Has anyone treated themselves? And how long did it take?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2017, 12:16 am

I've recently realized I'm somewhere on the spectrum, after doing research to see how I can help my 3 year old son who was diagnosed. Because I'm in a nasty custody battle that I'm already on the losing end of (despite the fact that my ex said repeatedly that he didn't like being a father, took his father's side when he assaulted me, and that I have never hit or yelled at my son), I'm holding off on getting an official diagnosis, as I don't want it held against me as I've already got so much held against me.

So, I work as a yoga teacher, I can use that as part of helping myself. Also food as medicine (I'm vegan, so vegan-friendly options only please). Also herbs. I live in Holland, so getting marijuana is easy and it's very safe here. I have been taking melatonin, but still, I keep waking up in the middle of the night. I'm open to those and anything else that's plant medicine, not pharmaceuticals though. I've been interested by binaural beats or similar, and if there's a good track that's useful for ASD, I'll download it onto my phone a day use it when I'm out. And of course, reading about it.

Have any of you guys got other free or affordable options that work for self-treatment? And about how long would you say it took before you felt like your autism was manageable? By manageable, my big criteria is that I can realistically go into public without having a meltdown, and that I have the motivation to run my business again.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 12:17 am

Epsom salt baths can help you relax and elevate your mood.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2017, 12:23 am

That's one thing about living in Holland, hardly any of the houses here have bathtubs. I don't understand this. So I haven't had a bath in years. :(

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 12:55 am

Well, I discovered Epsom salts when I used it on my face
to help heal a skin condition I had.
I mixed Epsom salts with water and applied it to my face ... and then noticed
that I started feeling calm, relaxed, and in a good mood.

One thing to be careful of:
Do not get Epsom salts in your eyes ... that really stings and hurts bad.

Another thing you can do:
soak your feet in a bucket of Epsom salt water.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2017, 2:43 am

I have some Epsom salts, which I ordered to do a liver cleanse. Though my experience with liver cleanses is they made me more likely to have meltdowns. Reading further and speaking with a naturopath about this, it looks like I need to first cleanse my intestines, kidneys, and do a heavy metal cleanse before attempting liver flushes again, and a good comprehensive cleanse is something I feel I need to incorporate into my treatment regime. My liver is very heavily congested, anger is held here.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 2:52 am

If you cook all your meals that need a fat with raw extra virgin organic cold pressed coconut oil a magic spell will make you able to achieve all your dreams. :colors: :compress:

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2017, 3:06 am

fifasy wrote:
If you cook all your meals that need a fat with raw extra virgin organic cold pressed coconut oil a magic spell will make you able to achieve all your dreams. :colors: :compress:

Is there anything coconut oil can't be used for? 8)

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 5:44 am

I found I did well on the local diet in Hong Kong.
Lots of leafy green vegetables, rice-based dishes, soy-bean products.
Hiking and cycling seemed to help, too, in moderation.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2017, 6:14 am

MrsPeel wrote:
I found I did well on the local diet in Hong Kong.
Lots of leafy green vegetables, rice-based dishes, soy-bean products.
Hiking and cycling seemed to help, too, in moderation.

I already eat a lot like that, also lots of raw food. I miss running, knee is injured right now. :(

beady
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 6:32 am

I'm sorry that you are in such a difficult situation. There is no getting around the stress that that will bring to you. When I am feeling overwhelmed I like to come here - to Wrong Planet!
I avoid the posts that are trying to probe into my personal feelings for their own self serving interests or most of the ones that are trying to study this population.
Our fellow neuro diverse folks offer a lot of comfort and camaraderie to me just to know they are out there. So, I read and post if I can and it calms my nerves.

Aside, as I understand it, Epson salt is great outside your body but toxic when ingested.
And coconut oil is indeed magic! That and a nice hot cup of Jasmine green tea!
If there is any possibility of aggression please keep yourself and your son safe and maybe install a camera that might capture proof of others who may be a threat.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 7:45 am

Hi
Sorry about your running, I'm just starting back up (more of a slow jog) you must miss the euphoria that it brings.
I am prioritising anything that helps with anxiety, as I think that exacerbates everything else, I haven't been trying long but I do feel it has made a difference. I'm thinking of long term anxiety so that I don't just avoid things that are difficult in order to avoid short term anxiety.

Good luck with your case, I think you were right not to get a diagnosis until later.

Mr SmokeTooMuch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2017, 8:32 am

Gluten free diet helped a lot with my gastrointestinal problems .

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 9:15 am

What the heck is she talking about?.

You don't "treat" autism. It doesn't work that way.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2017, 9:23 am

Well, I did say treat, not cure. Autism isn't a disorder or disease, it's a superpower! ;)

The gluten free diet definitely helps. And man I miss the freedom of running. It would easily be cured if my doctor would give me the cortisol injection to clear up the infection in my knee, but she refuses too. Much better idea for me to sit on the couch, and then get sick and need to come to her for something else. I feel like a caged animal.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 9:52 am

Shakti wrote:
fifasy wrote:

Haha, coconut oil, a gift from the gods.

For the past few weeks I've felt better than ever while taking three daily teaspoons (breakfast, lunch and dinner) of raw honey. Before modern processing was developed that is how everyone used to eat honey. Raw honey contains 22 amino acids, 27 minerals and 5000 enzymes.

Some vegans are against honey because bees produce them. There is a counter argument though. Fields of vegetables and fruits require bees in the area to pollinate plants. So it could be said a more vegan world would need a lot more beekeepers to sustain it. If bees are left to their natural habits they would probably not multiply in enogh numbers to support widespread fruit and vegetable farming.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2017, 9:59 am

fifasy wrote:
Shakti wrote:
fifasy wrote:

Haha, coconut oil, a gift from the gods.

For the past few weeks I've felt better than ever while taking three daily teaspoons (breakfast, lunch and dinner) of raw honey. Before modern processing was developed that is how everyone used to eat honey. Raw honey contains 22 amino acids, 27 minerals and 5000 enzymes.

Some vegans are against honey because bees produce them. There is a counter argument though. Fields of vegetables and fruits require bees in the area to pollinate plants. So it could be said a more vegan world would need a lot more beekeepers to sustain it. If bees are left to their natural habits they would probably not multiply in enogh numbers to support widespread fruit and vegetable farming.

Check this out:

https://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/01 ... ll-curley/

I'm actually with you on the raw honey, it helps a lot with my allergies. Which is one reason I don't like labels. It's just another example anyway on why it's better to use critical thinking than to follow rules. Like, for example, if I'm at a restaurant, I won't order anything with cheese on it, but I won't make a big deal about something being cooked in butter. If veganism looks accessible, more people will try it, which will save many more animals than not eating a teaspoon of butter would. Plus, with economics, the dairy industry wouldn't be financially viable if all the dairy people had was a teaspoon a day.