I feel stuck in the environment I live in...

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 10:45 pm

I hate where I live! I live in a apartment (which I always hated.), that would be fine if it wasn't also right next to a very busy street! So every time I have to go somewhere I have to walk on said busy street. I hate the sound of traffic but have no way of dodging it.(Not to mention emergency vehicles are on the road often with their sirens on.)

I feel like I could do more with myself(go more places or maybe get a job.) but the environment is stopping me from doing it.(well I guess sensory issues would be stopping me.)
And to top it all off, a dog that lives under my apartment barks constantly and that just ruins my day.(Barking disturbs me greatly.)

I just needed somewhere to vent. I do wish there was something I could do though.

I did try headphones but stupid dog ruins my day and they also make my head hotter. (Fall feels like summer in Houston.)

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 5:58 am

Sorry you have to deal with all that. I don't have any great advice. I would have a similar response, but have usually lived in small towns. Any chance you can move somewhere smaller and quieter?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 10:20 am

The only good thing about urban areas is the availability of public transportation. A car is not an absolute requirement in at least some urban areas.

I've lived in a urban area all my life; I absolute "pine for the pines" LOL

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 11:15 am

HighLlama wrote:
Sorry you have to deal with all that. I don't have any great advice. I would have a similar response, but have usually lived in small towns. Any chance you can move somewhere smaller and quieter?

I'm on SSI so moving to another area is pretty much not an option. I could stay with my sister, she lives in a quiet area but then I wouldn't have access to anything because I can't drive. The closest convenient store is like a 20 minute walk.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 11:19 am

AquaineBay wrote:
HighLlama wrote:

I'm on SSI so moving to another area is pretty much not an option. I could stay with my sister, she lives in a quiet area but then I wouldn't have access to anything because I can't drive. The closest convenient store is like a 20 minute walk.

We're all different people.
Now if it were me, I would love moving in with a sister in a quiet area.
Your apartment sounds similar in some ways to mine ...
and my best friend lived near Houston,
and dearly wished she could move back up North
so yeah, I can understand what you're going through.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 11:36 am

the_phoenix wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
HighLlama wrote:

We're all different people.
Now if it were me, I would love moving in with a sister in a quiet area.
Your apartment sounds similar in some ways to mine ...
and my best friend lived near Houston,
and dearly wished she could move back up North
so yeah, I can understand what you're going through.

I'm glad someone else knows the experience. I always think that I'm just whining and no one else ever goes through that.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 11:39 am

By the way thanks for the support, I forgot to tell all of you that. I have always been bad at remembering to say thank you to people.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 11:45 am

I also know how much trouble and discomfort sensory issues can cause. Living in a college dorm was pretty similar to that for me. I also am not helped by noise-cancelling headphones - it makes me very anxious if I can't hear what's going on around me because I depend on hearing the way most people depend on sight. I hope your situation can improve in some way soon, I know it's very frustrating to be held back by one thing like that. Big dragon hugs :heart:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 11:48 am

When I first moved to Connecticut I had a 20 minute walk from my apartment to work. It was a full time job, five days a week. It was good exercise and an opportunity to relax from the stresses of work. During the winter I would see stars like Castor and Pollux on my way home. I learned the route so well that I didn't worry about getting lost in a blizzard. But, I grew up in a small town that rarely had bus service for adults.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 12:07 pm

BTDT wrote:
When I first moved to Connecticut I had a 20 minute walk from my apartment to work. It was a full time job, five days a week. It was good exercise and an opportunity to relax from the stresses of work. During the winter I would see stars like Castor and Pollux on my way home. I learned the route so well that I didn't worry about getting lost in a blizzard. But, I grew up in a small town that rarely had bus service for adults.

That sounds cool ... 8)

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 12:27 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I also know how much trouble and discomfort sensory issues can cause. Living in a college dorm was pretty similar to that for me. I also am not helped by noise-cancelling headphones - it makes me very anxious if I can't hear what's going on around me because I depend on hearing the way most people depend on sight. I hope your situation can improve in some way soon, I know it's very frustrating to be held back by one thing like that. Big dragon hugs :heart:

Thank you I could use a dragon hug! I like to hear everything in my surroundings as well and also get anxious if I don't.(While walking, at home I hate it.)