What is your country's traditions? Do you dislike it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Do you dislike traditions?
I like traditions 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
I dislike traditions 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
other (please explain) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2017, 11:33 am

I dislike the traditions in my country and general I find traditions nosense.

In Greece first of all we have the marriage and the baptism. Allthough I want to find a woman who loves me and love her and to do with her at list one child I don't understand the meaning of marriage. Other people say that with marriage notarise my relationship and why to do that? I also dislike the ceremony of religious marriage. As for baptism I also dislike the ceremony I don't like to see the priest (who is stranger) to catch the baby and dives it in the pool and the baby cry because he/she is scared this is the main reason that I don't want to become godfather and when I become father I won't want my child(ren) to baptism in church I want just named them. There is also a tradition that a godfather or godmother should baptize only children of the same gender because if someone baptize 2 children of the oposite gender those children will be godsiblings and they couldn't marry each other(???). There is also a tradition that children should named after their grandparents. Analytically the first son should name after his paternal grandfather and the second after his maternal grandfather. The first daughter should name after paternal grandmother and the second after the maternal grandmother. In Cyprus there are the same tradition the only difference is that the first daughter named after maternal grandmother and the second daughter after the paternal grantmother.

I don't understand those tradition. Do you have simillar tradition? Do you dislike them?

Sorry about my English

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2017, 6:38 am

I like many of my country's cultural traditions. Unfortunately, due to ethnic issues, it is not appropriate for someone like me to be taking part in them. I do however respect those traditions and would never do anything deliberately that I knew went against a tradition or was taboo for the indigenous culture. I also support the people keeping the traditions alive and protecting their ability to do so.

Giselle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Dec 2017, 5:34 am

Australia is so multicultural we don't have a lot of traditions common to everyone. The indiginous people's have their traditions and everyone else has imported their own from all over the world.
That makes it very easy to avoid anything traditional if it's not your thing.

C2V, do you mind my asking what country you are from and why you would not take part in the traditions ?