Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 11:28 am

Theatre review: The Retreat

Quote:
When it comes to comedy vehicles that just never get started, let alone fly (this metaphor will stop any moment now) unreasonable behaviour has to be up there with deeply stupid people. Both allow a comedy writer to just not bother with the far more difficult, but much funnier practice of writing a character who behaves in a way that we might in similar circumstances.

And so when Sam Bain’s sibling comedy, directed by Kathy Burke, relies on one brother displaying Asperger’s levels of insensitivity to generate laughs, alarm bells ring.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2017, 4:11 pm

Being remarkably insensitive while complaining about a movie's remarkable insensitivity

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 4:26 pm

It's called "projection", dear ones. :(

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 5:11 pm

Whoever wrote that review has an NT level of insensitivity.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 6:20 am

We should write letters of complaints to the editors of the publication of that article. We can't allow casual expressions like that which just perpetuate negative stereotypes of AS people.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 8:13 pm

Jono wrote:
We should write letters of complaints to the editors of the publication of that article. We can't allow casual expressions like that which just perpetuate negative stereotypes of AS people.

This may work. At least it worked very well for the "Gamergate" guys.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 7:48 pm

"Asperger's level of insensitivity"? So... is he trying to say that the level of insensitivity is extremely, ridiculously low? Yes, that must be it.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 12:31 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Whoever wrote that review has an NT level of insensitivity.

^ You bet.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 5:08 pm

Nationals senator under fire for "appalling and offensive" autism slur

Quote:
Autism advocates are seeking an apology from Nationals senator Barry O'Sullivan over an "appalling and offensive" autism slur.

Speaking about the growing pressure for a commission of inquiry into the banking sector, Nationals senator Barry O'Sullivan told the ABC's RN Breakfast on Monday that the banks "show an almost autistic disregard for prudential regulation and law and it's time for these people to have their day in court".

ABC journalist Peter Ryan tweeted that the broadcaster had received complaints about the senator's comment.

Autism Awareness Australia CEO and director Nicole Rogerson said the senator's choice of words was unacceptable.

"It was just appalling and offensive," Ms Rogerson tells SBS. "He clearly thought this was a very clever thing to say. The target was clearly the banks, not people with autism, but people people with autism just got thrown under the bus.

"Imagine you're a young person with autism, and you're in the car, and you heard that. He was explaining how ruthless the banks are, they don't have any empathy for human beings, they are inhuman - that was just equated to who you are. When you say things flippantly for a soundbite, somebody is behind that soundbite and words really matter."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 6:06 pm

Well good for her. I don't think he will do it again - a learning moment.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 7:29 pm

James Mangold Bashes Film Writer After Negative ‘Logan’ Tweet: ‘You Seem Pompous to Me’

Quote:
James Mangold is not hiding his distaste for Hollywood Elsewhere founder and writer Jeff Wells. The “Logan” director lashed out against Wells on Twitter after the film writer made a jab at Mangold’s latest Wolverine film by calling it “too violent.”

Mangold replied to Wells by saying he could’ve predicted his negative reaction. Wells tried to amend his comment by linking to his article “Logan.” Wells’ piece isn’t exactly positive, although it does praise Dafne Keen’s breakout performance.

“Really? Jesus, Jeff. I’m gonna have to assume you have aspergers or otherwise I just can’t keep up the good will,” Mangold replied.

MidnightMoon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 4:58 pm

I wish there were a much stronger word than "insensitive" to describe this moron's review.

Why yes, I am a conservative.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 5:53 am

I was in the process of writing an email to the editor and I was referencing the review on the website and he changed the working to state, "an unexplained insensitivity". I guess he must have received enough complaints to change it. Obviously there wasn't enough flack to issue an apology but still, I thought the fact that he had to make that change was a step in the right direction.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 9:39 am

AspieSingleDad wrote:
I was in the process of writing an email to the editor and I was referencing the review on the website and he changed the working to state, "an unexplained insensitivity". I guess he must have received enough complaints to change it. Obviously there wasn't enough flack to issue an apology but still, I thought the fact that he had to make that change was a step in the right direction.

Quote:
This review has been edited after publication to remove references to Aspergers Syndrome that offended some readers. We apologise for any offence caused.

Most people do not want intentionally melign or troll us. Most of these stereotyped references are said without thinking. Rapid awareness can cause these situations sometimes.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 5:51 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspieSingleDad wrote:

Quote:
This review has been edited after publication to remove references to Aspergers Syndrome that offended some readers. We apologise for any offence caused.

Most people do not want intentionally melign or troll us. Most of these stereotyped references are said without thinking. Rapid awareness can cause these situations sometimes.

That's actually a fair, even-minded assessment that's probably true. Being somebody who didn't know they were autistic, I just didn't pay attention to it. Now that I know what I am, I'm just surprised how "low" we are considered. How things like gay rights have progressed well beyond anything autistics enjoy. So I guess I get a little riled up when I see this stuff. Thanks for putting things into perspective a bit.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 5:56 pm

I admire the readers who took action to make their concern known.

Single incidents seem trivial, but it is the continual incidence of such incidences that compounds the many forms that dehumanisation of AS people takes, and kudos to the editor who realised the inappropriateness of smearing a vulnerable population.

“Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force but through persistence".