Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 8:32 pm

Firefox "Quantum" a major rebuild is an attempt to be actually relevant as the they were 15 years ago. New look and claims of double the speed.

Preliminary impressions:
It is very zippy, I have to give them that. The "new" tabs are very similar to the early versions of the browser. The best feature of the last version was its sharper fonts then other browsers. It has lost a lot of that, and is very damm bright.

The worst part of Firefox since the get go has been add-ons not playing well. Deal breaker for me was a Grammarly bug where the red line indicating an error was nowhere near the error. This has not been fixed

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 6:57 pm

It's fast. I haven't run into an add-on issue (yet) in the new version, though as you say, that was an issue before. It would be surprising if they hadn't improved it?

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 4:04 am

Stable as a rock for me so far. Haven't noticed any changes in performance yet but run a machine with 16GB of RAM so had no issues with the older versions either.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2017, 6:50 am

As someone who normally uses Chrome, I've tried it. Definitely faster than Firefox used to be but nothing to write home about, I'm afraid. I found a lot of the plugins I installed on it stopped working as well.
I'd much rather have a slower Internet with all ads and malicious scripts blocked, than a faster, but less secure experience.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 1:48 pm

About the plugins: They should work closed with plugin developers and let them do testing early and have a working version available quickly, i do not like the idea to be unprotected against malicious javascript and be drowned with ads, even for a day.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 3:14 pm

For me for some reason pages seem to be loading slower.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Dec 2017, 4:13 am

I find the tabs look kind of clunky which isn't a big deal to me but I also notice that it's brighter which is alittle hard on my eyes. I thought about trying to DL the last version before this update & setting it not to upgrade but there were other priorities with life & on my comp & I wanted to see if I would get used to the screen brightness. I have gotten used to it some.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2017, 5:11 am

nick007 wrote:
I find the tabs look kind of clunky which isn't a big deal to me but I also notice that it's brighter which is alittle hard on my eyes. I thought about trying to DL the last version before this update & setting it not to upgrade but there were other priorities with life & on my comp & I wanted to see if I would get used to the screen brightness. I have gotten used to it some.

You probably have the light theme enabled. If you type about:addons in the address bar, then go to themes, you will have the choice of three themes: Light, Dark and Default, or you have the option to download a theme of your choice.

Or if you require a specific theme just for wrongplanet.net you can install the addon Stylish
once installed go Here and install the Wrongplanet theme of your choice.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 1:33 pm

Question about "dark themes"......All of the versions I've tried, end up with the "Search" window being so dark that I can't read what I'm typing.

No doubt many have encountered this problem, I've tried to find a discussion of the problem, but I don't even know what to call it AND I can't find a solution or a version without this flaw.

Any guidance would be appreciated....ty.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 1:43 pm

No like. The landing page is full of junk. They killed the two add-ons that I relied upon like air and light: ReminderFox and the toggle-gif deactivator for animations. I have an HP ProBook, business model, as a retirement gift, has all the speed I needed. Noticed no improvement there at all.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!