Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 9:49 am

Do any of you guys use anime as an escape from reality?

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on November 15, 2017)

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 9:06 pm

It was my escape from reality throughout high school.
I would imagine myself in Anime scenarios all the time. My daydream was essentially one long AMV with me in it.

But you know, those were the musings of a daydreaming high schooler when he hadn't had a grasp on his Autism.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 6:10 pm

Anything can be seen as an escape from reality - even working or cleaning - when done too much and with such intentions. And it isn't even a bad thing - as long as it is helping you cope instead of causing even more problems.

I did escape into anime world a few times, during episodes of depression - and it cured me. And not just anime - I was also into books and cartoons at different points of my life. I dare to say escaping into fantasy world saved my life back in middle school, when I was bullied on a daily basis and planned suicide.

However while anime is my major interest (I can't sleep until I watch at least 1 episode a day) I consider it a normal hobby and a part of my daily routine, not an escape from reality. "Problem" starts when my mood or health decreases - anime turns into an escape from reality then, till I recover. I tend to choose anime that has a chance increasing my mood when I am feeling depressed though so I prefer to call it a medicine, not an escape from reality. 8)