The oldest liscenced comics merchandise?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 2:06 pm

What are thd oldest still-being-made merchandise based on comics characters? Is it:
Buster Brown shoes?
Dingy Moore beef stew?
Rube Goldberg toy " inventions "?
Which?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 2:40 pm

http://www.barkermuseum.com/
Welcome
to the
Barker Character,
Comic and Cartoon
Museum…
Home of 80,000 antique toys and collectibles!
It is a neat place to visit if you are in Connecticut.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 8:07 pm

Buster Brown was very early 20th century. Maybe even very late 19th century.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 8:59 pm

...Yes, all of these concepts from comics. have merch based on them still being sold (Dinty Moore was a character in the comic strip Bringing Up Father - a/k/a Jiggs and Maggie - which perhaps you'd remember, KK.). Which strip character is the oldest?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 9:35 pm

I never actually seen Bringing up Father, believe it or not.

Buster Brown started in 1902.

Bringing up Father started in 1913.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 1:27 pm

...What newspaper/s did your family take when you were a kid in the 60s and 70s, KK?
Bringing Up Father was still a pretty popular comic strip into the 60s, I think. You'lll be rather surprised when I tell you that it ran into 2000! 8O
It was like a lot of old newspaper comic strips that aren't all that widely carried anymore, especially in the bigger/ more " cool " markets, but I guess some small-town papers - Even the international market? - still support sufficiently I guess for their syndicates to keep them croaking along! Now that every syndicated strip can be found on the Web, you can read them all easily enough.
Bringing Up Father shared similarity with the British comic strip Andy Capp, which I assume you remember - and is still running, too.
I saw a statement that the canned stew didn't take its name from the comic strip, but I don't know :roll: ...Do you remember the 1930s pop song " Thanks For The Memory ", sung by Bob Hope and Shirley Ross :? ?

ekortie"]I never actually seen Bringing up Father, believe it or not.

Buster Brown started in 1902.

Bringing up Father started in 1913.[/quote]

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 3:13 pm

My father used to buy the Sunday Times. And probably the Times during the week as well. I don't believe he read the News or the Post that much.

I started reading newspapers in the 1960s. The Herald Tribune had already gone out of business by the time I could read newspapers. I read the Post, the Daily News, and the Times. Also, in the 70s and 80s: New York Newsday. And the Long Island Press in the 60s and 70s.

Of course, I remember "Andy Capp."

"Gasoline Alley" is a very old comic, too---over 100 years old, in fact. It started, I believe, in 1916. It still runs in the News.