Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 7:10 pm

you can fall in the trap of buying cards for badges or games to just increase your level to further increase your friends list capacity, there are some pretty insane high level people who either have nothing else to use their money on or are born into a rich family. and also theres the case of security which has been questionable in the past regarding account hijacks and vac bans which are permanent and they'll give no reason for it - unable to play multiplayer on certain games until opening a new account and buying them again.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 2:27 pm

Scorpius14 wrote:
you can fall in the trap of buying cards for badges or games to just increase your level to further increase your friends list capacity, there are some pretty insane high level people who either have nothing else to use their money on or are born into a rich family. and also theres the case of security which has been questionable in the past regarding account hijacks and vac bans which are permanent and they'll give no reason for it - unable to play multiplayer on certain games until opening a new account and buying them again.

If ANY of that happens to you, you honestly have only yourself to blame at this point.

Badges: They dont DO much of anything. They are just there. You can get some things to customize your profile with... that's about it. You dont use money to get badges. Even if you have a really small game collection,you're still probably going to have about 5 billionty trading cards (seriously, the things drop like candy), so the key to getting a badge you want is.... to trade the bloody things. If you BUY your way into badges, that's your own laziness speaking.

Account level: Does nothing of importance. I dont think anyone ACTUALLY focuses on this much. I'd take a guess and say that most users A: dont remember it exists, and even if they do, B: dont remember what it does. Nobody actually cares about this one.

For both of those two things.... just dont spend money on them! If you cant be responsible with your money, you shouldnt be on ANY online vendor service, period. That includes Steam, GoG, and all of the others. It also includes games with microtransactions. It's up to YOU, not anyone else, to be responsible about your purchases.

Security: This one is usual internet fare: If you want to be secure? Dont do stupid crap that ISNT secure, and keep your machine prepared. Always have a strong virus scanner on hand. Never open suspicious emails. Be suspicious of emails that might SEEM to be from the company involved (this isnt hard to check). Dont click suspicious links in emails or otherwise. Dont talk to suspicious individuals on Steam (and these guys arent exactly the brightest bulbs, so it's usually *really* easy to tell when a person is talking to you with the intent of scamming or hacking). And lastly.... use a REAL password. As in, one that looks like a jumbled mess. And is long. Change it every now and then to keep it fresh.

Bans: There is a way to keep from being banned: Dont make an ass of yourself. No, seriously, it's that bloody simple. You have to be acting like one heck of a total jerkwad snotball in order to even get the attention of moderators, let alone a hammering from an admin. Even I, as volatile as my temperament is, have never gotten even the slightest of attention from them.... and I'm on Steam's forums *constantly*. Yet when I do meet someone who has gotten some form of disciplinary action, a quick look at their recent activities is always enough to tell me WHY they got punished. I wouldnt be listening to too many stories of "false bans" if I were you. People have this bizarre tendancy to blame everything EXCEPT themselves whenever something goes wrong. It's ALWAYS the other guy's fault, yeah?

I've been using Steam for as long as it's been in existence, as has most people I know on there. None of us have ever run into... any of these things. Period.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 10:05 pm

Well I was being facetious. Who would've thought, a storefront is going to encourage you to spend your money. And I don't see how you could have a security problem with Steam. My Steam account has more security than my bank did up until a couple years ago.