassment.

The gay actor who played Sulu is being accused of harassing a young male model in 1981.

I guess its good that both straight and gay sexual harassment in showbiz is being outed and being condemned. But I am starting to get scandal fatigue.

1981? So it doesn't get reported for 36 years until now?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 10:21 pm

With the likes of Weinstrein and Spacey, I wasn't entirely surprised, and I had little or no reason to doubt the accusations. But George Takei... from what I know of him, he's been in a monogamous relationship for decades. I'm beginning to think there are some accusers out there to catch their fifteen minutes before disappearing into the void of anonymity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 11:42 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
But George Takei... from what I know of him, he's been in a monogamous relationship for decades. I'm beginning to think there are some accusers out there to catch their fifteen minutes before disappearing into the void of anonymity.

Is it possible that nearly all male celebrities are so used to women (or in the case of Takei men) throwing themselves at them that they start to think of all women (or men) as objectified sex objects. Me thinks this is more widespread than we care to admit and (no) Takei is not Jesus Christ

Remarkably one Orange haired celebrity has managed to evade prosecution for all his indiscretions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Tr ... llegations

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 1:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
But George Takei... from what I know of him, he's been in a monogamous relationship for decades. I'm beginning to think there are some accusers out there to catch their fifteen minutes before disappearing into the void of anonymity.

Is it possible that nearly all male celebrities are so used to women (or in the case of Takei men) throwing themselves at them that they start to think of all women (or men) as objectified sex objects. Me thinks this is more widespread than we care to admit and (no) Takei is not Jesus Christ

Remarkably one Orange haired celebrity has managed to evade prosecution for all his indiscretions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Tr ... llegations

It is of course possible.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 5:20 am

I thin these things start off with genuine cases but then increasingly attract people who ,for whatever reason, want their moment in the limelight. That of course makes it harder for genuine cases to be taken seriously.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 5:16 am

if a martian were to come down here on earth and witness all this misbehavior, he might be excused to think that 90% of us give the other 10% a bad rep.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 5:26 am

auntblabby wrote:
if a martian were to come down here on earth and witness all this misbehavior, he might be excused to think that 90% of us give the other 10% a bad rep.

Which is why aliens give us a wide berth

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 5:28 am

i think uncle sam, decades ago, made a devil's bargain with some outer space reptilians, who did not give us a wide berth but who likely chased away all the others. and to borrow from an American sports metaphor, I say to George T, "...say it isn't so!"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 3:59 pm

Yes the underground bunker theory postulates the bargain struck includes using these secret facilities us as a source of tissue for food for the aforementioned reptilians

After all we do taste exactly like pork

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 7:01 pm

/\Not really,more like tough chicken.Couch fattened Americans are fatty like pork,but all the chemical food additives leave a bad aftertaste.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 8:03 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i think uncle sam, decades ago, made a devil's bargain with some outer space reptilians, who did not give us a wide berth but who likely chased away all the others. and to borrow from an American sports metaphor, I say to George T, "...say it isn't so!"

He of course did say it aint so. Being that this is Mr Sulu, who's been a stable in my life since my childhood, I sincerely hope he's telling the truth.