Do you have to read/think about things multiple times?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2017, 6:58 pm

Often, when I'm reading any kind of text, I have to go through it more than once to truly absorb it. This is especially common for me with books and stories. Even when I'm not looking at the words, I tend to go through the story in my head to try and make sure I completely understand it. But it goes beyond that, too. When I set my alarm before I go to bed, I read the "on" and "off" buttons more than once before pushing the switch up to "on" even when it's clearly already on, just so I'm super-duper, 100% sure it's on. And when I turn my gaming system off, I have a whole checklist of things to look at to make sure it's off and just how I want it.

Do you have similar habits? Is this OCD?

Dragnet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 7:06 pm

Yes I relate,

I have no idea what it means,

Probably means we're nuts and they are letting us down nicely with a catchy title called OCD.

Who would not want OCD?

OCD sounds amazing,

OCD sounds like a horrible disorder and what do you know the pharmaceuticals company have just what we need for $19.99...

I am hooked,

Even though I feel jack s**t different.

Why am I hooked?

Because OCD sounds terrifying, Three similarly large letters explaining my mental status, OMG, I must have a cure... for $19.99...

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2017, 7:44 pm

Dragnet,

You seem like you're mad at me. I'm sorry if I used the term OCD too lightly. I understand that it's a terrible thing to live with. I just wanted a point of reference from others so I could determine whether or not I have a serious problem like you do. Please forgive me.

Dragnet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 7:56 pm

No no my friend, forgive me, I just have a dark sense of humor, comes in handy these days.

I merely mean to parody reality a bit, seems reality has made a parody of me!

I actually don't hold much anger towards anyone, I gots some questions that probably will never be answered and I would love to see the end. What a glorious picture of a great balance of right and wrong reality is.

The bigger picture must be nice,

I take it just a bit too far and things look pretty bleak but then my dark humor gets me through,

Until the end, I can't wait to see such evil done under the banner of the greater good.

I am not angry...

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Nov 2017, 4:38 am

I do that a lot partly cuz of OCD & being very forgetful. I do that with reading partly cuz of my dyslexia too.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 7:44 am

I only need to reread texts if they are hard for me to understand (textbooks, not fiction in my case), but I might easily reread favorite parts for enjoyment.

I do multiple checks to make sure the tap isn't dripping, the oven is off, the doors are locked etc before going to bed or out (but only if I am the last to do so).. Too many things are done on autopilot and when I do mindless checks my mind tends to wander. In order to avoid checking a zillion times, I have to make sure I focus on what I do. "I have checked the veranda door. The veranda door is locked." and then consciously move on to the next place, for instance the oven if I'm in the kitchen, and go through it all consciously and tell myself, often aloud that it's locked/off and I have checked it, and then move on to next item. When one room is clear, I'll say "I have checked everything in the kitchen, the kitchen is clear. I am done with the kitchen." and so on until I can leave/go to bed.

If I don't put that focus on it, I will wonder "did I really check it or did I just think I did?"

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 2:16 pm

Quote:
If I don't put that focus on it, I will wonder "did I really check it or did I just think I did?"

Just like that for me too. Tell myself out loud that I did the thing is definitely a big help. Somehow I remember hearing the words even if I'm not sure I remember doing the thing itself, or maybe just making myself speak forces my attention to the right thing.

The problem of having to re-read is also related to focus/attention for me. I might get distracted by another thought, or be mulling over what I have just read before, then realise after a little while that my eyes have been scanning the page, but I have no awareness of having read any of the words.

When speaking to people, I think the problem is often more of a processing delay. Quite often, I will ask people to repeat something because I didn't understand them, and then just as they start to repeat it, the meaning of it will come to me and I realise that I did hear it OK the first time.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 2:29 pm

^ That can sometimes happen to me too when I read, but it happens more often when I'm watching or listening to something.

I have also asked people to repeat themselves only to understand what they said just as they start to do so.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765