Getting yelled at for things you didn't know you had to do

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 4:21 pm

EzraS wrote:
I think when someone is very experienced at a particular thing they expect you to have the same ingrained know how. It's like next time you'll know better. But they are expecting you to know ahead of time since they already know it.

Or maybe they know it's their fault they didn't instruct you properly but don't want to admit it and are shifting the blame onto you.

So in my opinion it's them, not you.

I had this problem at my work when I worked in a hotel. Because I had worked there long enough, the office clerk expected me to just know. I would ask questions to clarify I understood and he would get mad at me about it and tell me to use my common sense. I wad talling my mom about this issue I have and she said he was just an as*hole. Uh isn't that how lot of people are in general? :? That must be lot of as*holes then. :shrugs:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 4:43 pm

I am considered an expert at work because I am better than anyone else at figuring out what our valued customers are intending to say.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 10:48 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
This happens to me a lot particularly with people who don't know me well. Often people think I can't have been listening properly or paying attention to the things they say or I'm selfish because I don't realise there is a sub-text to what they're saying like 'I've got a lot to do today' often means 'can you do some things for me?'

Well that explains a few things... I always thought the hidden message was "stay out of my way today." Oops.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 2:16 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
This happens to me a lot particularly with people who don't know me well. Often people think I can't have been listening properly or paying attention to the things they say or I'm selfish because I don't realise there is a sub-text to what they're saying like 'I've got a lot to do today' often means 'can you do some things for me?'

Well that explains a few things... I always thought the hidden message was "stay out of my way today." Oops.

I think it can mean that too, it depends on a thing they call 'tone of voice' :? I am finding it a bit easier now that I know it exists. I now say to people 'that's what you said, but what did you mean'. I've only tried this so far with people I know well, so far so good. When I say things now, I sometimes point out that I mean what I say rather than I'm trying to imply something different :D this is working well.