Why does it have to be so hard to get a gaming mouse?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 8:07 pm

Uhh this is ridiculous, I've been trying to get a good gaming mouse for playing League of Legends as the mouse I have has gotten very sluggish...it wasn't a very good one, so expected it would crap out at some point. Anyways so I bought a gaming mouse at Wal-Mart....and it required that you download software from a disk to program it and such, well of course my newish Acer doesn't have a disk drive. So I took that back for a refund. Then today I got a mouse at Best Buy as they have better ones than walmart and software you download online all good right? NO! of course I grabbed defective one...plugged it into the USB port and nothing mouse didn't turn on computer didn't recognize anything in USB port. Bad cord I assume but....grrr its so frustrating. So tomorrow I will go exchange it I guess, and then perhaps see if I can try it out at the store and make sure that one works.

Certainly not the first time I have ran into trouble with electronics/computers lol.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 9:01 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
....and it required that you download software from a disk to program it and such, well of course my newish Acer doesn't have a disk drive.

Even if it comes with a driver disc, you can usually find more up-to-date drivers online.

I don't know about the other mouse, maybe you're right and it's defective.

I've been having my own mouse problems...I have this trackball that I really love, and I wanted to get another one, but either I'll have to spend a fortune on eBay, or there are less optimal alternatives that either don't have scroll wheels, or are wireless (yuck) =/

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 11:07 am

I've had some problems like this, though not quite the same.

My issue was finding a mouse I could use *at all*. Most modern mice, including almost all gaming mice, are shaped like gigantic lumps. Why, I dont know. Not just uncomfortable, but I found I literally cannot use them. 5 minutes with one of those horrid things and my entire arm feels like it's on fire.

So the $80 gaming mouse I got turned out to be utterly worthless. But so did almost every other one I looked at. The ONE mouse i found that could do the trick? A crappy "iHome" piece of junk mouse from Walmart. Because it's the now-rare "flat" sort. I can actually hold it. And the expensive one just sits here and rots, because what am I going to do with it?

"Ergonomic" they say. Yeah, right. And a shoe that fits well is one that's filled with little spikes, right? Bah.

I'm just glad I dont have a particular need for a gaming-specific mouse. I avoid mouse/keyboard when gaming as much as possible and use the controller for everything.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 5:16 pm

Misery wrote:
I've had some problems like this, though not quite the same.

My issue was finding a mouse I could use *at all*. Most modern mice, including almost all gaming mice, are shaped like gigantic lumps. Why, I dont know. Not just uncomfortable, but I found I literally cannot use them. 5 minutes with one of those horrid things and my entire arm feels like it's on fire.

So the $80 gaming mouse I got turned out to be utterly worthless. But so did almost every other one I looked at. The ONE mouse i found that could do the trick? A crappy "iHome" piece of junk mouse from Walmart. Because it's the now-rare "flat" sort. I can actually hold it. And the expensive one just sits here and rots, because what am I going to do with it?

"Ergonomic" they say. Yeah, right. And a shoe that fits well is one that's filled with little spikes, right? Bah.

I'm just glad I dont have a particular need for a gaming-specific mouse. I avoid mouse/keyboard when gaming as much as possible and use the controller for everything.

Yeah I don't like the 'gigantic lump' design, but I was able to find one that is pretty compact and fits in my hand nicely its a corsair 'harpoon' I guess but yeah its definitely smaller and less blocky looking to a lot of others I have seen...and seems simpler some have like 11 buttons or whatever and I don't need all that. I used to have a little logitech USB mouse that worked pretty well but I broke the USB for it as well as the USB port it was plugged into, by accidentally dropping my laptop. Also the problem with USB mice is you need batteries, sucks in the middle of a game if the batteries die.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 9:52 pm

Not all USB mice are wireless, but it is becoming more difficult to find wired ones.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 5:11 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Not all USB mice are wireless, but it is becoming more difficult to find wired ones.

True lol what I meant was wireless USB mice need batteries...also I did notice during my search it does seem like a normal wired mouse would be hard to find. Does seem quite a few gaming ones do have the cord since I imagine they consider that batteries dying in the middle of a game is detrimental, but there are wireless gaming mice to that boast many, many hours of play before needing to replace batteries but I still don't trust it lol.

Either way I was able to exchange the defective mouse for a working one, but it was kind of an ordeal.

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2017, 4:25 pm

I used to have a gaming mouse that I got for $5. It worked for a while but a kink in the wire made it not work anymore. I just use a regular mouse instead. It works fine for me when I play games but it only works well if the USB end is on the left side of my laptop. The annoying part is I'm right handed so I have to deal with the wires when I play.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2017, 6:31 pm

Wireless mice are generally less favoured because of the possibility for extra latency in the connection. I owned a wireless mouse for a good while and the battery thing was certainly not an issue because it came with two batteries, a battery charger and a meter on the mouse that showed charge. Just swap between a gaming session and there's no chance of losing charge. This wasn't a particularly expensive mouse, though sadly it died on me after a few years.

I should imagine getting a decent mouse at a good price is much easier online?