abusive gymnast doctor, Michigan State negligent?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 1:24 pm

Larry Nassar is the doctor who used the guise of "treatment" to insert bare fingers in the vagina and anus of various teenage gymnasts. Yeah, he's a pretty sick pup. He also betrayed his profession of medicine.

Here's an article from back in February which starts to address whether or not Michigan State University was proactive enough.

Quote:

Gymnastics doctor charged with 22 counts in sex assault case

CNN, Feb. 23, 2017

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/22/health/gy ... index.html

' . . . The lawsuit alleges that USA Gymnastics, MSU and Twistars were negligent in allowing the abuse to occur, and that Michigan State kept Nassar on its staff even though at least three of his patients had filed complaints about his behavior.

'The suit claims that MSU investigated one of the alleged victims' complaints in 2014 but dismissed them after determining that the victim "didn't understand the 'nuanced difference' between sexual assault and an appropriate medical procedure." . . . '

So, because a potentially distressed person doesn't put it in the right legal terms? Or, the legal person is immediately jumping to the question of whether the person would be good on the witness stand, and completely skipping the question of whether we should continue investigating. And if there's any question of whether something is a legitimate medical procedure or something sexual, my God.

Just like in a gynecology exam, a nurse is present. And yes, it probably does help if the nurse is female. There'd be some ethical questions we could unravel at another time.

Yes, this abusive, idiot "doctor" probably will spend the rest of his life in prison.

3 complaints? And the university didn't find a way to take this seriously.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 1:36 pm

damn disappointed that our institutions work so poorly

when it seems that with just a little bit of effort and focusing on the people we're supposed to be serving, but apparently this is not so easy at all

More people worry about their jobs in a small sense, rather than in a broad sense. And maybe for good reason. Maybe very few institutions are set up so that they can handle and welcome people sincerely trying to do a good job in a broad sense.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 5:17 pm

That sicko needs to be locked up in solitary confinement. I nearly lost my lunch when I read that.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 7:53 pm

It's sad, infuriating, tragic, way unnecessary. And on some level, he chose to be a bad doctor.

I mean, maybe he could have found someone to share this burden with and looked for ways to deflect. Hell, he could have changed his practice. There are plenty of seniors and middle-aged adults who need orthopedic help.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 7:54 pm

And I think we've got to address the question, How can institutions become much better at paying attention to medium red flags much earlier in situations?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 8:39 pm

Quote:

Gymnastics doctor charged with 22 counts in sex assault case

CNN, Feb. 23, 2017

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/22/health/gy ... index.html

' . . . One former gymnast, Tiffany Thomas-Lopez, said she started seeing Nassar in 1998 and that she was told to continue seeing him despite feeling uncomfortable.

'"Initially I was told that this was normal, this was typical, and to continue getting treatment," Thomas-Lopez said on HLN's "MichaeLA."

'"It was hard to feel and be told that I was crazy, and then start to believe that this is not happening." . . . '

Please notice how someone told her that what she thought was happening wasn't really happening.

People in all kinds of jobs do this. They feel they are being asked by management to "normalize" and reduce complaints.

---------------------

You may have had a job in which you were criticized for asking too many questions. I have. And no, we don't want to be like the boy who cried wolf and raise too many issues. However, we do want to raise the most important issues.

The skill might be to somewhat understate the issue, and thereby get your boss to start arguing the other side. Or somewhat understate and get your boss to fill in the blanks and decide on his or her own that yes, this is potentially serious. (on the most important issues, it's important to use our best skills) Can always come back to your boss later that same day or the next day.

And bosses seem to like someone being brief. So maybe preface with "I have an important issue . . . " and then one or two sentences.