I'm 24, but I feel like I am 10 sometimes

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ShaggyPlays
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2017, 5:52 am

I am not sure why I am this way, but sometimes especially when I am nervous or scared I feel like I revert to being 10 years old. The past couple days I have been feeling quite uncomfortable and a little scared from 3am to when the sun comes up. I am not sure what started this only that has really only been happening the past couple days and I have been a bit sick recently. Whenever I am sick, uncomfortable, or having a panic attack I tend to watch Peppa Pig and take my mind off how I am feeling. Every little thing I find wrong with me sets me off and it is highly frustrating. Whether it is a minor headache, or a little cough I tend to make it out to be worse than it really is. Of course then I go to my mother for support and although she helps I know it frustrates her that I am always so concerned or scared. Is there any coping mechanism for this I should be trying to avert my attention? I just hate feeling like a scared little boy and although I don't always feel like this, when I do it bothers me.

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Nov 2017, 6:48 am

I don't really have much in the way of advice but I'm 17 and sometimes I feel younger than 10 maybe 7. I think it's an ASD thing honestly.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 8:06 am

Sometimes I feel 10 other times I feel 100.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 8:30 am

I feel about 10 most of the time. I have a stuffed toy, he's a wild boar, he lives on my coffee table and sometimes as I go out I think how much nicer it would be if I could take him with me to stroke.

Every couple of years I have a symptom of something that makes me think I'm dying and I get really anxious, I just had one but the Dr rushed me and didn't find the lump and I had a sort of panic so my Mum drove me to a medical drop in centre and the nurse found the lump but it was not suspicious so I calmed down.

Now that I've thought it over I think I would have been better able to cope at a different time, it's as if all of my anxiety gets fixed onto one thing that I then see as a disaster so I am going to prioritise coping with my anxiety. I have just started reading a book called 'Making Friends With Anxiety'.

Pepper Pig is brill. :D

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2017, 8:59 am

I still do and prefer some things as if I were ten. Some things.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 9:35 am

I think that I am probably at least 4 or 5 years younger than I technically am. It's odd, but I have always felt that way. I feel right now like I am somewhere around 17-19 even though I will be 24 soon. I don't completely understand it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 11:02 am

I'm 56, and wished I acted like i was as much as 24.......

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 3:37 pm

I'm 43 and I have the mindset of a 21 year old Mod living in 1965.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 4:18 pm

I'm 28 and I feel 13-20.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 11:03 pm

Yeah, I'm immature too.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 12:29 am

Some days I feel like I am 30 and some days I feel like I am a toddler. It's all reaction based right down to it.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 7:44 am

I'm 22, yet I feel like 8-12... No matter what I do, act, prefer, choose, or everyone else would thought me as.

Even if I took responsibility and end up fulfilling it, something couldn't change... :|

Mind that I don't suffer to any form of anxiety nor any psychiatric issues/co-morbidity. So it's definitely ASD in terms of social and emotional maturity.

And, being 'scared' like a 'child' would is not really something to be ashamed of.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 11:10 am

I felt like I was 12 roughly 6 months ago when my dad told me he didn't want my boyfriend and I seeing each other anymore

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 6:36 pm

Being 26 and struggling and/or with deep apprehensions as to how training at a call center feels, I think to myself (without too much of a self-debating, self-critical, self-shaming, self-sabotaging dread-inducing cynicism which comes from someone who puts more effort than he trusts himself with and has assertion issues) how my 'default mode' is that of ~7 years old...maybe it's because the turbulent process which was schooling didn't wrap up until relatively recently but I feel that perhaps at least in terms of 'self-acceptance' influenced by confidence issues, I doubt that 'internally' I'm not much old than a pre-teen...someone was told me to ~'be what I had to be' when I was younger and what 'remains before me' as far as life goes might 'manifest that'.

:| I have issues with 'simplicity'.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2017, 11:19 pm

I feel as though I'm 30 years younger than I actually am. Except the body, that seems to be pretty much on target.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 11:59 pm

I feel like an 8 to 9 year old boy most of the time. I may be 42 years old but I feel like a child through and through. As I mentioned in another post, I'm not even ashamed to say I still sleep with a teddy bear. His name is Bruno O'Bear and I love him very much. When I come home from work, I give him a great big hug and when I sleep I put my arm right around him and he makes me feel safe, happy and not
alone. Sometimes I start to cry happy tears when I do this. Just like a child because that's how I feel.

My emotional development appears stunted and unmoving and despite my greatest efforts I can't seem to change this. It feels locked and uncompromising and perhaps this is typical of all Autistics. I don't presume to speak for everyone on these forums and I apologize if I have offended anyone with the immediate above statement.

I would strongly recommend a teddy bear to sleep with for every ASD out there. Regardless of age.

:D

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)