I'm 24, but I feel like I am 10 sometimes

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 11:59 pm

I feel like an 8 to 9 year old boy most of the time. I may be 42 years old but I feel like a child through and through. As I mentioned in another post, I'm not even ashamed to say I still sleep with a teddy bear. His name is Bruno O'Bear and I love him very much. When I come home from work, I give him a great big hug and when I sleep I put my arm right around him and he makes me feel safe, happy and not
alone. Sometimes I start to cry happy tears when I do this. Just like a child because that's how I feel.

My emotional development appears stunted and unmoving and despite my greatest efforts I can't seem to change this. It feels locked and uncompromising and perhaps this is typical of all Autistics. I don't presume to speak for everyone on these forums and I apologize if I have offended anyone with the immediate above statement.

I would strongly recommend a teddy bear to sleep with for every ASD out there. Regardless of age.

:D

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

KiannaKitter
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Nov 2017, 6:41 pm

I am 34 and most of the time I feel like I'm still a kid. I don't think I will ever really grow up. But I like it that way :wink:

Stop wishing you looked like someone else or wishing people liked you as much as they like someone else. It's a waste of time.
Stop trying to get attention from those who hurt you. Stop hating your body, your face, your personality, your quirks - love them.
Without those things you wouldn't be you and why would you want to be someone else? Be confident with who you are. Smile.
And if anyone hates on you because you're happy with yourself then you stick your middle finger in the air and say "Screw it."

My happiness will not depend on others anymore. I'm happy because I love who I am.
I love my flaws, I love my imperfections, they make me ME - and me is pretty amazing.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 7:23 pm

Canadian Penguin wrote:
I feel as though I'm 30 years younger than I actually am. Except the body, that seems to be pretty much on target.

Exactly that!

The strangest for me is visiting some of my old university friends who I've known since my late teens. The realisation that their teenage children are now more mature and worldly-wise than me can be strangely unnerving sometimes.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 7:33 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
The realisation that their teenage children are now more mature and worldly-wise than me can be strangely unnerving sometimes.

Yep. A lot of teenagers make me feel that way :x

The worst thing about feeling like an overgrown kid is seeing people half your age achieving things that you still can't and then realising they're more mature than you'll ever be.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 11:53 pm

I think most people tend to actually like my quirks, but in such a way that it tends to make them feel a bit protective of me.

I think might be part of the reason that I often feel quite a bit younger than I actually am.

caffeinekid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2017, 6:59 am

I have a sonic the hedgehog duvet cover, and a large bedtime bear teddy shares my bed with me.

I don't feel grown up at all, even though I have two children.

Does anyone else find it easier to talk and relate to younger children socially, than with adults?

I used to spend lots more time with my daughter, but now she's 20 she is more confusing to me, and spending a lot of time with her makes me anxious and want to go home, but my 6 year old son seems a lot less complicated to be around.

Maybe children are less deceptive, and say what they think more, and what they actually want, without you having to guess and read between the lines. I know when he gives me a hug it doesn't have any ulterior motives, unless it's toys or sweets.

Maybe it's just me though. If I tried explaining this to "normal" people they might thing I'm a pervert or something, it's just that my son is just a lot easier to read. :?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 7:45 am

caffeinekid wrote:
I have a sonic the hedgehog duvet cover, and a large bedtime bear teddy shares my bed with me.

I don't feel grown up at all, even though I have two children.

Does anyone else find it easier to talk and relate to younger children socially, than with adults?

I used to spend lots more time with my daughter, but now she's 20 she is more confusing to me, and spending a lot of time with her makes me anxious and want to go home, but my 6 year old son seems a lot less complicated to be around.

Maybe children are less deceptive, and say what they think more, and what they actually want, without you having to guess and read between the lines. I know when he gives me a hug it doesn't have any ulterior motives, unless it's toys or sweets.

Maybe it's just me though. If I tried explaining this to "normal" people they might thing I'm a pervert or something, it's just that my son is just a lot easier to read. :?

No, definitely not just you. Little children are more direct, they tell you straight away when if they don't like some thing like a food or a program so you don't have to stress trying to work it out. I also think they don't tend to hold a grudge the way adults particularly women do.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 8:09 am

caffeinekid wrote:

Yes, very much so. I grew up around children (mom and grandma were babysitters) and get along great with them. When I told someone this, they reported me, saying they felt 'very uncomfortable' with me around children. What's ironic is that if I were female, the same person would probably have complimented me and told me what a great mother I would be. Luckily though most people think it's great how good I get along with kids and are amazed how kids are drawn to me like a magnet.

I have never understood why people say toddlers are so hard to deal with as adults are the ones I find give me a headache. They are very straightforward and have a iron will, something if adults had would mean a much better planet for us all rather than the mess we live in now. Children say some very intelligent things and are very genuine with their feelings. I've always said adults can learn a lot from both children and animals.

I just looked in the mirror this morning and realized I am in my mid 30s. I certainly don't feel that way in any way, shape or form a day over 25 just like in my mid 20s I felt like a teenager.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 8:15 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
caffeinekid wrote:
No. Children are like alien creatures to me. I can't talk to them because we have so little in common that there's rarely anything for us to talk about.

But I usually find it very easier to talk and relate to teenagers because effectively, I'm a 30 year old teenager.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 9:32 am

caffeinekid wrote:

Yes! It feels like kids are actually kind of drawn to me for some reason.

I still feel like I'm wearing a mask when with kids, but generally kids want to play games and things like that rather than making small talk.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 12:02 pm

Quote:
Little children are more direct

That made me grin. Pretty much all of my friend's children have at some point said directly to my face that they think I'm "strange", "weird" or something similar. Mostly it seems to have been when they were at some age around 5-10 years old. I always got the sense that they were not being judgemental or critical, just stating a fact that had no bearing whatsoever on whether they liked me or not. Pretty similar to my own social behaviour on the whole!

I'm definitely far more comfortable playing with the kids than chatting with the adults when there is a family gathering. My brother's kids all have very similar interests to the ones I had as a child too. When I get immersed in one of our Lego marathons, I half expect to look up and find myself back in my childhood bedroom, musing about the weird day-dream I just had about being a grown-up.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 12:48 pm

Canadian Penguin wrote:
I feel as though I'm 30 years younger than I actually am. Except the body, that seems to be pretty much on target.
Yep, for me too. My body is the only thing really that reminds me of my age.

Rarely I feel older, and strangely I often did as a kid.

I usually feel much younger than I am, 20-30 years younger than my 40 years depending on the day and mood.

Some of my tastes are more like that of a teen. When I reread old favorite books I am as into them as I was when I read them as a kid or teen. ATM I'm rereading The Famous Five series (I developed the wish to do so when I watched the movies earlier this year) and I'm as hooked by the stories and taken in by the ideas of all those exciting places, ruins, her own island, all the catacombs and passageways they encountered.

Most of the books I like are for teens. I can more easily relate to the characters there than in adult fiction, despite not being able to deal with kids at all.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 1:36 pm

^ You like them too? :)

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 2:03 pm

^ I wouldn't read, I could, I just wouldn't until I was seven. My sister had The Famous Five books and I think it was because they were for her age group not mine that I tried them. I really liked George, and I wanted an island and a dog. :D By the time I moved on from them, I was ready for Agatha Christie, which our house was full of.

I didn't know there was a film made.

billegge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2017, 12:27 am

A thought:

From Wikipedia

" In a number of parts of the nervous system, neurons and synapses are produced in excessive numbers during the early stages, and then the unneeded ones are pruned away".

Autism Link

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/22/heal ... gests.html

"Now a new study suggests that in children with autism, something in the process goes awry, leaving an oversupply of synapses in at least some parts of the brain."

This is talking about sensitivity, but I think that maybe the child in you was never pruned away. I feel like I am still 5 years old, not everyone feels like that but some people do.