Trump allow import of elephant trophies

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 10:01 am

Wonder what his cult will say for his defense this time... Then again if they don't care about ruining immigrants life in the name of nationalism, why would they care about elephants?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-reverses-obama-era-ban-on-import-of-elephant-trophies-from-zimbabwe/

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 5:05 pm

When elephants go extinct, republicans better pick a different symbol.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 5:22 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Wonder what his cult will say for his defense this time... Then again if they don't care about ruining immigrants life in the name of nationalism, why would they care about elephants?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-reverses-obama-era-ban-on-import-of-elephant-trophies-from-zimbabwe/

It's always amusing to hear a Canadian carp about immigrants considering how harsh Canada's immigration laws are.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2017, 5:40 pm

Trophy hunting is a valuable source of income for nature reserves and locals in some African nations. In many cases, the animals would be hunted into extinction by natives if eccentric rich men didn't delve out thousands to indulge in an admittedly crude form of entertainment. As long as the hunting is managed by reserves, I see no issue with it. It's good for the environment.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 6:32 pm

Nice to see Trump is consistent, we can always rely on him coming up with new and awful laws

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 7:13 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Nice to see Trump is consistent, we can always rely on him coming up with new and awful laws

Removing a recent ban isn't making up a new law now is it?

Btw what's the law in Australia regarding elephants in Zimbabwe?

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 7:31 pm

EzraS wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

It's always amusing to hear a Canadian carp about immigrants considering how harsh Canada's immigration laws are.

I do not make the laws of my country.

AceofPens wrote:
Trophy hunting is a valuable source of income for nature reserves and locals in some African nations. In many cases, the animals would be hunted into extinction by natives if eccentric rich men didn't delve out thousands to indulge in an admittedly crude form of entertainment. As long as the hunting is managed by reserves, I see no issue with it. It's good for the environment.

The problem with that idea is that organized crimes and lords of war can then export those trophies through custom pretending this is from legal hunting. Better to just forbid it, then when customs catch ivory they know what to do.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 7:38 pm

Tollorin wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

I do not make the laws of my country.

It's just funny reading Canadians and Australians constantly vilifying America for stuff their own country is guilty of.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2017, 9:19 pm

Quote:
The problem with that idea is that organized crimes and lords of war can then export those trophies through custom pretending this is from legal hunting. Better to just forbid it, then when customs catch ivory they know what to do.

But isn't that the rationale behind Trump's immigration laws regarding Islam-dominated countries? A few terrorists will slip through, so it's better to ban the whole lot. Personally, I think it best to improve and reinforce the screening system than to force some absolute on the country which has the potential to cause a lot more harm than it prevents. The reserves suffer the most from trophy-hunting bans.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 9:23 pm

EzraS wrote:
It's just funny reading Canadians and Australians constantly vilifying America for stuff their own country is guilty of.

Correction - criticizing Trump and his right wing (gun crazy let's shoot elephants for fun) power base

Last edited by cyberdad on 17 Nov 2017, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 9:26 pm

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Removing a recent ban isn't making up a new law now is it?

Btw what's the law in Australia regarding elephants in Zimbabwe?

Not sure but this is out policy re: trying to bring in ivory
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodivers ... s-shoppers

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 9:49 pm

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Correction - criticizing Trump and his right wing (gun crazy let's shoot elephants for fun) power base

Unless there's no such thing as trophy hunting and fishing in Australia, that's just trowing rocks in a glass house.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 10:31 pm

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Unless there's no such thing as trophy hunting and fishing in Australia, that's just trowing rocks in a glass house.

Our prime minister doesn't facilitate the extinction of endangered species overseas by allowing people to bring back animal trophies

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 11:05 am

His sons must want to go elephant hunting.Two Bungalow Bills'.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 11:24 am

It says so much about the elite in our societies that the like to kill purely for the thrill of killing, here in the UK the royal family pretend to love animals and are patrons of many animal charities but take joy in killing animals.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 5:49 pm

The origin of national parks wasn't due to some "dewy eyed" conservationist, in Feudal Europe the kings kept aside forest for their own personal hunting and ensured it remained "pristine" to allow game animals to breed unfettered

In the UK the story of Robin Hood being a bandit in Sherwood forest is based on people pilfering deer from King John's hunting grounds in Sherwood, the rest of course is fiction

Fast forward to 2017 and the Royals have their traditional estates in Scotland which are purely for recreational hunting of deer and game birds. It's only in the last 50 years the aristocracy in Britain have been preventing from hunting foxes