i, for 1, am softly envious of the Finns & their good things

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

anybody else here think we could learn something from the Finns?
I surely do. :| 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
we could learn something from them. :idea: 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
nah, we know it all and nobody else can teach us anything :x 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am not sure. :shrug: 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
where's my ice cream? :chef: 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 13

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 9:25 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
...Mentioning Finland makes me think of an illustration in a children's history book of Finns ski-ing around in a forest to illustrate Finn partisans fighting back against Nazi Germany, I think it was. That's like this is one of those " What is the first thing you think of when I say ____" threads! :D

Actually, the Finns were famous for fighting the Soviets. Because the Finns had viewed the Germans as liberators after the Soviets were pushed out of their country, Finland became the only democracy in the Axis Powers.

Finland is also one of 2 or 3 countries where most of their Jewish population survived the Holocaust.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 9:44 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
...Mentioning Finland makes me think of an illustration in a children's history book of Finns ski-ing around in a forest to illustrate Finn partisans fighting back against Nazi Germany, I think it was. That's like this is one of those " What is the first thing you think of when I say ____" threads! :D

Actually, the Finns were famous for fighting the Soviets. Because the Finns had viewed the Germans as liberators after the Soviets were pushed out of their country, Finland became the only democracy in the Axis Powers.

Finland is also one of 2 or 3 countries where most of their Jewish population survived the Holocaust.

I would imagine that it was the Finn's status as an Axis Power, and not as an occupied state, that allowed them to shield their Jews from Hitler and Himmler.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 3:51 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ASS-P wrote:

I would imagine that it was the Finn's status as an Axis Power, and not as an occupied state, that allowed them to shield their Jews from Hitler and Himmler.

Okay, that's what it was. It's hard to remember, decades later. I seem to recall that Finland, was, post-WWI but pre-WWII, famous for paying off its war debts. What were the other Euro. countries that saved much of their Jewish population from Shoah?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 6:16 am

The_Walrus wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Weird ... Finish people get mortgage loans for apartments ....

... so do Americans?

It would be weirder if they didn't get mortgages.

In America, you rent apartments, you don't get a mortgage on one.

Mostly, Americans are too wealthy to mortgage their future for tiny spaces.

It's even worse ... "In Finland, when you "buy an apartment" what you are usually actually buying are shares in a housing company (asunto-osakeyhtiö) - more commonly known in English as a housing cooperative. The amount of shares per apartment is proportional to the size of the apartment" ....
https://www.expat-finland.com/housing/h ... ities.html

So you're getting a mortgage on something you don't even own. So, you lose many individual homeowner rights in the "cooperative".

If this article wanted to impress Americans, tell us how someone can get a 5000 square foot "Big Foot" house at 2% mortgage interest.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 7:02 pm

ASS-P wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ASS-P wrote:

Okay, that's what it was. It's hard to remember, decades later. I seem to recall that Finland, was, post-WWI but pre-WWII, famous for paying off its war debts. What were the other Euro. countries that saved much of their Jewish population from Shoah?

Denmark and Norway, though both occupied by the Nazis, had saved much of their Jewish populations, while Sweden, which outwardly practiced neutrality, had also rescued a large number of Jewish refugees.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 8:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ASS-P wrote:

Denmark and Norway, though both occupied by the Nazis, had saved much of their Jewish populations, while Sweden, which outwardly practiced neutrality, had also rescued a large number of Jewish refugees.

...Thank you.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 9:55 pm

ASS-P wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ASS-P wrote:

...Thank you.

Any time. 8)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 5:28 am

Most of Bulgaria's survived as well. Albania didn't lose any, due to the Jewish population (never really big) being able to assimilate into the general community.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Phrygian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2017, 6:38 pm

You can't drink tap water in the us?!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 10:09 pm

Phrygian wrote:

at least in my little area, the tap water tastes mealy, so I must filter it. I made the mistake once of putting a jar of it in the fridge, the next time I looked at it, it developed a layer of translucent slime on it. :eew:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2017, 10:53 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Phrygian wrote:

at least in my little area, the tap water tastes mealy, so I must filter it. I made the mistake once of putting a jar of it in the fridge, the next time I looked at it, it developed a layer of translucent slime on it. :eew:

:eew: sounds right!