Target no longer listing toys as being for boys or girls.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 6:42 am

NewTime wrote:
Just last year, Target no longer listed specific toys as being for boys or girls. I wonder if McDonald's will eventually do the same thing. Instead of asking "For a boy or a girl?" when a parent orders a happy meal they'll ask for example "Hotwheels or Barbie?".
That's a very good thing. Let the kids play with the toys that appeal to them.
I was a girl who would most definitely have picked the Hotwheels. Toy cars and plushies were my favorites.

We went to Legoland when I was a kid, and we visited the Wild West part of it where we could get dressed up in era type clothes. I drooled after cowboy shirts and boots which I thought (and think) are cool, but the biatch that brought us clothes paid no attention to my protests and I was put in godawful dress which I hated. I didn't (and don't) wear that kind of clothes. We were photographed there by staff and I have the most sour expression on my face. I looked every bit as "happy" as I was.
That was obviously about clothes and not toys, but it's part of the same argument. Backwards BS!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 2:51 pm

Well I did love Thomas the Tank as a small child and got all the trains to play with. But in the 90s it seemed more 'normal' for a girl to play with boyish toys than boys to play with girlish toys. But also I had a brother who loved Thomas the Tank too, so I think I caught the craze from him. He sometimes used to play with my Barbie dolls, but only if I was playing with them too.
But when your kids are both sexes, there is a high chance they will play with each other's toys. If I had one or more sons and no daughters, I wouldn't go out and buy them a pink paddling-pool with My Little Ponies on it. And vice-versa.

I bet in the future, though, it will become acceptable for men in the UK to wear pink dresses, but women will always be ridiculed if we don't shave our legs. :roll:

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 3:21 pm

Quote:
women will always be ridiculed if we don't shave our legs.

Another 20th Century invention. Every female character you see in those Victorian costume dramas should have hairy legs to be historically accurate, even the posh ones (Queen Victoria included.) It was pretty much single-handedly the invention of Gillette, purely to open up a new market for their products. Scary how ingrained something like that can get in just a few generations.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Nov 2017, 5:26 am

Joe90 wrote:
It's all political correctness. The way it's going, I can see a future where gender will only be used to make babies. I can see a future of boys wearing pink dresses. Call me old-fashioned but I am against all this.

Just another thought: when a 17th century man was wearing frills and makeup, he wasn't feminine. He was just showing off what he could afford. So probably if future men wear pink dresses it wouldn't be seen as queer, like today women in trousers are normal.

I wouldn't mind if future men interested in cooking or hairdressing or makeup or kintergarden-age kids wouldn't need to choose between their gender identities and interests.
The same for female car mechanics.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 5:36 am

My son (3) is obsessed with baby dolls, there's one with a stroller he loves to push around, and calls it his sister. I'm not threatened at all, it's a great sign of how it will go if and when he becomes an older brother or a dad! He's also obsessed with the color pink, probably because he's rarely offered it. Besides that, he shakes things up in a nice way, for him ovens (real and toy) make the perfect parking garages for his toy cars. ;)

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 11:03 am

Shakti wrote:
My son (3) is obsessed with baby dolls, there's one with a stroller he loves to push around, and calls it his sister. I'm not threatened at all, it's a great sign of how it will go if and when he becomes an older brother or a dad! He's also obsessed with the color pink, probably because he's rarely offered it. Besides that, he shakes things up in a nice way, for him ovens (real and toy) make the perfect parking garages for his toy cars. ;)

It's important however that those real ovens don't get turned on when the toy cars are inside.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 12:28 pm

Toys are for kids whatever they like.
I was also a hot wheels/matchbox/tonka collector,played with toy cars and rode bikes more than dolls.Dolls were dull,digging in the dirt,awesome.We used to get cheap plastic toy cars and trucks and tie strings to them and play crash up derby.Sometimes the plastic holding the axel broke,we solved that.With my friend's dad's soldering iron.I don't think the dad knew we borrowed it.It was glorious.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 1:19 pm

NewTime wrote:
It's important however that those real ovens don't get turned on when the toy cars are inside.

That happened once. Lesson learned.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Nov 2017, 10:45 pm

The main issue I would have with boys playing with dolls is to be careful that the dolls don't talk because most boys would not want to be called mommy

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition