Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 2:51 am

i had a meltdown and tried to hurt my sister and then i hurt myself, my sister called the police on me and i was taken to the hospital and was evaluated and put into therapy and after seeing 2 psychologists and 1 psychiatrist i received a Aspergers diagnoses . i did not seek a diagnoses nor did i know what ASD really was. there was attempts before that to try and diagnose me with other things like poor hearing, ADHD, and bi-polar but most people just chalked me up to a oddball that prefers her own company.

i have a sneaking suspicion my mother was aware but never did anything about it because when my dad told her about my diagnoses all she said was " i know" and still hasnt said anything more about it to this day.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2017, 5:30 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
i have a sneaking suspicion my mother was aware but never did anything about it because when my dad told her about my diagnoses all she said was " i know" and still hasnt said anything more about it to this day.

My mother did pretty much the same thing. When I said "a doctor told me I show signs of autism" her response was "well, yeah. Obviously."
And now I'm still like "What? What the hell do you mean with obviously? Could you maybe have shared this information twenty years ago? Because that would've been really freaking helpful."

kahhh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Nov 2017, 6:21 am

I've always struggled with depression, anxiety, and social anxiety, and was always aware of that part and trying treatment that never really helped enough. I'd wondered about AS just a tiny bit before, but for the most part never thought it could be that and it had to be just social anxiety and mental illness. Then around a couple years ago, I started looking into it a little and around the same time was put on stimulants for severe depression. It was like, ok, I could get up and do things and function better in some ways, but things still didn't feel right and I just had this strong realization of how much there was no amount of depression that was ever possibly going to lift and make me feel "normal". I started becoming a lot more aware of how there was something else "missing", I guess, mentally and in my ability to live life, and it couldn't seriously all be from depression and anxiety. There were also a couple things going on in my social life, yet another job I'd just quit because I couldn't manage to stick out, and a few things like that that pushed me to it. The autism thing came back to mind, and it was like I was so desperate for something to change in life that the mental block in my mind that always tried to keep me from even considering the possibility of AS lifted a little and I started looking into it more. Reading stories from women with autism specifically made it click, and I pretty much became a little obsessed and determined to find out even if just for myself and the validation.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 8:20 am

I always knew I was 'different' than everybody else yet didn't have any of the things other 'different' children had, such as Spina Bifida, mental retardation or Down Syndrome. I finally made the step when I realized at 28 my life was going nowhere and I couldn't figure out why: I tried so hard yet I could not land a career job, women had no interest in me despite being someone who should be popular with the ladies at least on paper, still lived at home and overall was struggling in ways nobody else seemed to.

I never did get anything other than a psychologist's opinion that I was "very likely" on the Autism spectrum but the diagnosis was very expensive. After over 10 years of trying to land a better job, my wife has suggested I get "diagnosed with anything" because in the public sector that's my best chance of getting a better job. I might take that step to finally get the diagnosis of what I have am 100% sure I have.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 7:00 pm

The first time I heard of Asperger's syndrome, was about 2005 or 2006. There was a TV program about a British man with it. I was surprised that I could relate so much to him. That was the first time I heard of it, and I was startled by the similarities.

Not too long after that, I saw an article in a newspaper about ASDs. Aspergers was mentioned among them, and a fact box listed some traits (among them "fixation on parts of objects, for example keys").That strange trait and the word autism made me dismiss the idea. To me at the time, autism meant things like can't talk, completely in their own world, violent meltdowns and rocking; all things that had nothing to do with my life.

Autumn 2008 I had fun taking quizzes on an entertainment site. One that popped up was "Do you have Asperger Syndrome?" (Yes, it was misspelled). Just for fun I took it, but also curious about what questions it would ask, remembering the name from a few years earlier.
(I got a result saying something about having traits but not being good enough in school).

The quiz was just one of those entertaining quizzes that means nothing but I was intrigued by the real condition once more, and after thinking about it, I decided to research it. During that fall I started googling it and found out more.
The more I found, the more I thought it could actually be something to this.

I finally got to the point where I just had to know for sure. I needed to know.
That's what made me get assessed.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

plainjain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2017, 7:53 pm

Somebody (I won't say who) lied to me (again) and I made an appointment to see a marriage counselor.

Rather than supporting my position that people shouldn't lie to each other, the marriage counselor said that I probably was autistic, that was why I didn't like being lied to, and should get an evaluation.

After the fourth attempt at asking her to provide the name of someone who could administer the evaluation, she gave the name and number of someone who no longer works in the area, and then explained that she no longer would accept my insurance.

So I looked around online until I found a psychologist in my area who took my insurance, and was well respected enough to commonly testify in court. The evaluation took three days, and sort of to my surprise, confirmed autism spectrum disorder. (It would have been asperger's probably, but they had just changed it to ASD here in the U.S., so people could get assistance no matter where they fell on the spectrum. Not that I get any assistance . . .)

It's still a mystery to me why neuro-typical people "like" being lied to.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 8:09 pm

Between the ages of about 18-45, I had five or six recurrences of severe depression. The anxiety that underlay the depression was attributed to various things like social phobia, GAD, etc. over those years, but none of those diagnoses were ever confirmed. I had an inkling that there was something more, and was quite aware of my social and sensory difficulties, but had never made the connection between these and autism. Although I found it incredibly exhausting, I could "pass" well enough to get by as long as I had few enough comittments. But struggled with friendships and romance, which I mostly put down to having an unappealing personality (I refused to believe any of the people who assured me this was not so.)

On the last spin of the mental healthcare merry-go-round, I got lucky and was assigned a CBT counsellor who had previously worked with other autistic people, and she knew after only a couple of sessions what she was seeing. I was taken aback when she first made the suggestion, but as soon as I started lurking on forums like this one, I knew she was right. It took a few attempts to get a referral done, but that led to me being assessed and diagnosed (about two years ago now.)