Contacted twice by local autism center. Wanting to hire ME?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 12:53 pm

So basically I posted my resume on indeed and I get contacted twice (I missed the first email) and the job offer was from a local autism center looking for people to train to be ABA therapists to kids... What the? Would someone that is a possible aspie even be good at that? I don't even know how I really feel about the therapy 8O

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 1:12 pm

The thinking is that someone on the spectrum would be better able to understand the kids as "you have walked in their shoes." And, your special interest may be of help as you may be able to go on bird walks with the kids. A lot of learning is too abstract. Having someone identify common birds like song sparrows, chickadees, and blue jays could really make a difference to some kids. Much better to see the birds in real life.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 1:16 pm

BTDT wrote:
The thinking is that someone on the spectrum would be better able to understand the kids as "you have walked in their shoes."

Heh my resume is "bird environmental education" and "bird research" maybe they were thinking that based on "possible special interest" IDK

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 1:30 pm

I looked back at what I wrote on indeed and I said

"Looking for work with someone friendly with disabled people. "

I was saying I was disabled but maybe they read that as I wanted to work WITH disabled people?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 1:36 pm

Remember that pay isn't everything.
Actually using a special interest is a big plus.
Regular hours may allow you to settle into a routine.
The working environment may be just as important as what you do.
You may be able to help the kids out just be identifying stuff that doesn't work for people on the spectrum, like
noisy clocks and way too bright lights.

Last edited by BTDT on 11 Nov 2017, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 2:22 pm

I think this is an opportunity to add valuable input to help improve the environment for the children. You're not going to stop ABA therapy, but you can improve the environments that the children are stuck in, in the best way you can. It will help them to improve the way they teach with the least mental anguish to the children. That's my stance on it. If they are unwilling to listen then you can tell them you are autistic and know what you are talking about.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 2:43 pm

I remember being verbally abused as a kid in an attempt to "correct" my meltdowns... I really wouldn't want to become a kid torturer myself...

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 3:04 pm

Angnix wrote:
maybe they read that as I wanted to work WITH disabled people?

That's how I would of read it , perhaps you should change it. That statement doesn't really convey you wishes.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Rukkus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Nov 2017, 9:05 am

Do you think you would make a good therapist? Would you be able to see things from their perspective and empathize? You may be able to relate but can you do those things?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 12:21 pm

I think autistic kids need good role models. Examples of Aspies that have developed their special interests and are willing to share their knowledge with others. Too many people aren't willing to share what they know. Especially as equals.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 12:41 pm

It might be worth a shot, but I also have to express a reservation. It might be you don't have the resilience to put up with the kind of challenges this work could involve, day after day. For whatever reason, you have not held a job in quite a while (unless I missed something). As you expressed in your resume, you probably need a bit of shielding from pressures, yourself. It wouldn't hurt to interview and ask a lot of questions, and maybe suggest you would like to start on a trial basis with no expectations on either side.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 8:16 pm

Go for it!! ! There will always be doubters but give it a try.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 12:37 am

I think you should go for it.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 3:13 am

Spend some time getting to know them and to think about whether their therapies are useful for the kids. Don't force yourself to make a decision about this job immediately. Why don't you try it, and if it's not for you, just say that you don't think it's the right job for you and leave. It could be great, but you just can't know until you try. And don't force yourself if it doesn't work for you.