Does anyone else get "mixed obsessions"?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2017, 8:33 pm

I have some ASD and OCD traits. I also have some pretty intense obsessions. I've heard that ASD obsessions are pleasant, while OCD obsessions are unpleasant and involve compulsions. It seems like most of my obsessions are a mix of those. Like I enjoy optometry as a topic a lot. But I also have the OCD obsession with having the right prescription. So I might compulsively check my vision to make sure everything is right. Similar thing with music. I love music. But I get OCD related obsessions with it as well. Like I can't play certain music in public and I worry about my earbuds leaking.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 9:32 pm

Well, I have obsessions with people, which are both pleasant and unpleasant. I enjoy thinking about the person and feeling affection for them and making up stories about them, but it also causes me a lot of anxiety because I worry about what they're going to say or what's going to happen with them.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 10:29 pm

I don't have OCD (to the best of my knowledge, anyway), but I sometimes get obsessed with things I don't actually like. For example, I don't particularly enjoy the band Slayer, but for a week or so, I felt compelled to listen to their music anyway. There have also been a couple movies that I never want to actually see, but I felt compelled to find out everything I could about them.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2017, 3:18 am

Also don't have OCD as far as I know, but my interests can be good and bad.
I have obsessed over a few people, which is great if I'm in a relationship with them, because I don't get tired of them and don't mind not getting enough alone-time and all that. But the one where my love was unrequited, I still can't let that person go, eight years later. But I think that's more an exaggerated attachment than an interest.

I have this puzzle-thing that I play a lot, and that can be a nuisance, because I can't pull myself out of it, even though I'm fighting an inner battle to let it go and start doing all the stuff I'm supposed to. So that's an interest that can cause more frustration than anything else. Whenever I pick it up, the inner dialogue goes "Yes! This is awesome! Nononoo not this again!! YEs!! No!"