So I get called by the autism center...

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 4:56 pm

I got contacted earlier about the ABA therapist job and the called me today... I told them I had aspie traits myself... They asked if I knew about autism already and I said "I've studied it myself" and I even told them "I know about meltdowns because I HAVE them" anyway the lady was so interested she extended a job offer ON THE SPOT... She said I would understand the kids. I had someone tell me on Facebook already "I think you could do a great job with that! Sharing what has helped you and really understanding where they're at and coming from could be really useful." 8O

I really, really don't know about this?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 5:30 pm

Angnix wrote:
I had someone tell me on Facebook already "I think you could do a great job with that! Sharing what has helped you and really understanding where they're at and coming from could be really useful." 8O

I really, really don't know about this?

Having Aspie traits and being able to empathize with others like oneself would not automatically qualify someone as an ABA therapist, so I would first want to see a written job description and to know how much flexibility could actually be possible or tolerable in relation to the ABA agenda. But if trying to be helpful to others is something you might actually *want* to do and if the center is not legally obligated or required to follow a specific ABA plan in order to get paid or whatever, you might be looking at an excellent opportunity.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 5:37 pm

It sounds like a really cool opportunity! :)
Yes, see what you can find out about it.

I wish you the best!

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 6:31 pm

They sent me info about it already I still have a few days to totally make up my mind.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 7:47 pm

What are the pros and cons? Would you have to quit a job to take this one? What do you have to lose or gain by giving it a go? Change can be scary. Is a fear of change holding you back? I hope you find an answer. I personally suck at making decisions :oops:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 8:00 pm

Go for it!! !!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 1:29 am

It could be a wonderful opportunity, or it could be an invitation to wrestle alligators because the boss can't drain the swamp. There is one local job that gets posted regularly, because the boss is crazy. If they think one Aspie is pretty much like another Aspie, you have at least one more clue than they.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 8:42 am

I read reviews online and it said their autism techs complain about not getting trained adequately and not getting payed on time. Hmm?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 8:48 am

Angnix wrote:
I read reviews online and it said their autism techs complain about not getting trained adequately and not getting payed on time. Hmm?

I hope I am wrong here, but that sounds to me like Dear_one's mention of "an invitation to wrestle alligators because the boss [wants to collect some State or Federal money but does not know how to] drain the swamp."