Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Nov 2017, 2:15 am

Especially early hours in the morning

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2017, 2:48 am

I can't help starting a discussion with them. Hey, if you come to my house to share your opinions, you're gonna listen to mine!
Although, I don't get this problem anymore as I live in a caravan now. Great solution if you don't like house-guests.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 3:14 am

I have worked as a truck driver and still had Jehovah Witnesses knock on my door.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 9:28 am

Quote:
I can't help starting a discussion with them

If I actually answer the door (rare if I don't know who it is), then I'm the same; the vacuousness of their arguments sucks me in like a black-hole. Letting them in the first time they come is actually quite useful in a way - they don't usually come back once they know what they'd be letting themselves in for! :twisted:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 10:18 am

Just don't answer the door.....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 11:33 am

My family just leaves them with me. After me not looking at them or saying anything long enough they give up and leave :P

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2017, 5:20 pm

EzraS wrote:
My family just leaves them with me. After me not looking at them or saying anything long enough they give up and leave :P

Ha! I think I'd enjoy watching that scenario.
But I'm a little sceptical about you family's way of handling it. Unless you think it's fun too, isn't it a bit mean to just leave you there, with some of the weirdest people in town? I mean, who knows what crazy business they might be up to! Doesn't anyone worry about them trying an exorcism on you or something?

You should not leave your loved ones unattended during a Jehovah's witnesses-visit!

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 6:08 pm

Bring 'em on! 8)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 3:14 am

If this ever happens again I've got a lovely red and gold hardbound copy of Book of the Law. I'd be more than happy to tell them about the naked azure splendor of Nuit or the globe and winged serpent Hadit. If they stick around a long enough they can even help me and Ra Hoor Khuit dung my island with the enginery of war!

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 12:52 pm

Embla wrote:
I can't help starting a discussion with them. Hey, if you come to my house to share your opinions, you're gonna listen to mine!

This ^

They tend not to come back. :lol:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 7:32 pm

Embla wrote:
EzraS wrote:

But I'm a little sceptical about you family's way of handling it. Unless you think it's fun too, isn't it a bit mean to just leave you there, with some of the weirdest people in town? I mean, who knows what crazy business they might be up to! Doesn't anyone worry about them trying an exorcism on you or something?

You should not leave your loved ones unattended during a Jehovah's witnesses-visit!

I wasn't being serious. Although they did try selling me to the Amish once.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2017, 1:28 am

EzraS wrote:
Embla wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I wasn't being serious. Although they did try selling me to the Amish once.

Haha! Mine used to threaten me with selling me off to a camel-caravan.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 7:53 pm

I've only had them once. I was wearing a specific, notorious Cradle of Filth shirt. They haven't returned.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 11:55 pm

I live in a fifth floor apartment. I haven't had any religious door knockers because they can't get to my front door without a key card.

When I used to live with my Mum I got a few Mormons. They were very nice. They believed utter nonsense but they were very nice. They asked if there was any housework that needed doing. I said the lawn needed to be mowed.

Mowing the lawn was my job and I hated it, especially in hot weather. The Mormons would always travel in pairs. Always of the same sex, either two young men or two young women. The leader of the pair would always be a white American (who did most of the talking) and the subordinate would always be a Pacific Islander.

After I said the lawn needed mowing the white American did not hesitate to order his Melanesian subordinate to mow the front and back lawn for me. So my reward for humouring them was that I got out of mowing the lawn on a hot day. I was rather appalled at the casual racism of mighty wh***y making the Melanesian do all the work while he stood in the shade. It almost looked like the church had given him his own personal slave.

Another time it was two young women (again, a white American who did all of the talking and a Pacific Islander who stood in respectful silence). I told them I was feeling depressed so the leader immediately said it was because I didn't have God in my life. I told her it was because I didn't have a girl in my life. She said that if I got baptised into her church God would ensure I met a beautiful girl there. I didn't believe her.

I suggested that if they wanted to prove that God exists they could bring God with them next time. She giggled at this. She thought it was a funny joke. She didn't realise that I seriously thought this would be the best and possibly the only way they could ever convince me that God exists. To my disappointment she never brought God with her.

She always wanted the three of us to end with a prayer. She offered me the chance to lead the prayer. What a wonderful opportunity for me. All three of us bowed our heads and I spoke loudly - "Dear Heavenly Father, get your holy ass off of your golden throne and get down here, NOW! In the name of Heavenly Father, Amen."

She was extremely offended by this. She thought I was risking divine retribution. I never saw her again after that day.

GeorgeLincoln
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Nov 2017, 12:18 am

I wish I had them more, I'm interested in getting back into religion but I'm too shy to go to church.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2021, 5:04 pm

Sorry to revitalise this thread.
However, I felt it my duty to educate people on this phenomena that people know as door knockers.

The people who knock on people's door are usually Jehovah Witnesses. I know, as my ex-wife was a Jehovah Witness, and tried to force convert me to their strange take on Christianity.

Although if you examine what the Jehovah Witness believe in, they aren't really Christians, as they do not view Jesus Christ as God/Jehovah, but see Jesus Christ as a reincarnation of Archangel Micheal.

During my early relationship with my ex-wife, I was strongly encouraged to convert to become one of Jehovah's Jehovah Witnesses, and for approximately 2 and a half years, I lived the life of a Jehovah Witness, which entailed going to 3 main service meetings a week (which took up two full evenings and a morning a week).

In addition, I also went to a group Bible study group once a week, as well as a "study" bible study meetings a week which were one on one, with an elder, and were designed to get individuals to convert.

So that's 4 nights a week and a morning or afternoon in the week end.
On top of that, as the Sermons for each service meetings included at least 2 evenings of studying the globally subscribed information each week, on our nights off, guess what we got to do?... yep, us lucky folk got to pre-study the study material before the meetings.

So. basically speaking, if you were working in a normal job. say 35 - 40 hours a week, all your free hours were spent
studying the JW's material / the bible. This was partly so that you were prepared to answer questions, but
so that if you were a bright and did your study, you gained a good understanding of the Bible from a JWs perspective,
so that when you eventually went door to door knocking, you were well versed in all the questions and answers that you may find yourself being bombarded with by your potential converts.

After a year or so, I did actually spend a short time going "out on the ministry", which is the phenomena that the Jehovah Witnesses call their door to door knocking / preaching. But I eventually came to my senses, after at least one or two nervous break downs, and broke away.

After breaking away I looked more in depth on the history of the Jehovah Witnesses and found out several facts which made me think that the pseudo religion is more dubious than many other religions.

Firstly, In the history the door to door knocking was introduced by a man called Joseph Rutherford, aka "the Judge", a lawyer who had represented the founder of the original organisations that later became the Watchtower society, a man named Charles Taze Russel.

Before Joseph Rutherford took over the number of people who followed Charles Taze Russel after Mr Russels death,
and introduced his new and improved method of ministry, which originally consisted sending his followers door to door selling books and records of his sermons, in hope to convert more followers and to generate capital, it was the time of the great depression, after all, so money like most things such as jobs etc were scarce.

Mr Rutherford, decided not to go out on the ministry himself, but personally decided to kindly look after a big mansion in California (Beth Sharim) that he had purchased with the Watchtower societies money, which he purchased for the prophets (i.e. Moses, David, Abraham, Isiah etc.) to live in, which he so very kindly looked after like a care taker until their arrival....

Please remember that this was the great depression of america. Not times to spend on lavish luxury, especially if you are obedient discreet and humble servants of Lord Jehovah.

I later then found out that the HQ for the Watchtower society was in Brooklyn, and to me all the parts of the pyramid scheme kind of fell into place.

So... Imagine someone started a religion that quickly grew a following of a few million.
Each church or meeting hall owned by the religion out right. All the people who work for the organisation work for free as they think they are working for God.

Each of the multi million followers do all they can to convert more people to the religion
so as to get them to come down to the hall and put their donations in the donations tin.
Even the clergy (Elders) don't get paid a stipend.

So... with all the followers giving donations each week and no outgoings for rent / salary.
Where does the money go? Must make some profit somewhere down the line.

And what do the followers get out of it, well, their the chosen ones of course! the only people who God really loves...
hmmm. And when did God give mankind the right to speak for him?...

well, if your at the top of the pyramid, and your the one living in the Mansion in CA. I guess you probably don't care...
I hope that I am wrong, otherwise some sadist has millions of people enslaved working for free so as to keep them in mansions...

Lastly may I give you a word of warning
I know the mind set that the JW's on the door to door ministry have

Their main objective is to get you don't to the Hall, where you will be peer pressured into converting to their faith.
The way they can get you down to their hall is by engaging you in any form of debate that will lead to them reading a passage from the Bible to you, which is designed to convince that they have something, which is designed to convince you to come down to the hall.

I personally believe that the WatchTower Organisation is different to main stream Christianity, in that their beliefs are much more brain washed and totalitarian, as their are no subjective opinions within the Jehovah Witnesses belief system, you are either a Jehovah Witness or you are wrong (in their eyes). And being wrong, makes you evil and part of the devils world.

So. if you engage them in debate even for fun, be warned that their only purpose to engage you in debate is to convince you any way they can to come down to their hall, where you will then be pressured into taking more and more, until you are completely converted.

In short, they are much like Vampires. If you invite them in....

Interestingly enough, Bram Stocker's novel Drakula was published around the same time the JW's movement started to grow momentum...

The difference is however, JW's, like Hitler, refuse to mix blood. JW's think that blood can infect you will evil....(or is it just an elaborate cover, they are vampires!!....) (only joking).