Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 10:04 am

If you saw someone 'walk into a wall' what assumptions would you or the average neurotypical make about that person?

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 10:19 am

That they weren't looking where they were going. Very likely something was distracting them. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think it's a safe assumption that Aspies and NTs would probably make the same assumption on this one.
:D

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 10:34 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
That they weren't looking where they were going. Very likely something was distracting them. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think it's a safe assumption that Aspies and NTs would probably make the same assumption on this one.

Someone told me that if they saw someone walk into a wall "I would think they need help"

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 10:42 am

Jamesy wrote:
Someone told me that if they saw someone walk into a wall "I would think they need help"

If they hurt themselves, they would definitely need help.

But then I know that's not the kind of help you're talking about.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 1:10 am

Walking into a wall is a typical occurrence for many Autistics as we have decreased motor skills and physical coordination sometimes eludes us. This is something that I do often. If I'm walking around in my apartment I will sometimes slam my shoulder into the corner of a wall because I did not turn wide enough or something.

I stub my toes constantly on the feets of tables and sometimes I don't step properly on stairs and once in a while I slip and fall. These occurrences happen with alarming frequency and I'm afraid clumsiness is a typical Autistic trait. Not all Autistics have this issue but most do I believe.

The worst occurrence was when I was walking around at work in a warehouse and my feet caught some plastic stretch wrap on the floor and gnarled my feet and I fell forward and slammed my elbow on a sharp part of the shelf and sliced me open. I needed eight stitches and there was blood everywhere and it was quite painful and nasty. I was put on disability for 2 weeks at work doing paperwork and pushing a broom.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 5:25 am

My impressions are: "Why so clumsy?" and/or "Why so inattentive?"...

Even without clumsiness or motor coordination issues, there's also the matter of perception and attention... :lol:
Even if it's rare, I get to be guilty of bumping or walking into something, even got hurt or pissed someone off/become a laughing stock because of that. The main difference in my case is that I have enough reflexes to catch myself from falling/bumping/hitting any further whenever it's possible.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.