Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 5:56 pm

I admire the readers who took action to make their concern known.

Single incidents seem trivial, but it is the continual incidence of such incidences that compounds the many forms that dehumanisation of AS people takes, and kudos to the editor who realised the inappropriateness of smearing a vulnerable population.

“Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force but through persistence".

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 1:37 pm

AspieSingleDad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspieSingleDad wrote:
I was in the process of writing an email to the editor and I was referencing the review on the website and he changed the working to state, "an unexplained insensitivity". I guess he must have received enough complaints to change it. Obviously there wasn't enough flack to issue an apology but still, I thought the fact that he had to make that change was a step in the right direction.

Quote:
This review has been edited after publication to remove references to Aspergers Syndrome that offended some readers. We apologise for any offence caused.

Most people do not want intentionally melign or troll us. Most of these stereotyped references are said without thinking. Rapid awareness can cause these situations sometimes.

That's actually a fair, even-minded assessment that's probably true. Being somebody who didn't know they were autistic, I just didn't pay attention to it. Now that I know what I am, I'm just surprised how "low" we are considered. How things like gay rights have progressed well beyond anything autistics enjoy. So I guess I get a little riled up when I see this stuff. Thanks for putting things into perspective a bit.

You are welcome.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman