Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 11:49 pm

I hope the linkage works (if not - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFgJCPzkuy8 ) Because oh boy ...
I hate spoken communication anyway, and right now I can't speak at all, but even when I can things like this make it seem way too complicated.
For example, when he is talking about "cool" (really? He's a grown man, FFS) I think he is really referencing status, especially when giving the examples of a employer to employee. I often don't understand this, or even register it. It just doesn't occur to me that anyone else in any given interaction is "higher" or "lower" status than me. Most of my communication is information based - social position has little to do with things.
But that apparently doesn't mean others aren't doing it to me, or the way I speak is giving them some kind of social status comment on them that I, probably, am not even aware of.
I had noted that I always say my name with a downward inflection. It's a fact, not a question. I've noticed that others always seem to say theirs with an upward inflection. Not sure what to even read into that.
What do you think about this aspect of communication? Agree or disagree with the video?
Is this what neurotypical people do all the time? How do they have enough brain space for anything else???

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 12:41 am

Firstly, if he's like me, he's talking about "cool" as an adult because he grew up in either the '70s or '80s
like I did. I still say "cool" too. 8)

As for status, yes, NTs use the rank system on each other ... All ... The ... Time!

Saying your name with a downward inflection indicates that you are a self-confident person.
An upward inflection would indicate someone who is insecure ...
unless you're dealing with Valspeak. ("Valley Girl" talk from the '80s, which influenced some people's speech even years later in certain geographical areas.)

Thank you for posting the video.
I found it fascinating and educational.

And while this stuff comes way more natural to NTs,
apparently even they feel the need to hone their skills now and then ...
otherwise, this video wouldn't exist.