Australia votes to legalise same-sex marriage

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 9:53 pm

the argument that only people who can reproduce should marry, is insane in todays' overpopulated world. we don't need a whole lot more people on this planet, to say the least. we need to take better care of what population we have rather than add further burden to an already overburdened planet.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 10:20 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the argument that only people who can reproduce should marry, is insane in todays' overpopulated world. we don't need a whole lot more people on this planet, to say the least. we need to take better care of what population we have rather than add further burden to an already overburdened planet.

Yes but the majority make the rules...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 10:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

that's what I call the tyranny of the majority.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 10:28 pm

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Unfortunately it's perceived as "manifest destiny"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 11:00 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

which is a more popular form of "the divine right of kings" [to do as they wish with anybody]. that is why henry ford famously dismissed history, as "bunk." [propaganda written by the victors].

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 11:02 pm

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

which is a more popular form of "the divine right of kings" [to do as they wish with anybody]. that is why henry ford famously dismissed history, as "bunk." [propaganda written by the victors].

Yes but history shapes our identity

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 11:15 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

for better or worse, back and forth in fact, human history is a tug-of-war between good and evil.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 11:36 pm

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

for better or worse, back and forth in fact, human history is a tug-of-war between good and evil.

Currently it's a tug of war between honesty/integrity/intelligence Vs stupidity/prejudice and ignorance

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 11:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Currently it's a tug of war between honesty/integrity/intelligence Vs stupidity/prejudice and ignorance

or between progressivity versus regressivity. going forwards towards better things or going backwards to the same old same old that wore out its welcome long ago.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 8:07 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Lintar wrote:
People who are opposed to the slow but persistent decline in moral standards are not "homophobic". What does that term even mean? A phobia is a fear of something. I voted NO, but I am not afraid of homosexuals.

I think you'll find the establishment is still on your side
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/you're ... zqe1o.html

My suspicion is plenty of "liberal minded" christians don't want their kids exposed to two men or women kissing each other as a married couple

This kind of reminds me of of the 1960s removal of racial segregation didn't end white racism

You're comparing this to the ending of racial segregation? :roll:

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2017, 8:13 pm

auntblabby wrote:

No, I never said that only people who plan to have children should marry. That was not my argument. I simply used the reproduction issue as an example of why marriage was, up to this point in time, exclusively between a man and woman (or in polygamous societies, between a man and many women, but we don't accept that where I live).

Yes, at this moment in time, the Earth appears to be rather overcrowded, but you would be surprised at how fast populations can crash. It can happen within a single generation, and that is one of the main reasons why so many governments within the demographically declining Western world have immigration programmes.