Just got a job that I am not qualified for

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 7:48 pm

I would not have fired you.....good grief. You are a very nice person.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2017, 8:51 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
I would not have fired you.....good grief. You are a very nice person.

Thank you! :D I often feel like I am being super friendly but then I am later told that I come of as callous and apathetic. As a former victim of atrocious bullying (2nd grade to 9th), I bear no ill will to anyone. I am NEVER intentionally rude, even though I appear to be. I can honestly say I have never seen an ugly person in my entire life because I just don’t think negatively about people. This is partially because I know how it is to worry wether or not the person your talking to is thinking “my god she is so ugly and ugh her voice is so annoying. Ew look at her hair what is she homeless”. I also have prosopagnosia (face blindness) so everyone pretty much looks the same to me. I think I was already a nice person before bullying because instead of bearing animosity toward my bullies, I was just scared of people and felt horrible about myself. If I ever came across them again in my life, instead of being mean or spiteful, I would avoid them out of fear. I know what I would do because I have done it.

Because of all these things, I also have never participated in gossip 1. because I couldn’t say anything negative about an individual and 2. because I know I am the subject of much gossip and it is not a good feeling.

I bet you are a very nice person too Historygirl! :D I am sure if you ran into me IRL then you probably wouldn’t think I was a nice person until you talked to me for a while :lol:

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

justRob
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2017, 8:32 pm

Sorry about what happened. I worked as a dishwasher in high school for 3 years, I actually found it to be pretty engaging work. It's like a big puzzle for optimizing flow and productivity between running the machines, manning the sink, and running the clean stuff back. It can be very stressful sometimes but FAR better than waitstaff for anyone who isn't a natural at small talk (I was recruited to cover some waitstaff shifts, but only for a short time, I was obviously not cut out for it... what a relief).

I know they didn't have a spot for you, but if you need to earn $1000, it could be something to look into in other places. As you say, it is very different from home dish washing skills, but as an entry level job, they'll teach you. And it's a killer place to learn social skills, as you have to interact with all the different types of people you'll find in a restaurant - chefs, line cooks, waitstaff, dish room folks, owners. All different walks of life, and many different ethnicities and cultures, many of whom don't fit in well in this society (like aspies :D ).

Whatever you do, don't let this get you down! Waiting tables is a tough job no matter what and it is god awful for those of us who struggle to connect with strangers in forced 20-second interactions... The fact that you had the courage to take this opportunity and give it your best shot tells me that you will achieve great things!

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2017, 10:25 pm

Thank You justRob! I am staying away from any hospitality type employment partially of my own choice (my parents like to run my life and anytime I mess up they treat me like I can’t be independent on any level). I plan on applying to get a job as a stocker for a hobby lobby that just got put up in my town. One, it is the only job my parents will allow me to apply for at their current state of “we don’t want you working” with the insinuation of “you aren’t capable of functioning in the world so instead of risking you proving us wrong, we are just gonna keep you on a tight leash and make you feel incapable”. Two, I am more likely to get a job at a place that actually needs employees instead of a place that might not even be looking for employees. Three, many of my special interests leave me more knowledgeable about half their store than possibly the manager, they are tied with Home Depot as my favorite store. They are having a 4 day hiring event starting 12/4 and if I don’t get hired there, I will fall back to something I like to do, tutoring. My mom suggested I put up a flyer at our library’s bulletin board and my reaction was “of course! Why didn’t I think of that the first time I tried tutoring!”. I love tutoring, especially math and I am very good at it. So if I do not get the hobby lobby job, it won’t be disappointing.

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

justRob
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2017, 12:53 pm

Love it, those sound like great opportunities! You got this :-)

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2017, 3:25 pm

justRob wrote:
Love it, those sound like great opportunities! You got this :-)

Sure hope so :)

Cat23
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2017, 10:32 pm

ScarletIbis wrote:
Thank You justRob! I am staying away from any hospitality type employment partially of my own choice (my parents like to run my life and anytime I mess up they treat me like I can’t be independent on any level). I plan on applying to get a job as a stocker for a hobby lobby that just got put up in my town. One, it is the only job my parents will allow me to apply for at their current state of “we don’t want you working” with the insinuation of “you aren’t capable of functioning in the world so instead of risking you proving us wrong, we are just gonna keep you on a tight leash and make you feel incapable”. Two, I am more likely to get a job at a place that actually needs employees instead of a place that might not even be looking for employees. Three, many of my special interests leave me more knowledgeable about half their store than possibly the manager, they are tied with Home Depot as my favorite store. They are having a 4 day hiring event starting 12/4 and if I don’t get hired there, I will fall back to something I like to do, tutoring. My mom suggested I put up a flyer at our library’s bulletin board and my reaction was “of course! Why didn’t I think of that the first time I tried tutoring!”. I love tutoring, especially math and I am very good at it. So if I do not get the hobby lobby job, it won’t be disappointing.

If the hiring doesn’t work out u could potentially sort canned goods for food hampers at this time of year .... I actually love it (this is when u know u have a bit of a boring life :lol:) I just tell them all at the beginning of the shift that I like to pretend I’m a robot and it’s perfect for me cause I’m bad with ppl they will laugh then for the rest of the shift u can be as weird as u please and they’ll still be super nice to u! Especially if u make a beep beep noise while walking backwards with a box... It’s wonderful and I don’t have to stress about fitting. If they talk to me I just ask them about themselves they can talk for hrs it’s great zero effort on my part plus get a dopamine hit and u would get experience on ur resume! Win win win.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2017, 12:37 am

Nice suggestion Cat23, I didn’t know anything about that. I used to think I would be more likely to get a job at a ‘just opening’ place than a ‘we’ve been here a while and have no need for new employees’ place. However, After the hiring event started yesterday, my aunt and cousin noticed as they drove by that the line of people waiting to apply was backed all the way out into the parking lot, the people themselves not people in cars. After, they told me, I asked if they thought it would get better since almost everybody looking to apply would have already done it by Wednesday. She said “noooo it’s going to be like that every time, every unemployed person in ‘town name’ is going to be trying to get a job there, which is a lot”. So now that I realized my competition is very stiff. I already don’t stand out as good employee material, and I am probably literally 1 in 1,000. There are many people who would catch an employer’s attention before me. In the likely case that I do not get this job, I will still be excited to tutor.

Edit: Cat23, I just realized you live in Australia so a possible reason that I had never heard of canned goods food hampers, is likely because that isn’t a thing here in the southern USA. I am sure we have something similar but probably not quite the same.

Cat23
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2017, 12:56 am

ScarletIbis wrote:
Nice suggestion Cat23, I didn’t know anything about that. I used to think I would be more likely to get a job at a ‘just opening’ place than a ‘we’ve been here a while and have no need for new employees’ place. However, After the hiring event started yesterday, my aunt and cousin noticed as they drove by that the line of people waiting to apply was backed all the way out into the parking lot, the people themselves not people in cars. After, they told me, I asked if they thought it would get better since almost everybody looking to apply would have already done it by Wednesday. She said “noooo it’s going to be like that every time, every unemployed person in ‘town name’ is going to be trying to get a job there, which is a lot”. So now that I realized my competition is very stiff. I already don’t stand out as good employee material, and I am probably literally 1 in 1,000. There are many people who would catch an employer’s attention before me. In the likely case that I do not get this job, I will still be excited to tutor.

Edit: Cat23, I just realized you live in Australia so a possible reason that I had never heard of canned goods food hampers, is likely because that isn’t a thing here in the southern USA. I am sure we have something similar but probably not quite the same.

Surely u do, don’t they make up food and toy hampers there for the low income earners? Don’t they have food banks there? What happens to the hungry ppl?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 1:03 am

ScarletIbis wrote:
Even if my ‘reason for leaving this job’ response isn’t the greatest, I will still look better to an employer than ‘17 and never had a job’.

Is 17 really that old to have never had a job? I didn't get my first job until I was 22 lol

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2017, 1:22 am

No I met that it makes me look very young and inexperienced instead of just young. It is harder to get a job when you are young.

Cat23
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2017, 2:36 am

ScarletIbis wrote:

It sounds really scary there.

Any chance u want to write a short article for the local paper on the line at the store? We’re so spoilt here I’ve never seen a line up for jobs since the gfc.

Cat23
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2017, 4:45 am

Also u could offer to wrap presents for ppl as a job for a few weeks.... lots of ppl would love this chore taken off their hands...

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Dec 2017, 5:51 am

Cat23 wrote:
ScarletIbis wrote:

Surely u do, don’t they make up food and toy hampers there for the low income earners? Don’t they have food banks there? What happens to the hungry ppl?
In the area I'm from lots of people volunteer at food banks to do community service hours. Some are kids doing it for skewl(I volunteered there for my 1st 3 years of high-skewl) & others are people who've been arrested like for DUIs. We would spend half the time waiting around with nothing to do.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Cat23
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2017, 6:20 am

nick007 wrote:
Cat23 wrote:
ScarletIbis wrote:

In the area I'm from lots of people volunteer at food banks to do community service hours. Some are kids doing it for skewl(I volunteered there for my 1st 3 years of high-skewl) & others are people who've been arrested like for DUIs. We would spend half the time waiting around with nothing to do.

Oooh that’s interesting that u guys had to wait around they barely spend 30secs running through the workplace safety stuff with us and throw us in and we definitely don’t have enough ppl helping.

Being Australian we aren’t big on punishment u would have to try pretty hard to get community service here and it’s extremely unlikely to end up in jail and even if u do u will probably get released pretty quick. Even for serious crime ppl get out in a handful of years and commit similar crimes again so crazy.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2017, 10:33 am

There are plenty of places for hungry people to get food, I just meant I didn’t know of any state sanctioned food type things. Where I am from, mos of the churches will have ‘food closets’ which is like a food bank I guess. I know one church has it open every Thursday, and each individual household can get one box every month. The content of the boxes depend on their situation and number of people in the household. Each of the church run ones are held together by church members who volunteer. Our local Walmart will donate certain foods to put in the boxes. There are also food stamps for very low income people and a few other things. The churches also have a ‘clothes closet’ which is stocked with donated clothes, that are free for anyone to take. The church that I’ve volunteered at, only 1 coat allowed per person per season. These programs vary from church to church but most have them. The food stamp thing is a little unfamiliar to me but you can look it up if feel like it. It is also relatively easy to keep food in your stomach without these programs, according to some homeless people that my mom has come across. Handouts are common I guess.