Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 1:53 pm

This video got posted 3 months ago, I don't know if the content is that recent although there's some suggestion that it is.

He hits on a lot of really interesting points regarding the frontal cortex, the amygdala, testosterone, oxytocin, the nature of warfare, PTSD, and as he often does the philosophies of criminal justice and the challenges that current science poses to older models of how our culture would want to look at ethics. The video has a 57 minute run-time and if I remember correctly the Q&A at the end was maybe 20 minutes of it.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 4:42 pm

I really love this man - even though I had read most of what he mentions before I watched his stanford lectures, ... I think the way he taught that course... not compressing it into abstract facts, but rather telling the longwinded story of how we come to know these things - or maybe just seeing a, what I guess could be called an "atomist", explaining in detail how your behaviour is made of molecules...

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 5:43 pm

He's definitely trying to pierce the veils on some areas of human cognition that I think have been left, perhaps deliberately, fuzzy for a long time.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 7:53 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNnIGh9 ... 949691B199

so here's a link to his stanford lectures series. yeah, it takes some watching, it's 20 or so lectures.
I wish more people would watch this.