Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

LazerHoots
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2017, 6:02 am

Before I begin I would like to throw my Aspergers diagnoses out there.

I get overwhelmed very easily. I've had to leave jobs because of my intense anxiety and I just shut down. I cut and run. I'm in a living situation where I'm able to do so without any real financial repercussions.

I also have a hard time with loud, busy places. Like an amusement park or a mall. I end up getting a racing heart and need to take my anxiety medications while needing to step away from the noise. I do have a panic and anxiety disorder diagnosis as well as my Aspergers.

I have a very low threshold, and it's keeping me from doing things I love, progressing in school, and finding / keeping a job. I am currently seeing a therapist, but it seems like nothing is helping. So I've come here to ask for some tips and guidance from internet randos.

Thanks for reading. I know my writing isn't well organized here but it's six in the morning and I havent slept. :D

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 7:54 am

LazerHoots wrote:
Thanks for reading. I know my writing isn't well organized here but it's six in the morning and I havent slept. :D

You need to work on your sleeping. Nobody functions well without enough sleep. Rather than try to do what nobody can do, which is to function well without getting enough sleep, I'd suggest working on getting enough sleep. You may need to do fewer activities in day to make this possible. You may also need to curtail anxiety inducing activities just before bedtime and substitute them with more relaxing ones. While this may make you seem odd to your peers, as you didn't stay up late to watch something late at night like they did, you should also realize that if you do have Aspergers, you will always be odd in the eyes of "normal people." Doing stuff just for the sake of trying to be "normal" is an exercise in futility.

You need to work on getting enough sleep.

Crankymoose
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2017, 8:37 pm

Hello, I had and to an extent still have the same problem. It gets better with time if you recognise what sets you off and have a way to take a little recovery and come back.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 10:51 am

This forum can be useful for finding ideas on reducing stress. But, some things may not apply to you.
I decided to try automatic sunglasses, as some Aspies find overly bright light to be stressful.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 8:48 pm

Shock therapy is what I've found to be the most effective means of developing coping techniques.
You don't have to volunteer yourself into uncomfortable situations.
It's just better to let life take its course and deal you some awkward moments from time to time rather than hide away avoiding them.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 9:53 pm

Depends on what makes you anxious. Similar to what someone else said, making sure you have a strong foundation of health—sufficient sleep, a nutritious diet, exercise, etc.—is a good first step.

You can try exposing yourself to your triggers for brief amounts of time and gradually increasing your exposure.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 10:35 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
Shock therapy is what I've found to be the most effective means of developing coping techniques.
You don't have to volunteer yourself into uncomfortable situations.
It's just better to let life take its course and deal you some awkward moments from time to time rather than hide away avoiding them.

Yes, definitely.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 9:36 pm

I used to have that same problem, too. I learned that anxiety isn’t bad...it’s just a feeling, and it won’t hurt you. It takes practice, but by telling yourself that over and over again you can gain coping skills.