EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
/\I said nothing bad about Islam.Never once have.
If you read any of the links I posted you'd see that Jordanians are also upset about the whole deal.

I never said that you did. I said an Islamophobe could. A lot Jordanians are upset about it just like a lot of Americans are upset about over 2.7 million dogs and cats being put down. Some pet's have been killed in Jordan the same as some pets have been killed by animal control in America. But you seem to have a very ingrained code as to which animals it's okay to kill and under what circumstances it's okay to kill them.

I don't think most people who care about animals rights are Islamaphobic.That is usually a right wing republican,like our President.I would be just as upset about it if it was happening in a small town in Alaska and Christians were doing it.
No I do not have an "ingrained code" about which animal is ok to kill.It has to do the reason and how you put it down.I have put down sick wild animals before and helped butcher out game my family hunted.
I also understand that some islands have to irradicate all non native animals to protect endangered species,like the Galápagos Islands..Non native invasive species wreck havoc on ground nesting animals.Sad,it's not the animals fault but the humans that brought them there with no foresight.
It's the manner they are going about it.
You don't have to care.But I do.

It's not that I don't care. It's just that I tend to view things dispassionately. I'm not really capable of getting upset over things that I have absolutely no control over and that don't affect me directly.

So what would your immediate practical solution be to Jordan's infestation of wild potentially rabid dogs? Like if you were in charge and you had to take the swiftist most direct action requied to eliminate the infestation, what would it be?

How Greece manages theirs.Of course any sick or aggressive animal should be put down,that's reasonable.Just not shooting all the dogs,some are pets,some have done nothing wrong.

I'm afraid I'm not up on Greece's method of exterminating wild dogs. Did they have the same situation that's taking place in Jordan for it to apply?

They don't exterminate them,that's the point.

So then your answer is that you would do nothing. Because that's what Greece does, which is nothing at all. And they are overrun by vicious feral dogs.

Quote:
I have been living in Greece for the last 33 years and am well acquainted with the recent history of the dog situation in Athens and the rest of Greece.

As in most civilized countries, in Greece too, every municipality had a "dogpound" and a "dog catcher". And, as in most cities throughout the world,many domesticated dogs in Greece would one way or another gain their "freedom" from their owners. Either they would run away on their own, or they would be "let go" by irresponsible owners.

Whatever the case may have been, these stray dogs often would breed and have puppies and multiply accordingly. The dog catchers in Greece used to step in and round up as many strays as they could. The strays were held in the local municipal dog pounds for a period of no more than 90 days, and if no one claimed the dogs, they were typically then put to sleep.

This system kept the stray dog population down to a manageable level up until about 10 years ago. At about that time, a local animal rights activist group found out about a particular dog pound that kept their dogs in miserable and inhuman conditions. They visited the pound and filmed the scene. Then they took their evidence and presented it to the local District Attorney who in turn issued a warrant for the responsible mayor's arrest.That mayor was charged with the crime of "maltreatment of animals" which is a very serious offense in Greek law. He was convicted and sentenced to several months in prison along with a stiff monetary fine. As a result, almost every municipality in Greece dissolved their dog pounds and fired their dog catchers.

As you can understand, the paved the way for the stray dogs to multiply without restriction, and today they have become a serious problem. Many people, and especially children, have been attacked and mauled by gangs of wild dogs. But, no one takes responsibility. The local Humane Society has been making every effort it can to feed and take care of as many stray dogs as they can handle, but their numbers keep growing. They try to neuter as many of the dogs as they can, but they just can't seem to put even a small dent into the problem. Fortunately, rabies has been eliminated from Greece since the late 50's, but you never know what might happen with all these strays wandering throughout Greece.

http://www.greecetravel.com/mazarakis/w ... aydogs.htm

"Many people, and especially children, have been attacked and mauled by gangs of wild dogs. But, no one takes responsibility."

That's a pretty sh***y solution.

I should have been specific and said Athens.Evennthe tourists enjoy the animals.This plan seems to be working well.
https://www.cityofathens.gr/en/stray-animals-0
http://www.athensinfoguide.com/gencats.htm

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 10:56 am

Misslizard wrote:
jonny23 wrote:
I respect your feelings on the matter. I argue to much.

So do I. :D

:lol: Guess it comes with the territory.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 11:25 am

jonny23 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
jonny23 wrote:

Uh oh looks like we reached a truce :P

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 11:37 am

EzraS wrote:
jonny23 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
jonny23 wrote:

Uh oh looks like we reached a truce :P

Thanks for helping keep the thread bumped Ezra. :x
On a sad note the valiant Greek riot dog,Sausage has passed.He attended many riots,always on the side of the protestors.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... one-crisis

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 12:39 pm

Oh yeah this thread had been dead an entire 30 minutes before I bumped it. Oops I did it again.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 1:03 pm

Naughty boy. :D
Interesting that Islam forbids the mistreatment of animals.
http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/1 ... f-animals/