Has anyone treated themselves? And how long did it take?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2017, 9:59 am

fifasy wrote:
Shakti wrote:
fifasy wrote:
If you cook all your meals that need a fat with raw extra virgin organic cold pressed coconut oil a magic spell will make you able to achieve all your dreams. :colors: :compress:

Is there anything coconut oil can't be used for? 8)

Haha, coconut oil, a gift from the gods.

For the past few weeks I've felt better than ever while taking three daily teaspoons (breakfast, lunch and dinner) of raw honey. Before modern processing was developed that is how everyone used to eat honey. Raw honey contains 22 amino acids, 27 minerals and 5000 enzymes.

Some vegans are against honey because bees produce them. There is a counter argument though. Fields of vegetables and fruits require bees in the area to pollinate plants. So it could be said a more vegan world would need a lot more beekeepers to sustain it. If bees are left to their natural habits they would probably not multiply in enogh numbers to support widespread fruit and vegetable farming.

Check this out:

https://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/01 ... ll-curley/

I'm actually with you on the raw honey, it helps a lot with my allergies. Which is one reason I don't like labels. It's just another example anyway on why it's better to use critical thinking than to follow rules. Like, for example, if I'm at a restaurant, I won't order anything with cheese on it, but I won't make a big deal about something being cooked in butter. If veganism looks accessible, more people will try it, which will save many more animals than not eating a teaspoon of butter would. Plus, with economics, the dairy industry wouldn't be financially viable if all the dairy people had was a teaspoon a day.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 10:21 am

Yeah, I agree, when vegans take themselves too seriously it backfires. People are put off. Some grey areas are important to not become too arrogant. My sister is a vegan and I'm aiming to be but at the moment am a vegan about 5 days a week. That's an interesting link you posted, I feel mixed about having honey. I would prefer not to because of knowing there are bees being worked to death (as mentioned in the article) but at the moment I feel I need it, as I'm detoxing after years of junk food and alcohol binging.

For stress release I like Indian head massage. The cost means I won't pay though. If I make a friend soon where I have just moved I might ask them if we could take turns giving each other one as a way of getting it free. :wink:

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2017, 10:32 am

5 days a week is a very good start! I went very quickly from omnivore to vegan, but I was eating minimal dairy already since I knew I was sensitive to it, and dairy is definitely the most physically addictive animal product out there. So once that was out, everything else was easy. I think with honey, for the most part, the honey that does come from bees who have been worked to death is so heavily pasteurized that the health benefits are gone anyway.

And as soon as I have money again, I want to go for weekly massages until the chronic tension in my body is gone! I've had cupping massage before, which is awesome for tension and detoxing.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 10:45 pm

Shakti wrote:
Well, I did say treat, not cure. Autism isn't a disorder or disease, it's a superpower! ;)

The gluten free diet definitely helps. And man I miss the freedom of running. It would easily be cured if my doctor would give me the cortisol injection to clear up the infection in my knee, but she refuses too. Much better idea for me to sit on the couch, and then get sick and need to come to her for something else. I feel like a caged animal.

Right, so if you see it as a superpower, what exactly are you trying to treat? I don't think it's possible to rewire your brain, not that I would want to. If you can pull out a specific trait about yourself that you want to work on like communication skills or sensory issues, then you might be able to identify some strategies to help. Building communication skills can take a while, buying noise cancelling headphone can help right away.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2017, 11:36 pm

starcats wrote:
Shakti wrote:
Right, so if you see it as a superpower, what exactly are you trying to treat? I don't think it's possible to rewire your brain, not that I would want to. If you can pull out a specific trait about yourself that you want to work on like communication skills or sensory issues, then you might be able to identify some strategies to help. Building communication skills can take a while, buying noise cancelling headphone can help right away.

Give me time, I've just figured out that I'm on the spectrum, and it's also only recent news that my son is too. So I am still figuring out the right words to use that are more empowering than disempowering, and in Dutch too since I live here. ;)

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 4:19 am

Coconut oil is 92% saturated fat. That's more saturated fat than lard.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 5:55 am

I took your post to mean treat some of the problems that a lot of us have in common, such as anxiety. When I am anxious I become less coherent, and appear to be less rational, those would be big problems in a custody dispute.

Was there a specific area you feel is a concern?

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 5:58 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
I took your post to mean treat some of the problems that a lot of us have in common, such as anxiety. When I am anxious I become less coherent, and appear to be less rational, those would be big problems in a custody dispute.

Yes, yes, and yes! Anxiety is pretty much the root of all of the things that I want to fix, like anger, procrastination, and social issues. And I have a lot of trouble getting out of bed in the morning, I feel stiff, and unmotivated.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 6:55 am

Shakti wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

Yes, yes, and yes! Anxiety is pretty much the root of all of the things that I want to fix, like anger, procrastination, and social issues. And I have a lot of trouble getting out of bed in the morning, I feel stiff, and unmotivated.

The only way for me to deal with anything, is to make it a priority because if I have more than about five things going on in my life then big things get left. Of the five things at least three need to be running on automatic.

EG
ANXIETY
BROKEN BOILER (I rent, my obsession is contamination, he is due to come into my home on Wednesday)

Looking for work
Relationships with other people
Overall health and fitness

Although the bottom three are important, at the moment I am not allowing them to be priorities. Once the boiler situation is dealt with, my writing will move back into second position. If something isn't on that list it only gets done if I do it by habit eg brush my teeth or feel like it eg writing.

I no longer cater to other peoples expectations of how many things I can have in my life. Previously, I did and failed to satisfy anyone in any area of my life. :(

It is only by putting it first that I am dealing with anxiety, rather than meaning to deal with it. It even has priority over the boiler and my obsessive behaviour, the result of this is I am not allowing myself to become as upset about the boiler as I would have done. I am amazed that I am not currently a wreck on the floor, having barricaded the front door.

Obviously everyone's list would be different, your son would be first, but could you make your anxiety second?
eg in the morning you are finding it difficult, instead of worrying about it then, could you allow yourself to have short lie in, say 10 minutes, try to enjoy them, as you get up remind yourself that you ache because you are getting older ( :) sorry but it's true, I'm 42). Be a bit kinder and forgiving to yourself even if it goes against something else that is very important to you such as physical health and fitness (very important).

If the morning thing gets worse :( you might need to speak to a doctor about depression but prioritising anxiety will make that much less likely :D

A surprising side effect is a reduction in procrastination. Sorry this is so long it sort of go away from me :)

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 7:37 am

fluffysaurus wrote:

The only way for me to deal with anything, is to make it a priority because if I have more than about five things going on in my life then big things get left. Of the five things at least three need to be running on automatic.

EG
ANXIETY
BROKEN BOILER (I rent, my obsession is contamination, he is due to come into my home on Wednesday)

Looking for work
Relationships with other people
Overall health and fitness

Although the bottom three are important, at the moment I am not allowing them to be priorities. Once the boiler situation is dealt with, my writing will move back into second position. If something isn't on that list it only gets done if I do it by habit eg brush my teeth or feel like it eg writing.

I no longer cater to other peoples expectations of how many things I can have in my life. Previously, I did and failed to satisfy anyone in any area of my life. :(

It is only by putting it first that I am dealing with anxiety, rather than meaning to deal with it. It even has priority over the boiler and my obsessive behaviour, the result of this is I am not allowing myself to become as upset about the boiler as I would have done. I am amazed that I am not currently a wreck on the floor, having barricaded the front door.

Obviously everyone's list would be different, your son would be first, but could you make your anxiety second?
eg in the morning you are finding it difficult, instead of worrying about it then, could you allow yourself to have short lie in, say 10 minutes, try to enjoy them, as you get up remind yourself that you ache because you are getting older ( :) sorry but it's true, I'm 42). Be a bit kinder and forgiving to yourself even if it goes against something else that is very important to you such as physical health and fitness (very important).

If the morning thing gets worse :( you might need to speak to a doctor about depression but prioritising anxiety will make that much less likely :D

A surprising side effect is a reduction in procrastination. Sorry this is so long it sort of go away from me :)

Speaking as someone whose aspie-related passion is health, fitness, and longevity, we live so out of balance, which leads to things like ASD, and the aging process isn't meant to begin until we're in our 70s. I've been looking up this stuff all day (it's 1:30 pm here right now), and I think the key to eradicating anxiety is in the body. I've been in shutdown for a few days, brought on by the stress of my legal battle, and my period. I'm normally very active, I teach yoga and pilates and do triathlon training, but I tend to take my rest days for the month all at once when I'm on my period. So since I'm not exercising for the next few days, I decided to spend tomorrow through Wednesday on a juice cleanse, broccoli is supposed to be good for ASD anyway so I'll try to juice lots of that, and lots of beets for my liver, and see if that gives a good kick start. Also, I've been vaporizing nicotine and marijuana, but starting tomorrow I'm ready to ditch the nicotine permanently, and the marijuana for a few months until my tolerance is at a healthy level again. I'm expecting the next few days to be hell, but I get the feeling once I'm free of this dependency, that should take care of a lot of the anxiety, and the morning waking issues.

And also definitely important is not living by other's rules. I came to an epiphany that the only reason ASD is considered a disease or a disorder anyway is because most people are so obsessed with rules that they become blind. So maybe "healing" ASD is really learning how to speak neurotypical, so we can use that to wake the world up! ;)

That's annoying with the boiler, is there somewhere you can go for a hot bath, shower, jacuzzi soak, anything? I teach my students all the time in yoga that you can only really focus on maximum 3 things at once, and teachers of anything often forget their own advice. :P

So many things fighting for spot 1 in my life, my son, my business, my anxiety, my health, my cat's health, and my divorce.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 8:31 am

^Yes physical well being is very important to help mental well being, I didn't mean for you to sit on the sofa eating takeaways. I meant trying to do all the best physical things for your anxiety will add to that anxiety, Do the ones you find help but don't aim for perfect :)

It's not the lack of hot water that's my worry, it's that the plumber will be coming into the house and contamination of my things is my obsessive behaviour.

I can only do one thing at a time, the five things are in my life and important but I only do one at a time.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2017, 8:59 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
^Yes physical well being is very important to help mental well being, I didn't mean for you to sit on the sofa eating takeaways. I meant trying to do all the best physical things for your anxiety will add to that anxiety, Do the ones you find help but don't aim for perfect :)

It's not the lack of hot water that's my worry, it's that the plumber will be coming into the house and contamination of my things is my obsessive behaviour.

I can only do one thing at a time, the five things are in my life and important but I only do one at a time.

I don't think that's a unique idea to us either, workmen getting our things dirty that is! Good luck.

I didn't think you meant for me to be lazy at all. More that I've been reading lots of stories of people who started out as couch potatoes when they were 42 or even older, and gone on to defeat aging, compete in Ironman, etc. So there's hope for anyone, and we all have the power to tell aging to f off! ;)

As for me though, my son and my business are mandatory to focus on, and focusing on the anxiety while focusing on both of those at the same time is probably easier than focusing just on those 2 things.