Fatal Shootings in and around California elementary school

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 1:49 pm

At least 3 dead in California school shooting, shooter killed by police

Quote:
The Tehama County Sheriff's Office says the shooting happened at an elementary school in Rancho Tehama around 8:00 am. local time. Rancho Tehama is about 115 miles north of the state capital of Sacramento.

A Corning Unified School district employee confirmed there were injuries at the school.

Police are investigating at least five crime scenes. At least 100 law enforcement officers have responded to the crime scenes. The children inside the school have been moved to a safe location.

A 6-year-old and another child are among the injured. The Redding Record Searchlight reports a 30-year-old man has also been taken to the hospital with gunshot wound to the thigh.

Rancho Tehama Elementary is reportedly now in lockdown. Local law enforcement have blocked off the road that leads to the school.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 14 Nov 2017, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 1:50 pm

Not again!! !

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 3:13 pm

At least 5 dead in apparent random shootings near California elementary school

Quote:
The shootings took place in seven locations, including an elementary school, police said

No deaths were reported at the school, according to Ann Bates, administrative assistant to the superintendent of the Corning Union Elementary School District.

Police said the shooter appeared to randomly pick his targets. The shooter had a semi-automatic rifle and two handguns, police said. Two officers engaged the shooter, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Authorities said a child and an adult woman were shot in a truck.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 3:41 pm

There needs to be a thorough investigation how these shooters acquire their weapons...that loophole needs to be closed
If it means the "average joe" has to go without their semi-automatic weapons then "boo hoo" at some point weapon mad America needs to (wake up) take public safety more seriously than the constitutional right to blow things up

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 9:31 pm

Must be a slow news day. Only five dead.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 9:35 pm

what's wrong with with californians? :?

-sincerely, a concerned californian

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 9:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
There needs to be a thorough investigation how these shooters acquire their weapons...that loophole needs to be closed
If it means the "average joe" has to go without their semi-automatic weapons then "boo hoo" at some point weapon mad America needs to (wake up) take public safety more seriously than the constitutional right to blow things up

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 9:56 pm

Well here we go again, people will talk about gun safety/regulations...some people will be offended and appalled at the very suggestion anything is done in regard to gun laws regarding shootings like this.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 2:17 am

Alleged gunman in Northern California rampage had history of violence

Quote:
TEHAMA COUNTY RESERVE, Calif. — A portrait of a violent and crazed man began to emerge late Tuesday, just hours after he allegedly killed four people and wounded 10 others in rural Tehama County before dying at the hands of police.

A tow truck removes a pickup with bullet holes in its side from Rancho Tehama on Tuesday. A shooter killed at least four people in a mass shooting in the Tehama County subdivision.

At least one person living near Kevin Janson Neal, 44, the man suspected of the mass killing, described the “hell” of having Neal as a neighbor and court documents reveal the alleged violent attack in January against a woman authorities said is one of the people killed in Tuesday’s rampage.

Tehama County Assistant Sheriff Phil Johnston said Neal earlier in the year stabbed the woman, whom he did not name.

Prosecutors allege Neal attacked her and robbed another woman in the Jan. 31 incident, according to court documents. A criminal complaint names both women, though authorities haven’t identified which one he killed during Tuesday’s rampage.

A Tehama County judged signed a protective order against Neal for both women and a felony criminal trial against Neal was set to begin next year.

Neal held both women against their will using violence, according to the complaint.

He also fired a gun — possibly an AR-15 Bushmaster rifle — during the attack, prosecutors allege.

The rifle was specifically called out as an illegal assault rifle in the criminal complaint against Neal, though it’s unknown whether the same weapon was used during Tuesday’s deadly shooting.

Certain unmodified AR-15s are illegal under California law.

Tuesday’s attacks began at Neal’s property, a collection of mobile homes scattered around a home about 15 miles southwest of Red Bluff. Google Earth images show numerous marijuana grows in the neighborhood.

“The crazy thing is that the neighbor has been shooting a lot of bullets lately, hundreds of rounds, large magazines,” Flint said. “We made it aware that this guy is crazy and he’s been threatening us.”

Living near the gunman was "hell," Flint said, adding the man often harassed him and his neighbors.

Kevin Neal's mother told The Associated Press in a phone interview Tuesday from her home in Raleigh, N.C., that her son was frustrated by constant feuding with his neighbors and told her, "I'm on a cliff and there's nowhere to go."

Neal's mother, who would only use her first name Anne, said her son had called her a day before the shootings and told her, "It's all over now."

She said she posted bail in January after Neal was charged with stabbing one of the neighbors.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 8:28 am

Why are these people not already in jail?!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 6:39 pm

California mass shooter killed wife, buried her beneath floor

Quote:
The gunman blamed for the deadly rampage in northern California began his killing spree by fatally shooting his wife and stashing her body beneath the floorboards of their home, police revealed Wednesday.

Johnston, who did not identify Neal's wife by name, said police believe she was killed on Monday.

"We are confident he murdered her, shot her ... literally put her body in the floor, covered it up," he said.

Neal, 44, had been out on bail after being charged with stabbing a neighbor when he went on a 45-minute shooting spree Tuesday in the rural community of Rancho Tehama Reserve, about 130 miles north of Sacramento.

All the dead were adults. But among the 10 injured were seven children, including four at the school that Neal targeted — and a 2-year-old who was wounded elsewhere, police said.

One child at the school was hit by gunfire and remains in critical condition, Johnston said. The rest were hurt by flying glass.

Asked about a possible motive, Johnston said, "I think he had a desire to kill as many people as he could."

Neal's sister, Sheridan Orr of Cary, North Carolina, described her brother as "an all-American kid" who had been grappling with mental illness and had a hair-trigger temper.

"It had continually deteriorated over, I would say, since October of last year," she told NBC News. "I loved him as my brother but I didn't recognize him. ... He seemed possessed or demonic."

Neal was armed with two handguns and "two semi-automatic rifles with multiround clips" that he had built himself, Johnston said.

"These firearms are manufactured illegally, we believe by him at his home," Johnston said. "So they were obtained in an illegal manner, not through a legal process. They're not registered."

Neal was "not prohibited from owning firearms," Johnston said.

Johnston also praised the staffers at Rancho Tehama Elementary School who rushed their young students into the building and locked down the school when they heard gunfire.

"It is monumental that that school went on lockdown," he said. "I really, truly believe that we would have had a horrific bloodbath in that school if that school hadn't taken the action when they did."

"You have to understand, this individual's going down the road picking targets," Johnston said. "He chased people with his vehicle, shooting at them."

Two of the people Neal wounded were a mother and her child.

The woman "did pull out her handgun" but was unable to use it because Neal had fired "about eight rounds into the side panel of her driver's door," Johnston said.

There, Johnston said, Neal drove through a gate and sprayed the school with bullets for six minutes. Once he realized he would not be able to get inside, he left the school grounds.

The rampage ended when police rammed Neal's car and killed him in the ensuing gun battle, Johnston said

Trump tweets condolences to wrong town after mass shooting
Quote:
Late Tuesday evening, President Trump tweeted condolences for a mass shooting to the incorrect town.
Mr. Trump's Twitter response, which has since been deleted from his account but is timestamped at 11:34 p.m. on November 14, mentioned another mass shooting at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, which occurred on November 5, killing 26 people and injuring 20 more.

"May God be with the people of Sutherland Springs, Texas. The FBI and Law Enforcement has arrived," Mr. Trump wrote in the tweet, offering thoughts and prayers to the wrong town.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 1:57 am

3 boys in Norway threatened school , they only had replica weapons police found out.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 3:49 pm

collectoritis wrote:
3 boys in Norway threatened school , they only had replica weapons police found out.

I guess they will be experiencing a "real" juvenile detention centre

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 4:47 pm

They were actually successful in locking him out of the school and preventing a major tragedy.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 6:35 am

cyberdad wrote:

I can do that investigation and solve it right now in one word. Illegally.

Also you do realize that if you take out automatic weapons all you have left are some shotguns and some rifles left right?